brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/25/24 2:43 p.m.

Went to Harbor Frieght the other day and was looking at their 72" tool box. What really intrigued me were the pictures in the units on how they organized the tools. I have a couple small rollers but the shelves aren't very deep. So just wondering what other people with smaller roller boxes are doing to organize theirs. So what I'm asking for is pictures of peoples 24"-36" wide stackable roller base cabinet's.

Thank you.

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
7/29/24 9:58 a.m.

I personally organized my smaller units using foam cut outs in smaller drawers and then bins you can stack in deeper/larger drawers. Amazon has some great options, instead of searching for items that are made specifically for tool boxes, look up small drawer organizers or even kitchen organization items. alot of them can be used in tool boxes and are cheaper. 

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
7/30/24 4:13 p.m.

Excuse the mess. My metric drawer. I have another wrench set to fit in here somehow.

There simply is no substitute for the Snap-on KRA15A wrench rails. Cut to length, pre-applied double stick tape. They are low profile and perfect for utilizing the superior shallow drawers in a tool box.

Ernst makes an array of wrench rails but their version of the snappy is too tall.  this one looks shallower

But these days with 3d printers or Kaizen foam, anything is possible

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/24 9:41 p.m.

In for the pics. I have an old Snap-On KR-557C roll cab with a KR-537A top box, both with lots of shallow drawers. I love them for their age and style, but hate the little dividers they put in almost every drawer. Seems like everything I want to store is about a quarter inch too big to fit.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/30/24 10:40 p.m.

All my metric wrenches are in one drawer and the SAE in another.  There are people who tell me my garage is really organized.

Darn it!

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
7/30/24 11:51 p.m.

Back when I was a millwright I was one of these people

And then one slow production day a few weeks after mandatory 5S training, I did a quickie foam organizer for something to keep me busy.

It changed the way i worked completely.  It also saved almost an hour a day. A co-worker would give me a hard time about it every time he saw it. The next pump failure we gathered up our tools to meet at the work site. I had everything I needed in seconds while he shuffled through his drawers for seven or eight minutes to get the same items. 

I kept it up. Did the same in the garage at home and by the time I moved on to auto restoration it had become habit. 

In 15 years I have not lost a single tool. Not a 10mm socket, not anything.  A quick glance into any drawer lets me know if anything is out of place. 

It is time to redo my socket drawer. It has grown out of control.

DarkMonohue
7/31/24 9:16 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

All my metric wrenches are in one drawer and the SAE in another.  There are people who tell me my garage is really organized.

Darn it!

I can smell that drawer from here.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/31/24 11:43 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Hmmmmm, I saw that video on cleaning your screwdrivers.  I'll add it to my list of projects.

DarkMonohue
8/1/24 1:01 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

You can get rid of the Craftsman screwdriver smell? Not that it's delicious, but it sort of represents a mechanical coming of age to me.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
8/2/24 10:29 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

it sort of represents a mechanical coming of age to me.

Same! It's a shame craftsman took their hand basket with them, but I still remember that 'ol smell, as I started being allowed to use Dad's tools, in the '60s!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/24 12:04 a.m.

I looked at this a while back and then slowly backed away from the rabbit hole. You can order foam sheets from anywhere and then trace and cut them yourself. If you want something more professional these two stood out:

This company makes foam trays that are pre-cut for popular tool sets. Good if you have one of those tool sets, not so much otherwise: https://www.foamfittools.com/toolorganizers.php

This company makes custom foam trays based on a picture that you send them of your tools, laid out how you want them, in the drawer: https://tracemyspace.com/pages/gallery

Some of the stuff from Trace My Space is drool-worthy, but also pricey!

======================================================

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
8/14/24 11:17 a.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Darn it!

This reminds me of my dads tool box growing up. The panic 10 year old me would feel when he would ask me to grab a specific tool but the drawer looked like this.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
8/14/24 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Paris Van Gorder :

Oh, that drawer is easy! It only has screwdrivers mixed together cheeky . My dad tried to track me to be organized, but his liked much worse than that surprise

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ae0qVCNKvcnomgKUkKKsqg9VYKoICvPDzWOi0Vroe01TauWi3H8zzNXWHqgY5IMk