1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 160
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/21 7:54 a.m.

How about this week we do the short race format (a bunch of 4 lap races) and test and tune the cars with tire ware. While the longer races are a challenge I like the short format. If you have on off early you are not stuck driving the whole race by your self.  Or as what happened this week I started in the back and was able to chase down the leader by lap 3 or 4 and then Prodarwin pitted at the end of lap 6 that was the last time I saw anyone.   

I much prefer mixing it up with others no matter what place it is for. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/2/21 8:39 a.m.

Yeah, I think the short race/testing sessions are good; I'd like it if we alternated between those and longer races on the same tracks with the same car sets. As noted, some of us need more time to get acclimated to new cars and tracks - the testing sessions are good for that.

dean1484
4/2/21 11:37 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I agree!!!  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/21 1:07 p.m.

Sounds good to me.  I can't resist jumping around with all the cool cars, but it does make it very hard to master any.

We just need to figure out the tracks/cars. We can go with the English type cars and some English tracks (as shown above).  Or we can go full field and try and figure a mix of large and small tracks that will equalize them.

As should be obvious by now, the available tracks are almost unlimited.  Of note, some may not be of the quality we have been seeing.  So, if anyone has some tracks they would like to have in the running let us know.

We could even put the closest track to everyone (e.g. Mine would be Willow Springs, all three tracks appear to be available)

dean1484
4/2/21 2:32 p.m.

See if Lime Rock Park is out there.  That would be fun!!! The old configuartion would be better.  The new one with the chicane at the top of the hill would still be fun but it takes alot of the risk out of the downhill as you are going much slower.

I have looked for the road course at NHIS (New hampshire international speedway) or what ever it is called now.  It does not seem to exist.

Palmer worked on my local machine but did not work when I put it up on the server for some reason.   

I also raced a lot at.

Watkins Glen (we already have it)

Summit point - The big track not Shenandoah

Nelson Ledges - This is a fun fast track!!!  

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/2/21 4:15 p.m.

I really want to find Lime Rock, as it's my home track. There's a 1960s version of Watkins Glen that would be period-correct for the current car set. Looking at the 1968 Trans-Am schedule I posted, would could easily do an abbreviated version with Sebring, Lime Rock (if we can find it), Mid-Ohio, Bridgehampton, Mont-Tremblant, Watkins Glen, and Riverside, and maybe others if they're available.

After doing a US series we could look to the UK or Continental Europe for the next round. We could even use the same or similar car set, as there was definitely some crossover.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/21 7:05 p.m.

Lime rock seems to be the one track that is not available in AC.  It appears it used to have been at some point, by a group called the AC Track Reboot Project, but that group is gone and the site that held the track also.

So, the track is out there somewhere, we just need to find someone who might have an old copy. Anyone know someone who has been playing AC for a while?

It can be seen here:  https://youtu.be/wyza0cqksmg

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/21 7:17 p.m.

Never mind, I found it.  It's in the Current Assets folder now.  If someone who is familiar with the track want to give it a try.  This may not be as well done as some of the other tracks we have used.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/2/21 7:19 p.m.

Looks pretty accurate, but it is the new version (beggars can't be choosers, I know) with the chicane at the end of No Name, not the better, older layout. Still, if we can find a copy it could work. Strange that it was pulled.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/21 7:25 p.m.

Actually, it looks pretty nice.  The grass is a bit wired in the photos, but looks better while driving.  This is a somewhat narrow track:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/21 7:51 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Looks pretty accurate, but it is the new version (beggars can't be choosers, I know) with the chicane at the end of No Name, not the better, older layout. Still, if we can find a copy it could work. Strange that it was pulled.

The one I uploaded should have four versions, with and without the chicane and wet versions of each.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/2/21 8:15 p.m.

I keep getting a "URI formats not supported" error when I try to install through the CM. Any ideas?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/21 10:42 p.m.

Weird.  I read something about the shader patch regarding it, maybe try it with and without, and of course restart the CM.

I did notice that shutter speed seems to be inactive in the pic app at the track!?  I have no idea what that means, but I think the track may not be optimized for some of the later updates / mods.  Since the pic app seems to be attached to the SP, that might point to SP issues.  It does work fine for me other than weird grass in the pics.  Maybe play with your SP grass settings? I am pretty sure mine is set to default settings.

There is some sort of track editor app out there.  I need to see if I can find it.  Maybe just opening up the track and re-saving it might help.  I would also love to tame the bump after the tunnel in Deep Forrest (we haven't run there yet) a bit, it seems way to harsh.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/3/21 7:10 a.m.

Installing without the shader patch worked.

Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but it doesn't look too bad for width; it is still the modern track, not an earlier version. I don't recall when/if LRP was widened. If you want to see narrow, try the 1960s Watkins Glen track - it's like a sidewalk. It did occur to me that the narrowness of some of the 1960s tracks might be a partial equalizer for some of the big high horsepower cars. There is not a lot of room for something like the Fairlane or the Merc on a narrow track with traffic.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/3/21 8:07 a.m.

Starting to collect research material on mid- to late-60s touring car racing. Not that we have to use any of it, but it's always interesting to me to see how things happened. I'll update links in this post as I find them.

http://touringcarracing.net/index_normal.html

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/3/21 11:36 a.m.

Very cool.  One of the years does show Mini's competing against Ford Galaxies in the same class.  Crazy.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/3/21 12:03 p.m.

What I'm finding as I dig deeper into that page is that the year-to-year mixes were much more limited than the full TCL pack, which of course covers almost two decades worth of racing. It's also missing some cars that would have been part of the mix. I know some of the missing ones are available, like the Abarth 1000. It would very interesting (to me, at least) to try to build up a historically accurate car set for one or more of the years, then run a series of races with them. I'm going to start digging, regardless of whether we decide to use it or not.

dean1484
4/4/21 10:48 a.m.

I have been working on trying out cars that I have owned. So far I have a ok FC and a FB and a 951.  The FC is slower around Sebring than the Tpuring cars. Lol. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/4/21 11:18 a.m.

FYI I think the server was down a bit for the last few days.

I was going to do some practice laps but I found a new Megawad for Doom thats pretty good

dean1484
4/4/21 11:23 a.m.

Hummm I will look 

dean1484
4/4/21 11:23 a.m.

Seems to be ok

dean1484
4/4/21 1:20 p.m.

For S&Gs I re started it. 

dean1484
4/6/21 9:23 p.m.

Getting a couple laps in tonight to get ready for tomorrow if anyone is around.

dean1484
4/6/21 10:05 p.m.

Tonights Testing

dean1484
4/7/21 2:31 p.m.

Everyone ready for tonight?  Should be fun.  The imp was the supersize car of my testing last night.  All cars were tested completely stock so I am sure that there is some that can be made much better.  

Tonight we will be messing around with fuel and tire ware.  See if it impacts things and if so how much.  I think the Imp may have fuel issues with its really small tank.

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fZ1UyBFvNxz6Kumztpgo0NcNbdxpOllTqFvgzUPGH0wbxsuWJuur97hR53ctRJra