1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 9:34 a.m.

Here's something fun to do when it gets around zero. Take a cup of boiling water outside and throw it into the air. It vaporizes immediately and never hits the ground.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/15 9:37 a.m.

Another fun one... -15. Go outside and pee. You can make yellow stalagmites.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/15 9:40 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Now that is cold. It's not particularly warm here in central Ohio (been hovering around 0*f). I find it very ironic that, having moved here from California, I'm less bothered by the cold than the native Ohioans.

people originally from the columbus area are bob costas'. there are ohioans, then there are northeast ohioans. we're built tougher than the other ones, and honestly should be our own state as i prefer not to associate myself with anyone who lives farther than 50 miles south of the lake.

come up here, nobody cares except select few whiny parents that don't know how to dress their kids for the cold so they bitch until the schools close.

up to a whopping -1, 11 degrees better than when i got up, no work going to target. taking both kids, they're not going to die because it's cold. my 7 month old could give a crap about the cold, she smiles when she goes outside.

supposed to be 32 high tomorrow, a 52 degree swing from last night, i'm working outside putting in some windows that we decided wisely not to do tuesday.

patgizz
2/20/15 9:42 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Another fun one... -15. Go outside and pee. You can make yellow stalagmites.

if you pee on the back porch railing you can make yellow stalactities.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/15 9:43 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: We had a pipe freeze in the house yesterday. Luckily we caught it before it burst the pipe. The light bulb in our pump house had gone out. I don't know what we'll do when we can't find incandescents anymore. Single digits is too damn cold for central NC!

CFLs suck, but luckily, those of us that held out are now getting LEDs for cheap. I love LED light bulbs. They're the best upgrade you can do to a shop/drop light, you can't destroy them!

Edit: I just realized you were using the incandescent for heat, my bad... You're way better off to get a ceramic heat bulb (like the types used for reptiles or poultry), it'll last forever and be a lot more consistent... Unless you needed the light, too :)

slefain
slefain UberDork
2/20/15 9:50 a.m.

It is only in the 20s here in Atlanta, but I swear I saw a squirrel trying to fluff his nuts this morning.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 10:00 a.m.
slefain wrote: It is only in the 20s here in Atlanta, but I swear I saw a squirrel trying to fluff his nuts this morning.

Are you sure it wasn't this guy?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/20/15 10:40 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I hate the weather channel. another 6-12 inches of snow expected tomorrow.

You should hate TWC for much more than that.....

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 10:40 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Another fun one... -15. Go outside and pee. You can make yellow stalagmites.
if you pee on the back porch railing you can make yellow stalactities.

I tried but there was too much shrinkage. Damn it's cold out.

slefain
slefain UberDork
2/20/15 10:48 a.m.
Woody wrote:
slefain wrote: It is only in the 20s here in Atlanta, but I swear I saw a squirrel trying to fluff his nuts this morning.
Are you sure it wasn't this guy?

The little guy lives in the tree next to my home office window. I watch him, he watches me. I have named him Smugglenuts.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/20/15 11:24 a.m.

-33C (-27F)here this morning, base temp. Wind Chill was -41C (don't need to convert that -40 is -40 in both scales!).

I put the Golf in the garage last night. The last time it was this cold the Golf cranked but wouldn't fire.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
2/20/15 11:46 a.m.

Went to a no water call last night. Customer said the pump kept kicking on and off real fast. Turned out to be frozen pipes 5 feet underground. That means a backhoe will have to dig down thru 5 feet of frozen dirt. Not! Luckily its going to rain here on Sunday, so they set about clearing all the snow between the house and the pump house. Maybe the rain and warmer temps will be enough to get the water going again. If not, welcome to the 1800s for a while.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
2/20/15 11:49 a.m.

There's been a rabbit coming up onto my snow covered deck to get at the bird seed and cracked corn we throw out for the birds and squirrels. My kids have started tossing carrots and greens under the gas grill for the rabbit. Yesterday they didn't put any out and the rabbit came to the slider door and started scratching on the window looking for his carrots. I'm guessing its the same rabbit my daughter saved from the mink last week.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/20/15 12:15 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

Sounds like a good excuse for a bonfire.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
2/20/15 1:02 p.m.
Duke wrote: Zero here in Delaware, with about -20 wind chill. Some of the pixels are out on my E46 ZOMGWTF time to junk it. Even worse is that the thermostat has been failing for a year and I've been too lazy to fix it. Of course, that means now it's stuck open and the temperature needle barely lifts off the peg, and there's no cabin heat. If it didn't have seat heaters I'd be one chilly MF.

Block off the radiator.. Old time trick

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/15 1:06 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

the rabbit sounds like it would like to become domesticated

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
2/20/15 1:15 p.m.
tr8todd wrote: Went to a no water call last night. Customer said the pump kept kicking on and off real fast. Turned out to be frozen pipes 5 feet underground. That means a backhoe will have to dig down thru 5 feet of frozen dirt. Not! Luckily its going to rain here on Sunday, so they set about clearing all the snow between the house and the pump house. Maybe the rain and warmer temps will be enough to get the water going again. If not, welcome to the 1800s for a while.

What ? No body know how to thaw frozen pipes ? There was an article in the local paper this morning on the subject. Years ago we used to thaw farm pipes with a portable welder.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
2/20/15 2:28 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
Beer Baron wrote: Now that is cold. It's not particularly warm here in central Ohio (been hovering around 0*f). I find it very ironic that, having moved here from California, I'm less bothered by the cold than the native Ohioans.
people originally from the columbus area are bob costas'. there are ohioans, then there are northeast ohioans. we're built tougher than the other ones, and honestly should be our own state as i prefer not to associate myself with anyone who lives farther than 50 miles south of the lake.

Yeah, and I get to field the obligatory questions when people hear I'm from "California". "Bet you must be hating yourself with this weather!" Actually, no. I will take cold and snowy over dark gray, torrential rains, and gale-force winds that are constantly threatening to black out the power and block roads in the tiny little coastal town I was living in.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
2/20/15 2:55 p.m.

Speaking of Ohioans- When I went to OSU there was a joke that when the kids in West Virginia graduated from high school, they had a choice- diploma or bus ticket to Columbus. Had not given a diploma out in years.

patgizz
2/20/15 3:01 p.m.
cwh wrote: Speaking of Ohioans- When I went to OSU there was a joke that when the kids in West Virginia graduated from high school, they had a choice- diploma or bus ticket to Columbus. Had not given a diploma out in years.

how do we know the toothbrush was invented in west virginia? because if it were invented anywhere else it would be a teethbrush.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/20/15 3:18 p.m.

How can you tell an Arkansan isn't telling the truth? They lie through their tooth.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/15 3:21 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to tr8todd: the rabbit sounds like it would like to become Hasenpfeffer.

FTFY

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/15 3:38 p.m.

Favorite pickup line in Arkansas "Hey babe, nice tooth!"

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/20/15 3:45 p.m.

So cold the woodstove wouldn't keep up last night and the furnace coughed to life, which is impressive because it was set at like 50* and was pumping what must have looked like diesel jello.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/21/15 12:30 p.m.

It got down to 12 degrees here but no snow. It did break the previous record of 18 set in 1979. Pipes etc are fine.

Occasionally it gets DAMN cold here in The Armpit, it once got down to 0, IIRC this was 1982. I was driving the MGB roadster, lived in a trailer so no garage. I was convinced it wasn't going to start but it fired right up. I had taken precautions so had running water etc, made a cup of coffee and took off for work. When I got there I still had maybe 1/2" in the bottom of the cup and it was still a little warm, I poured it on the grass next to the car. When I got out the coffee had already frozen solid.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5GIdIxjYpzRNMJcu3RnPgL3qthZaqevDJFnWdjnZWZaAYJjQkXJVMyhOzNGo2cjE