1 ... 9 10 11 12
TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/7/24 11:32 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Look at this sequence of alerts I got this morning from Accuweather. This thing is growing fast!

I'm  looking at the radar and not seeing a lot of rotation out in the gulf? Sneak attack o

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/7/24 12:05 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Look at this sequence of alerts I got this morning from Accuweather. This thing is growing fast!

I'm  looking at the radar and not seeing a lot of rotation out in the gulf? Sneak attack o

Radar doesn't reach out that far. Check the satellite images.

Here is my go to radar locally. They claim it is the most powerful radar for any TV stations in the world.

https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/radar

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/7/24 12:15 p.m.

I have family on the Space Coast, and while they won't be seeing a storm surge, it looks like they are predicting 5-8" of rain.  They are hunkering down with extra water and food.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/7/24 12:22 p.m.

Man, I feel for you guys down in FL. Hoping the damage is minimal and you all make it through this. Has there ever been two major hurricanes to hit what's basically the same area twice this close together? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/24 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I don't think we would consider this the same area.  There's at least a 5 hour drive between them and vastly different ecosystems.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/7/24 12:35 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I have family on the Space Coast, and while they won't be seeing a storm surge, it looks like they are predicting 5-8" of rain.  They are hunkering down with extra water and food.

And now that it is a cat 5, they are considering evacuating to family in Marietta.  Based on where they are, am I correct in assuming it'd be better to go up 95 to 10 to 75, rather than straight over to the potential E36 M3show that is Orlando?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/7/24 12:41 p.m.
Stampie said:

I don't think we would consider this the same area.  There's at least a 5 hour drive between them and vastly different ecosystems.

Gotcha. Last time I saw the track, it was encompassing the panhandle as well. And as we know, things change! 

Stampie
10/7/24 12:56 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Yeah from the Space Coast I'd head up 95.  By Marietta do you mean north of Atlanta?  Might be best to go all the way to Savannah and then take 16 and/or country roads.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/24 12:56 p.m.

Here is a wind speed prediction for Wednesday just before noon and the link to the forecast site:

https://digital.weather.gov/?layers=00BFTFTTTTT&region=7&element=9&mxmz=false&barbs=true&zoom=5&lat=21.7&lon=-91.7

That is a lot of windspeed at the coast line... Everybody hang on to something heavy.

The wave heights on another of the plot options shows over 20ft waves in the gulf.

Stampie
10/7/24 1:03 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:
Stampie said:

Gotcha. Last time I saw the track, it was encompassing the panhandle as well. And as we know, things change! 

Reading the cone is an art.  This is the experimental cone as of right now.

What I look at is the middle line of the cone.  That's of course the highest probability.  As you get closer to the edges the chances go way down.  Then I look at the Tropical Storm (yellow)  and Hurricane (pink) watches.  That gives you a good idea of the effect on the area.  Tropical Storm is 15 minute yard clean up.  Hurricane varies according to the cat level it's at when you see it.  My gut on this one is Tampa is going to be hit hard.  Harder than Helene hit the Gulf Coast.  Going from there Orlando will feel it pretty bad and then the Daytona area.  Just me and not advice to anyone else but I'd be planning on GTFO if in Tampa, maybe the same in Orlando depending on my comfort level with my area, and sit and wait in the Daytona area. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/24 1:28 p.m.

Well, this storm may take care of my excess project car problem. Going to go right over our head, maybe as a Cat 5. Hoping my roof stays on and my trees stay up.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
10/7/24 1:46 p.m.

I was going to fly out to St Louis at 8:50 am tomorrow, the airport closes at 9am. But they cancelled my flight so I'll be riding it out. I am 10 miles north of USF, biggest worry is going to be the wind and any trees. A lot of Tampa proper has a lot of Oak trees on the streets and thats going to be a huge issue.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/7/24 2:30 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I'm worried that a lot of the Asheville folks don't have flood insurance. 

If it isn't typical for that region, and/or required by the mortgage company, probably not.  And home owners does not equal flood insurance.  Ohio River flood 1997 & I had it, required due to the level of flood plain I was on for my mortgage company, but a lot of low-income locals didn't have it.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/7/24 2:32 p.m.

Just upgraded? To a cat5 storm. Yikes. Went from cat2 to cat5 breakfast to lunch. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/24 3:12 p.m.

Oh man, the Blue Ridge Parkway got hammered. I had heard it was closed indefinitely but these are the first pictures I've seen. 

May be an image of tree

May be an image of road

May be an image of road and covered bridge

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/7/24 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Wow

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/7/24 3:27 p.m.

175mph at the 2pm Eastern update. That is highest I've ever seen in the 28yrs I've been tracking these monsters.

edit: 180 at 5pm update. I think the US record is 190.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
10/7/24 3:44 p.m.

My MIL is down at her condo in Sarasota - pretty far inland on the 4th floor, but still.  She's down there without a car and missed her window to get a flight back to Pittsburgh.  Yikes.  I don't see this being a fun one to ride out. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/24 3:51 p.m.

Its currently still north of the the Yucatan peninsula and the pressure in the eye is down into the low 900mbar range. Thats13.2psi from the standard day 14.7psi (that's 26.90inHg from 29.92inHg for the aviation folks). There is a lot of energy involved in pulling the atmospheric pressure down 1.5psi. The lowest recorded pressure in a hurricane is 882mbar in 2005 (Wilma). We are getting close to record levels with this one and it still has time to build as it heads toward FLA.

The hook from ENE to E as it passes over Florida in the predictions is interesting. There is a lower pressure disturbance of the Miami coast  that is helping the track turn more eastward.

chaparral
chaparral GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/24 4:07 p.m.

If you're in the path, you need to be loading up and driving north to Atlanta or Charleston right now. Cat 5 storms don't play around. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/24 4:07 p.m.

Petition to break this into two threads?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/7/24 5:58 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

Petition to break this into two threads?

I dont think we can break individual posts into a new thread, but here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/hurricane-milton-thread/273913/page1/

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/24 9:33 a.m.

Cherry on the E36 M3 sundae that was Hurricane Helene. 

White supremacists are aiding rescue efforts in small towns while recording videos as recruitment tools and spreading misinformation about the federal response. 

"When the Hurricane-Relief Worker Turns Out To Be a Neo-Nazi" -Wall Street Journal

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/24 12:21 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Not to mention the Florida Meteorologists getting death threats for debunking conspiracy theorists.

Yahoo.com: Meteorologists Are Getting Death Threats From Insane Hurricane Conspiracy Theorists

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/12/24 1:33 p.m.

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2u7xR0uz9T7FmEFEJwn60gYCm5jeWrzjWimkpro8HN95BqzlMXaAeF0NEYeo33hZ