1 2 3
Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/24 7:56 p.m.
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) said:

Question on the flood vent. Couldn't a hinged piece of siding that swung out be just as effective as that big hole? Fishing boats use them to let water that comes over the bow to flow off the deck back into the ocean. Being you are a engineer, I'm going to guess you could design one that would be a better solution than that governmental stupidity that is pictured.

I'm just going to delete them entirely when we move the walls next month.  I left them basically until the last visit from the inspector.  :-)

Kendall Frederick
2/29/24 9:44 p.m.

A few quick shots of progress.  The end wall has been moved and the lean to enclosed, it's now 2730 sqft.  Chopped a doorway into the former lean to, it now has doors at both ends.  Closed cell spray foam on walls, open cell on underside of roof. 

Wired it with metal conduit before the insulation, it has ~40 outlets, six 50A 240v outlets, 12 high bay LED lights. More in a couple of weeks, quite a bit of stuff going in.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/1/24 9:13 a.m.

Wow. Looks terrific!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/24 10:40 a.m.

I like the creative thinking with the lean to, great looking shop!

Kendall Frederick
3/1/24 4:25 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

I like the creative thinking with the lean to, great looking shop!

There are several things which I should have planned better, and a few things that I was stuck with because of the county's square footage limitation.  

Now that I have the CO and the appraiser has come and gone, this is my best shot at making it better.

It was a lot more work than just getting it designed and built this way, but I've had fun working on it (mostly!)

Kendall Frederick
3/11/24 10:25 p.m.

Still working slowly but steadily, solo for the most part.  Three sections of wall have T1-11 siding on them and French cleats to hang things from.  I did get some neighborly help with the skid steer for the latest addition..

What sort of large steel lump might this be?

That was a LOT of climbing up and down ladders and chain hoist hauling.

I had help from a pro doing the initial conduit and wiring.  Now I'm trying my hand at adding another circuit and conduit run for the lift power.  Ignore any bends that look extraneous..

Bendpak doesn't include a shutoff switch for the lift, but I decided to add one on the post just above the power unit.  I figured I wanted a short final run of power wiring in case of future changes anyway.  I pulled 90 feet of wire for this thing, I'd like for it to stay unmolested from now on.

I will probably be testing it for the first time Wednesday or Thursday.  Wish me luck!

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/13/24 11:15 a.m.

I put a 50A sub panel right there, then wired a 220 and 110 outlet to the side of the lift post.  Most handy outlet in the whole shop. 

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
3/13/24 12:45 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

Still working slowly but steadily, solo for the most part.  Three sections of wall have T1-11 siding on them and French cleats to hang things from.  I did get some neighborly help with the skid steer for the latest addition..

I had help from a pro doing the initial conduit and wiring.  Now I'm trying my hand at adding another circuit and conduit run for the lift power.  Ignore any bends that look extraneous..

Bendpak doesn't include a shutoff switch for the lift, but I decided to add one on the post just above the power unit.  I figured I wanted a short final run of power wiring in case of future changes anyway.  I pulled 90 feet of wire for this thing, I'd like for it to stay unmolested from now on.

I will probably be testing it for the first time Wednesday or Thursday.  Wish me luck!

For the lift foundation, did you follow the Bendpak recommendations of 3/4" rebar on a 12" grid, or did you try something else?  I'm looking to add a similar Bendpak in the near future.

Kendall Frederick
3/14/24 10:36 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I put a 50A sub panel right there, then wired a 220 and 110 outlet to the side of the lift post.  Most handy outlet in the whole shop. 

That's a good idea.. I have 220 and 110 outlets all over the place but it might be nice to have one on the lift post also.  I wired the lift with its own dedicated 30A circuit, just trying not to be sloppy and run it on the same 50A circuit that's around the shop for the welders and other gear.

Kendall Frederick
3/14/24 10:51 p.m.
glyn ellis said:
For the lift foundation, did you follow the Bendpak recommendations of 3/4" rebar on a 12" grid, or did you try something else?  I'm looking to add a similar Bendpak in the near future.

When I was initially looking at requirements for the concrete for a 2 post lift (not necessarily a Bendpak) I saw a lot of recommendations to pour a deeper pad for the post area, and that's what we did (8" thick 4'x4' section at each post, fiber reinforced concrete).  Bendpak seems to be the most stringent in their recommendations with the rebar, all of the other 2 post manufacturers require ~4" thick concrete and don't mention rebar.  If I had a do-over, I would add the rebar but I think it'll be OK with the deep sections.

Kendall Frederick
3/14/24 10:53 p.m.

Really working the lift hard with this massive first vehicle..

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/15/24 5:36 p.m.

LOL lifts popcan with crane.  Love it.  Great shop sir, all of us are very jealous.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/21/24 6:04 a.m.

This is what I did.  Conduit to a sub panel, then pump and outlets.  Notice that it has open spaces for more breakers for an on lift light circuit.  That's 220v below the 110v outlet, currently has a space heater plugged in.  

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/21/24 6:12 a.m.

Kendall Frederick
4/15/24 7:27 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I don't know why but I didn't see this when you posted it; I like the idea.  I put a cutoff switch on mine with conduit to it, then a run down to the pump.  I might change it out for a sub panel like yours so I can run some outlets there.  I didn't wire the overhead cutoff switch yet because I didn't think I'd ever need it with my vehicles, but I could run that down the conduit also if I get back into it for this.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LWkaTz3EG07OOSmWRVn1fP6oqIdnaS97VTRzXKgYvHmp9RmjYNj7INSjXabc4arw