flountown
flountown New Reader
7/9/10 3:45 p.m.

So I found a 2003 XB9S Lightning on CL with really low miles. Ever since I saw a special on Buell I have always been intrigued by the innovation he originally brought to the design of his motorcycles, fuel tank frame rails, oil tank swing arms, etc.

I think they look really cool, and the V-Twin seems like a good reconciliation for me wanting a sportier bike and not Harley...(Dad has 3 at the moment).

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
7/9/10 3:53 p.m.

I have never ridden one. The writers at Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology always have said great things about the chasis. They are not as complimentary about the engine, but they are racing oriented. I want one of the XB9 series myself.

alex
alex Dork
7/9/10 4:53 p.m.

The fuel-in-frame models are pretty awesome. The Harley mill is a bit of lump, but it has plenty of useable torque, and it's more than quick enough for the street. For the right price, I'd snap one up.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/10 5:02 p.m.

With the deals you can get on them these days, it's hard to turn one down. Lots of innovation, Erik is a pretty good guy as well.

Now that he's in bed with Rotax, though...let's just say I am 'looking forward' to newer models.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/9/10 5:19 p.m.
flountown wrote: I think they look really cool, and the V-Twin seems like a good reconciliation for me wanting a sportier bike and not Harley...(Dad has 3 at the moment).

The SV family is, of course, the answer.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/10 5:27 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: The SV family is, of course, the answer.

It sure is, and I happen to have one for sale right now.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/10/10 8:14 a.m.

The few people I've know who have owned them complained about reliability, mostly the electrics. Aside from that, they liked them.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/10 3:05 p.m.

I have nothing substantive to add, other than a guy pulled into the parking lot next to me last night at the restaurant we were visiting. I didn't get a chance to talk with him (saying goodbye to relatives at the time) but I'm almost positive the bike was turbocharged. It sounded positively evil when he pulled in and goosed it a few times.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/11/10 7:47 a.m.

I own a Buell Lightning XB12Scg and I love it. Is it going to win any spec sheet races? No. There are other bikes that are lighter and make more horsepower. If you can get beyond that, it's a great bike. Handling is awesome, although it is sensitive (but responsive) to suspension adjustments...if you don't bother to set it up for your weight, you might not be happy. The engine is derived from a Sportster, but it is definitely not like any Sportster I've ever ridden (owned an 883 and a 1200 before).; it revs faster and higher. Torque down low is great, but it has plenty of power for fun at highway speeds. Vibrations at idle are pretty strong, but as soon as you get off idle, the mounting systems really works to smooth things up...my ZZR1200 had a lot more uncomfortable vibrations. I like the unique features it has and the fact that it's air cooled. I'm hanging on to mine because I think it's a fun bike and will likely end up a classic in the future...sort of like the next Vincent Black Shadow.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/10 8:11 a.m.

I've owned 3 Buell's. All tubers. I can't comment on the XB series.

I can say that Tubers required some mechanical empathy. You couldn't beat them to death and expect years of service like a comparable jap bike. Think 1960's muscle car vs a Miata in regards to reliability.

mtownneon
mtownneon None
7/12/10 2:28 p.m.

I owned a 2003 XB9S for years, put 30,000 miles on it without so much as a hick-up. The knock on Buell reliability can be attributed to the older tube frame bikes being more maintainance intensive. You have to look at the tubers as hand built custom bikes -vs- the XB's which were designed from the ground up.

Example: Tubers used modified Sportster engines / transmission assemblies where as the XB's used a dedicated engine / transmission based on the Sportster engine built by Harley Powertrain.

Not knocking tubers at all, would love to have an M-2 Cyclone or X-1 Lightning but they have to be nut and bolted ragularly and they do need more maintainance. The XB's were Buell's first fully engineered clean sheet design with only a few restrictions to appease their overlords in Milwaulkee. As a street bike, I have to say my XB9 had to be the best bike I've ever owned. The bike was almost maintainance free. Change the fluids every few thousand miles and the plugs every so often. The only thing I had a "problem: with was the plug wires would get cooked pretty quickly so I would change them with the plugs but were very inexpensive.

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
7/13/10 7:09 a.m.

I recently purchased one of the 1125Rs (from the fire sale, I couldn't really pass it up for the price). Finally the Rotax gives Buell a real powerplant, and then they cancel the program...

I haven't had it long enough to provide a long term status report. However I should have paid these more respect in the past.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/13/10 7:57 a.m.

I don't recall the models, but every year at the Americade http://tourexpo.com/data/index.php you are allowed to demo bikes. My son and I tested Buells. I was on a Lightning, he was on something cafe', don't recall the model. You are led through the twisties around Lake George and then back down via highway. When we got back there was no line, everyone was waiting for Harley rides. "You guys want to go again?" You bet. This time I had the cafe' and my son had the Lightning.

Didn't care for the cafe much. Noisey, and the fairing amplified the valve clatter and everything about the engine. It was pretty noisey behind the windscreen.

I really like the Lighning! Light, quick, not uncomfortable, wheelies are addicting. I can't speak for the quality or longevity of either, but if I had $10k that day, I'd own one.

It's too bad that Eric Buell had to fight so hard to use Harley engines, finally they came around and now he's done. I liked the bikes.

Dan

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/13/10 8:48 a.m.

I rode a XB12something from the local Harley shop. Incredible torque, but shook too much at stop to even see the mirrors.

word of advise? don't short shift between 4-5 under full throttle The sky looks real pretty at that point

alex
alex Dork
7/13/10 1:00 p.m.

Yeah, they shake like paint mixers at idle, but the isolation engine mounts just about eliminate the vibrations at any revs above idle. Pretty impressive, actually. And even still, the vibes at idle won't put your hands to sleep or anything. Part of the character, I'd say.

Dammit, now I want a Buell again.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
7/14/10 1:02 p.m.

I owned a Thunderbolt for a season. Fun bike. It was the touring version, so the footpegs were a little lower and the bars a little more upright than the standard and it had hard bags. I had two windshields for it, the one seen here, and a taller one for the highway. Low windshield and no bags, looks like a sport bike. Bags and tall windshield, sport tourer. With the Vance & Hines pipe it sounded fantastic. Gobs of torque but it did fall flat at the high end of the tach. I'm 6'4" so the touring position made it pretty comfy for me with the Corbin seat I had on it. Bought it on Cycletrader.com, sold on eBay. Made about $1k and enjoyed a great bike for a year.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/30/10 12:01 a.m.

I have a Blast sitting in storage that I'm more than likely going to be selling here shortly. Was a bike for an ex and is just to small for me and I don't ride anymore. They are dang fun little bikes very easy to cafe and there is just something about the 500cc thumper that is just cool.

The Blast is also the model that dominated at the motorcycle version of autocross. If I lost a crap ton of weight I might consider keeping it but for now finishing the Olds is higher in priority than getting back on 2 wheels.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
7/30/10 1:28 p.m.

Stupid Buell Question:

The engines don't use the Shared Crank Throw, Dual Rod, Uneven Fire, design do they?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/10 2:08 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Stupid Buell Question: The engines don't use the Shared Crank Throw, Dual Rod, Uneven Fire, design do they?

If that's a polite way of asking if they use a Harley mill, they do - it's a breathed on Sportster engine.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
7/30/10 10:45 p.m.

Rebel, what year blast is it? All the blast takes is a little jetting and an exhaust to turn nasty. Mine is of the super ratty variety though. If you aren't hitting the rev limiter you aren't driving it hard enough. Mine sounds semi-auto when I hit the rev limiter on the open exhaust. Just got it back on the road today after busting a drive belt last weak.

I'd love to get my greasy paws on a 1125 but I'd probably end up dead. I will own an 1125 some day though.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/30/10 11:36 p.m.

In reply to benzbaron:

Its a Black 2001. Had a Honda at the time of purchase and never rode the Buell really, was for the girl friend of the time and for me to screw around with but I never did. I ended up laying the Honda down and buggered up my bad knee even worse and basically ended my bike riding life. I held onto the Buell basically thinking someday I might build it into a cafe bike and all that but I just havn't done it.

I also have a truck load of Harley/Aermacchi parts from a 60's race bike taking up room in storage as well. That one is a 350 cc single cylinder all aluminum engine that can be built to red line around 10k RPM.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
7/31/10 1:31 p.m.

Good luck with the bikes Rebel. I couldn't imagine what a 10k rpm single would sound like. I think the fastest RPM on the buell is around 7800, but I don't know for sure because it doesn't have a tach. You can put a tack on the blast but the bike will kill it with vibrations.

One last observation about buells is they have very unique styling. They use crazy colors and the bikes really stand out. Like a purple bike with yellow rims on it type of standing out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NKZtnLU19lk71SXQwL7DTcpAtWOLIr0MSWJutE3hpj4926daMwedRCRKTVhHHAkb