1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 160
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/30/23 6:58 p.m.
BradLTL said:
aircooled said:

I also had a thought for a "mercy rule" for Colin.  His car HC is getting absurd and his lead is almost unsurmountable at this point.  Maybe we give him the option to switch car and loose his HC... but.... certainly not a fast car....

I would say to cap the penalty for Colin.  He's kicking our ass, but I don't think we want to make driving in the series un-fun.

An alternate theory for the next series.  We run teams of 2.  You are paired with the opposite of your finishing position in this series.  So, Colin will get partnered up with whoever is scored dead ass last and the points will be cumlative for the team.  Whoever gets 2nd is paired with the 2nd-to-last finisher, and so on.  We also need to increase the point payout for more positions (maybe 20).  We'll still apply penalty weight for finishing position for individuals.

That sounds complex.

However, along those lines, the latest version of AC Server Manager supports driver swaps...

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/23 2:05 a.m.

Two weeks ago, at Sugo, I found a hole in the track and went into a sort of stationary freefall from which there is no recovery. Tonight I managed the same trick at Goodwood during the second heat. Pretty frustrating, too, as I'd been practicing a bunch and felt like I was making good time for a change.

For future reference, Alt+F4 will kill AC. You can then rejoin the server through Content Manager and continue if the race has not yet finished.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/31/23 8:38 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Yes that is really frustrating.  Some of the user created tracks have quite a few holes and it can really ruin your night if you hit one.  Sorry about your luck there :(

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/31/23 12:12 p.m.

So.... last night... was... interesting.   Honestly, I will look at the review, but I really don't think there was bad racing or driving involved.  I know we gave Dean a rash of crap, but I hope we all realize he had very little to nothing to do with what happened.  We (and certainly that includes me) should probably make sure to make that clear in the future.

I am pretty sure most everyone ended up off the track at least once in those races (many times for some, I am wondering if 914 may be the only one not to!) and I think most of that is the result of an accumulation of factors:

- The track (BRAD!): It's a narrow track (you will note most all the Gran Tourismo tracks for example are very wide), with zero run off in most all places, and SUPER slick grass, at the edge of the track!!!

- The cars: I really love how all the car are so different, but it does create potential for issues, especially on a thin track.  Also, the wildly different launches of all the cars can create big issues, especially in the first corner.

- The reverse grid:  To some extent, especially with the launch differences, this can exacerbate issues.  It's another thing I think is great (makes for some very good reviews), but can make incidents more likely.

- A big field: Certainly something we don't want to "fix" but it does create potential for larger incidents.

So.  I will certainly go over the replay and see if I can pick out any learning opportunities, and try to adjust / learn if there are any.  The track next week is also rather narrow with some very tight corners (BRAD!).  We might want to consider maybe a rolling start, and maybe eliminating the reverse grid.  I think Truxton is also a smaller track... we might want to consider swapping that out.  Heck, maybe even next weeks.   To prove a point, maybe swap out to some Gran Tourismo tracks!

I think the importing thing to remember here though is, and I think we can all agree on this, the primary issue here is clearly BRAD! 

DO NOT LET BRAD PICK TRACKS AGAIN!!!!  cheeky

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/23 1:44 p.m.

I just made suggestions, not decisions...

DarkMonohue
8/31/23 2:25 p.m.

Maybe I'm outing myself as an uncultured street rat rather than a real racer, but narrow, bumpy tracks with snotty grass are fine with me. I really liked Goodwood. And I liked Ascari.

There. I said it.

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/31/23 2:31 p.m.
aircooled said:

So.... last night... was... interesting.   Honestly, I will look at the review, but I really don't think there was bad racing or driving involved.  I know we gave Dean a rash of crap, but I hope we all realize he had very little to nothing to do with what happened.  We (and certainly that includes me) should probably make sure to make that clear in the future.

I am pretty sure most everyone ended up off the track at least once in those races (many times for some, I am wondering if 914 may be the only one not to!) and I think most of that is the result of an accumulation of factors:

- The track (BRAD!): It's a narrow track (you will note most all the Gran Tourismo tracks for example are very wide), with zero run off in most all places, and SUPER slick grass, at the edge of the track!!!

- The cars: I really love how all the car are so different, but it does create potential for issues, especially on a thin track.  Also, the wildly different launches of all the cars can create big issues, especially in the first corner.

- The reverse grid:  To some extent, especially with the launch differences, this can exacerbate issues.  It's another thing I think is great (makes for some very good reviews), but can make incidents more likely.

- A big field: Certainly something we don't want to "fix" but it does create potential for larger incidents.

So.  I will certainly go over the replay and see if I can pick out any learning opportunities, and try to adjust / learn if there are any.  The track next week is also rather narrow with some very tight corners (BRAD!).  We might want to consider maybe a rolling start, and maybe eliminating the reverse grid.  I think Truxton is also a smaller track... we might want to consider swapping that out.  Heck, maybe even next weeks.   To prove a point, maybe swap out to some Gran Tourismo tracks!

I think the importing thing to remember here though is, and I think we can all agree on this, the primary issue here is clearly BRAD! 

DO NOT LET BRAD PICK TRACKS AGAIN!!!!  cheeky

You really shifted the blame away from Dean on this one laugh

On my end, the incident between myself and Gameboy or Racebrick (can't remember) in race 2 was a teachable moment.  I had Sauce behind me and just got a little too close in the braking zone.  It was avoidable contact for sure, but I didn't want to be too slow and leave a huge gap for the folks behind.  Being more aware of what was happening farther forward on track may have led to avoiding that incident.  Other than that all the people I raced against kept things clean.

I agree that the differences in the way the cars drive does have something to do with the contact, but it also makes the racing more interesting since there's more than just horsepower to consider.  I'm considering a car change for this week, I'll do a little practicing and make sure I let Dean know in advance if I decide to switch.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/31/23 2:50 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Maybe I'm outing myself as an uncultured street rat rather than a real racer, but narrow, bumpy tracks with snotty grass are fine with me. I really liked Goodwood. And I liked Ascari.

There. I said it.

Burn The Witch GIFs | Tenor

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/23 4:45 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
DarkMonohue said:

There. I said it.

Burn The Witch GIFs | Tenor

moto914
moto914 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/31/23 4:46 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

No reverse grid, per.track sounds ok.

More practice to be up to pace will = fun here in the next race. smiley

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
8/31/23 7:19 p.m.

Apologies for the abrupt departure last night.  Had to get up super early for a road trip, and after ending up stuck in the grass in the second race, I just decided to bail.

I actually like Goodwood, but was having a terrible time last night.  Over a second off my practice times, and the grass just seemed extra evil last night.  Rejoining safely from the grass was not fun.  Pretty frustrating.

The mess in T2 at the start of the second race was my fault.  I don't know if Dean had to check up for a car in front, but I bumped him from behind, and surprisingly that was enough.  We were already accelerating, so I thought I left enough of a gap, but when he slowed I didn't have time to react.

A rolling start is a great idea... we also might consider points going deeper in the field if we're going to have this many cars.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/23 7:24 p.m.
You really shifted the blame away from Dean on this one laugh

You have no idea the level of pissed of I achieved last night.  I was texting Air at 3:00 AM about things I was so agervated at how things went down. 

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
9/1/23 1:02 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/in-game-keyboard-shortcuts-extension.16180/

we should look into the mythical 'return to pit' hotkey.

dean1484
9/1/23 9:40 a.m.

My take on this is I need to get out of the Merc.  It just does not play nice with the other cars due to the different driving dynamic. Not sure what to get in to. The 911 is the easy answer but I think there are 4 in the field already.  Maybe join Brad on team mustang. Possibly go to the 510 as I was fast in that car.  Knowing what I know now I wish I had not got out of the RX3. Kind of weird situation in that the Merc is not a bad car. I am very fast in it but it is much slower in places than the majority of the other cars making the possibility of incidental contact much greater. Then there is the high speed in other places that also can creat issues. Going to miss it but it needs to be retired. 

DarkMonohue
9/1/23 10:06 a.m.

In reply to gencollon :

That's exactly what I need. Thank you for digging that up. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
9/1/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I think that's a good decision.  In real cars, on a real track, those differences are a lot easier to deal with and make for a fun drive.  In AC, it's much harder to avoid incidental contact in close racing because of the nature of a sim, and the dynamic differences between cars like the Merc and the rest of the field increase the odds of cars coming together.

Personally, I don't have any problem letting Dean go back to the RX3... I know that's not the usual rules, but the Merc wasn't the usual car choice, and as a 'failed experiment' returning to status quo shouldn't cause any heartburn.

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
9/1/23 11:10 a.m.

Is it? I don't have the keybind, and I haven't tried too hard to make it work yet. Let us know if you find the way.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/23 12:17 p.m.
gencollon said:

In reply to DarkMonohue :https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/in-game-keyboard-shortcuts-extension.16180/

we should look into the mythical 'return to pit' hotkey.

That would not only help people who've fallen through holes in the track into oblivion, but also anyone who gets their suspension tangled...anyone using a VR headset needs to be sure to disable the VR auto-start though. Installing this for sure!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/1/23 12:35 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to dean1484 :

...Personally, I don't have any problem letting Dean go back to the RX3... I know that's not the usual rules....

Actually:

Rule 23.5.1(b): If a driver wishes to return to a car they have perviously used and can express it is for the good of the series, and the general consensus of the other drivers is "what ev'", they shall be allowed to.

Note: rule 23.5.1(b) does not apply to anyone name Colin or anyone who lives within 50 miles of Mohave CA.

Strangely worded and oddly specific, but it is there!

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
9/1/23 12:50 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

laughyes

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
9/1/23 4:21 p.m.

I have no problems with Dean going back to the Rotary.  I think he was fine driving that and I so let him.

Great racing, too bad I made so many mistakes at Goodwood.  I really like that track, but the grass does have a bad habit of biting me when I am trying to go around and give enough room.

On to the next event.

Mike

DarkMonohue
9/1/23 6:08 p.m.

In reply to gencollon :

Evidently so. I have not yet installed it but it looks promising. 

dean1484
9/2/23 1:30 a.m.

That could be a game changer!!! 

DarkMonohue
9/2/23 10:38 p.m.
gencollon said:

Is it? I don't have the keybind, and I haven't tried too hard to make it work yet. Let us know if you find the way.

I installed and enabled it per the directions:
After unzipping, overwrite the apps folder in the folder where AssettoCorsa is installed, and
check "Option > General > UI Modules > IS_AddShortcutKey" after launching the game launcher.

I have only used the Teleport to Pit option, but so far, it works!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/2/23 11:51 p.m.

I forgot to post Results and Standings.  Is it possible Pro can reach of Colin?  Maybe, but the stacking up of HC creates the potential of other stealing the points, he is 13 points back with 3 races remaining. The 3-4 places are still pretty open.

1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dG1Er3GyhcEOWJQp9uoGf9h8SZnhDgUVRgDjUIAWLlVmbmsRxydyMFucyv6SlIWV