Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/19/24 5:32 p.m.

OK... it's been a while since I played any GT game. Like, a long while - more than 10 years; maybe 15.

Driven by that Clio Cup racecar posted for sale recently, I'm very very nostalgic for the career-mode gameplay of GT3.  I am really thinking about restarting it, but I'm not sure I feel like hassling with memory cards again. Will restarting GT4 scratch that itch?

Even with all the extra cars and great tracks, I never finished GT4; probably never made it past 50%. For GT3, I finished 100% with all golds in everything.

I do know that I hated the handling of GT5, and GT6 was disappointing because I'm really not interested in online play. Never even bought GT7 / PS5. Again, I harken back to GT3's career mode as the pinnacle of gameplay fun in the series for me. I have a PS2, PS3, and PS4 available.

So here's the question: GT3 or GT4 for a restart?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/19/24 8:07 p.m.

I was recently messing around with GT3 and GT4 on a PS emulator on my PC.  The game play of GT4 is likely one of the best of any driving games!  I booted up GT3, and I did not even recognize it and was not really sure even were to start (I did play it in the past, I just don't remember it).

GT4 has the used car lots.  That alone makes it a go for me.  There may be more to finish in GT4?  Maybe that is why you didn't finish it?

I am playing it with a controller, which of course is a bit challenging (you generally just have to use over matched cars).  Apparently the emulators can be setup to use a wheel, but my wheel setup is not super convenient.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/19/24 8:15 p.m.

I picked up a 2nd hand wheel, ps3, and GT5/6. Been bumping around on 6 and fairly entertained by it having not played anything since GT3. It does have me looking at something more modern as I am more interested in tracks that are local and such rather than something 1/2 way around the world. Apparently there was once a mod to make tracks but didn't include elevation changes or anything. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/24 8:48 a.m.

I have a wheel that is PS3 compatible, but not PS4.  But I'd be playing with a controller because I don't really feel like pulling the whole rig out to play for an hour.

Pros for GT4:

• Lots of cars, including used cars
  • Lots of tracks, including the 'Ring and Sears Point
  • Decent handling physics on pavement, although traction is scarce in general
  • Big game, lots of events

Cons for GT4:

• SO MANY boring races at Tsukuba
  • I hate Suzuka
  • Rally / dirt handling physics are terrible
  • Suspension adjustment doesn't really have much effect - this was really good in GT3
  • Some Missions are impossible - and I had all gold licenses in GT3
  • They screwed up a bunch of the enduros, which were the best part of GT3
  • Strongly increased rubberband effect
  • The Rabbit Effect - 14 fairly even cars and 1 super fast
  • Penalty system badly implemented

Maybe I'm talking myself out of it.  If I could have GT3's gsmeplay with GT4's car and track selection, it would be ideal.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/24 8:50 a.m.

I also have Project CARS (or maybe PCII?) for the PS4, but it is completely unplayable with a controller.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/24 9:05 a.m.

I would probibly lean towards PC2. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/20/24 10:16 a.m.

I, myself, have been debating about splurging for GT7 and a PS5. Is it worth it? Admittedly, I haven't played GT since GT3.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/20/24 10:19 a.m.

GT7 on PS4 has been great for me. Reminds me of the older GT4 I had on PS3 but way better graphics, handling and tracks. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/24 3:02 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Was not aware GT7 was available for PS4 - I thought it was PS5 only.

Is there a single-player career mode?  Because I have no interest in anything that is mostly multiuser online play.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/24 9:17 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Can that be played effectively with a controller?  Because the original is not drivable with sticks. At least not by me.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/10/24 6:24 p.m.

I've been playing my old GT4 original save for the past year.  I had to repair my PS2 during that time, but it's working like a champ now.

I think I'm somewhere around year 45, about 28k miles A-spec, 87k B-spec, and have about 37pts to go to max out my B-spec driver.  My A-spec points, which are totally useless, is just over 76k.  I have all golds, and own every single car in the game except one... the prize car for Mission 34, the Nissan R89c.

Polyphony really did a number on NTSC users for that mission. PAL users have a shorter wait time, which makes it easier to catch all the cars before the end.  I had one race where I finished less than a tenth behind the 300SL.  I think I twisted my controller in half on that one.

dean1484
7/14/24 9:33 a.m.
Duke said:
dean1484 said:

Can that be played effectively with a controller?  Because the original is not drivable with sticks. At least not by me.

Aircooled did some. He can probably speak for its controller playability.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/14/24 10:19 a.m.

Yeah, not easily.  I was able to reasonably control the less tricky cars, but I was still noticeably slower.  I am not sure, in general, if it would be enjoyable with a controller.  It's clearly meant to be played with a wheel.

In GT, you can "cheat" a bit by using higher power point cars by modifying them, but that cannot be done in PC.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/14/24 11:44 a.m.
Duke said:
dean1484 said:

I was quite highly rated on PC2 online on the XBox using the controller.  You have to find the sensitivity settings that work best for you.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/24 8:56 p.m.

I recently made the plunge and got a PS5 and of course GT7. I still have my fatty PS3 so I can play all the Gran Turismos and it's been YEARS since I last had got a Playstation and last GT I played was GT6. All I can say is I am thoroughly enjoying 7, it's so good and has me reliving the fun I had on the old ones, especially 5 and 6 and with the online leagues we had. Wish we still did them crying Getting setup in my rig to race on PC is always a hassle compared to just firing up the PS5 haha

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
9/7/24 7:48 a.m.

I haven't done any sim driving since the GT6 league on here. Really wish I had the bandwidth to get back into it. 

I should try to dust off the PS3 and rip some laps soon. 

dean1484
9/9/24 8:49 a.m.

In reply to NickF40 :

We are still doing it.  Some of the same group as well.   We went over to Assetto Corsa due to the game manufacturers shutting down the servers forcing us to upgrade the game and or upgrade the PlayStation model.   Usting consol based games for the on line gaming on GRM was definitly much more plug an play but once you have things up and working on pc it is about the same. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/10/24 5:05 p.m.

In reply to NickF40 :

I can almost remember what car you drove in the Small Bore Cup!   I can relate about the wheel issue, I have to set mine up every time, kind of a pain.  You can run AC with a controller, but it can be a bit of a challenge.  I doubt you could be a top contender on a controller, but with practice (depending on the car of course) you could likely stay with the pack.

Many times, the racing turns into a chat session about cars and racing anyway, so it's not all about the large prize packages being offered (wink)

Where you the Izuzu Bullet (one the only shots I still have from the GT series)?

Btw, this series likely had a lot to do with Dean currently owning an example:

A few others I still have:

And of course, the series with my famous jump at Willow Springs.  I used to have a shot of it, but I don't know where it is anymore.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/24 6:44 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Ohhhhh holy berkeleying memories....and yup! I raced (drifted) that damn Izuzu. That was still my favorite I think and the most fun I ever had.

I didn't know about the whole server thing and all that, that really sucks. I recently made the plunge and got a PS5 since you can actually get them now and prices are down back to earth. They never can make it simple, like the GT5/6 days. As for the PC it's a process even more with VR and just a slight hassle but I guess i'll have to try and get my ass in gear and figure the downloading and all the AC stuff with you guys. I downloaded mods and crap before so hopefully it would be the same. I'm just having a hard time pulling away from GT7 at the moment haha

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Vw05UkiC9PMirnefMYJMuQCxN6uHM0QJH93IqUNuBR0sRkLTuv1zEWe6iTsGIyk