J_D
J_D New Reader
5/31/24 9:32 p.m.

I am replacing a intermittent faulty fuel pump on my Honda Civic Type R. Honda has no parts so I have gone to the aftermarket with a AEM 340 fuel pump. Bonus it can support higher power if I get hit by the mod bug (after driver mod is complete). 

When installing the pump, there is a o-ring to replace. Anyone know what kind of lubricant is safe to use on the o-ring

• Gasoline
  • Silicone spray
  • Vaseline
  • WD40
  • White Lithium Grease 

These are all answers I have found in my google searches. Some say to avoid silicone because it's not hydrocarbon compatible, and can damage the fuel injector/o2 sensor/cat if it gets downstream of the filter. 

What say you, GRM?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/24 9:43 p.m.

I generally lube o-rings with whatever material they're going to be sealing with, so in this case I'd use a bit of gas.

I do doubt that the minor amount of whatever else you want to use would hurt anything..  think about it by volume, a drop or two of silicone spray in a 12+ gallon tank is fark-all in a big ship. 

J_D
J_D New Reader
5/31/24 9:43 p.m.

That is what I thought too

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/31/24 10:33 p.m.

We use alcohol on all our seals at ZF. Evaporates after you get it together. Leaves no residue.

J_D
J_D New Reader
5/31/24 11:09 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Is that ZF as in the gearbox company? And do you mean like 70% isopropanol alcohol ?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/24 12:11 a.m.

You don't need anything fancy. Use an o-ring rubber compound that works with ethanol. Standard NBR might even do the trick. Maybe ethylene propylene? For lube just use the closest motor oil. You're using so little it won't make a difference and will help with the install.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/1/24 12:12 a.m.

In reply to J_D :

Yes, and yes.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/1/24 2:13 p.m.

I use this. Got it from Amazon. I'm a little nerdy about having all the special sauces for different tasks. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/24 8:37 p.m.

When I first started working on subs, a senior mechanic was showing me how to rebuild an air valve. He pulled the o-ring out of the package and blew on it, I said "WTF?" and he replied "system fluid."

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
6/4/24 9:32 p.m.

In reply to preach :

Silicon o-ring lube or a light grease (plain Vaseline).

If you love it, lube it first!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vqEw7Ae7StaLMo3teB9FTbteUnnnBO5htIGgh0hS94LaLlHrSMux68of8vADvU44