1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 160
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/21 11:01 p.m.

Hiding the drivers ID for when the exit parking lots:-)

dean1484
3/4/21 6:14 a.m.

Good fun last night everyone!!!  

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/4/21 8:38 a.m.

Last night was a good time - sorry I had to bail so early, but I was dead on my feet after a very long day. Hopefully I'll be able to stay for more next week.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/4/21 12:05 p.m.

I updated the first page and content folder.  I have Palmer Motorsports Park up there now, but we can always switch to Bridgehampton as needed.  Looks like an interesting track, basically up a winding mountain road, and back down.  Not as complete as VIR, but still good enough for racing I think.  NOTE:  the version I uploaded is SLIGHTLY different from what is on Race Department (there was a minor error showing in CM), so only use that one.

I also added a selection of cars.  The Anglia does seem quite entertaining.  I put a few, slightly more powerful cars in there also as potential options.  So if someone can do a preliminary test, that would be helpful.

I also put the Helicorsa, Sidekick and FFBClip apps up.  All highly recommended (FFB clip lets you easily see and adjust force feedback, per car).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/4/21 4:08 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Last night was a good time - sorry I had to bail so early, but I was dead on my feet after a very long day. Hopefully I'll be able to stay for more next week.

Glad you could join!

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/4/21 8:26 p.m.

Did a little practice with a few cars on the two tracks for this week. To me, Palmer feels too fast for the truly slow cars, and maybe for the faster ones. The Bridge, however, is fantastic - the bumps, the sand - and perfect for the slightly faster cars. With that in mind, it might be useful to add a couple to that list. The Mini (stock, 1966) and Hillman Imp are both really fun to drive around there.

dean1484
3/4/21 10:52 p.m.

Server is up with Bridgehampton.  Palmer was causing my game to crash when I tried to log on to the server.  I tried all the cars and it is a track issue as swapping to the Bridge solved the issue.  Not sure what is up with that but for now The Bridge is up and running.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/4/21 11:40 p.m.

Where are you finding a stock Mini?  The ones I found are all race modified.

OK, I added the Hillman Imp and the Racing Yugo (!) to the folder.  No idea how they match up with the others. We can either par them down, do slow and fast races, or save one until the week after.

Of note: it looks like the MGB GT has too much power.  It shows 114 hp, which seems way to high for one of those, I think they are supposed to be 95 hp, right?  Maybe a Eurospec?

Edit: OK, I found the stock 63 Mini, added to the folder.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/5/21 6:45 a.m.

I found the MGB GT to feel too powerful, and it has a very marked tendency to bring the back end around when you lift, even in a straight line, at least at Bridgehampton (maybe it's all the bumps). Not an easy car to drive.

If you feel the need, another option for the faster group is the 595SS Step 2, though it's probably still a bit slower than the others.

dean1484
3/5/21 7:00 a.m.

I took the GT for a ride and really liked it. It drives like an old car should. A little turn in starts a drift that scrubs speed and gets you through the corner. It is a very old school handling car. I really like it. You absolutely can not drive it like a modern handling car. Modern cars rotate old cars drift. 

dean1484
3/5/21 7:10 a.m.

These cars drift through corners. And yes we should see if they are in AC. They would be a hoot to try.. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/5/21 7:41 a.m.
dean1484
3/5/21 8:22 a.m.

Ohhh that is cool!!!  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/5/21 8:52 a.m.

Yes, I have tried the Birdcage.... wow... talk about all power and no brakes or tires!  It is a wild ride!

Probably not something we should jump into at this point.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/5/21 9:01 a.m.

ATCC Group B

ATCC Group C

V8 Supercars

BTCC

All seem like good options.

I'm down for some hooning with the older stuff, but the learning curve there is steeep.  The newer, tamer stuff has resulted in much closer racing.  I think in large part due to ABS.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/5/21 9:12 a.m.

I'd suggest adding TCL to that list. Great mix of American and Euro stuff.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/5/21 11:01 a.m.

The Touring Car Legends packs (60's and 70's) are certainly something we need to mess with at some point.  Older cars, but not terribly fast.  I am not sure how balanced they are, some very different types of cars in there. Generally pretty easy to drive, but you might want to be careful with the A110(!).

Probably something we will have to put a bit of time into (i.e. probably not a one week test)

"hey, who invited the American"

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/5/21 1:05 p.m.

Is that one balanced?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/5/21 3:04 p.m.

I am not sure, want to test them to find out?

https://thracing.de/touring-car-legends/

They also have a very nice, recently released, Legends GT pack, which are likely a handful, but some very cool cars:

https://thracing.de/ac-legends-gt-classics-by-bazza/

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/6/21 1:18 p.m.

OK, I retract my previous comments about the MGB GT. I was using a different version on my machine, but when I got the one that's on the server it was much easier to manage. And much slower. The race Sprite probably has 10 seconds per lap on it. Oh, and the MGB GT has ABS and TC, and they're set ON by default - probably want to turn those off. It's also on Eco tires by default, but it offers faster Street tires as well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/6/21 3:23 p.m.

If we want to, we can edit the cars, we just need to make sure everyone has the exact same version.  It sounds like the MGB GT could use a power cut and removal of some assists.

I could also create a sub-tune / mod for it that adjusts those.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/6/21 4:02 p.m.

I don't think it needs a power cut. Simply getting rid of the assists and the Eco tires would be enough. Right now (with the assists off), I find it's very competitive with the Mini. The race Sprite, as noted, is considerably faster, and the Imp is faster still. If the latter two simply had their power output cut enough to bring them inline with the other two, we'd have a very good, balanced field, but with FWD, front-engined RWD, and rear-engined RWD to choose from.

Edit: For reference, at the Bridge the race Sprite is ~9sec/lap faster than the Mini and MGB GT. The Imp is ~9sec/lap faster than the race Sprite. Obviously, those are my results and hardly definitive.

Second edit: Can't the cars be adjusted with ballast, rather than mucking with the actual power numbers?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/6/21 6:58 p.m.

Yes, we can have Dean apply handicaps to them on the server.  We just have to figure out what that number would be. You can add weight or cut power in CM for individual races / practices, so maybe we can get a good baseline there if someone wants to mess with it.

I would guess cutting power might be best way if they are just more powerful and weight might be best if you suspect handling is making the difference.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/6/21 7:23 p.m.

To me, the Imp definitely has a handling advantage, and it feels like a power advantage as well (though it lists power as only 105hp, but it feels a lot more than that). Harder for me to say with the race Sprite. Hopefully others will have a chance to weigh in - I don't know that I'm sufficiently experienced with the game to evaluate them fully.

dean1484
3/7/21 10:25 a.m.

Server reset this morning. Due to windows update. 

The Aston race car is by far the most fun car. The MG is ok as well. All the rest are just to slow or the gearing is wrong or both for me on this track.  If I could tune the MG to Handel like the Aston it would be a really fun car. 

This has me thinking I need to go see about a Dino and how that would be. 

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fRnehU83pjB8na9O7GbM89a8bT8pKqvEbVsHokWjlTONmLOng4PTlF1ARhmBdnWQ