brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/17/24 10:49 a.m.

It's a SUPER long shot, but I'm headed to that part of the world next week. I have a couple days unplanned in Estonia (24th and 25th, I believe) and will be in Finland on the back part of my trip in early February, largely in and around Rovaniemi.

Is there anyone near there, or anyone who has been who might have things they'd recommend? 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
1/17/24 10:54 a.m.
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/17/24 10:59 a.m.

Way cool. No luck on knowing anyone in that neck of the woods, but if I'm ever traveling anywhere I like to check out Atlas Obscura.

Looks like there are 92 things listed for Estonia and 83 things listed for Finland.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/24 11:01 a.m.

Just came back from both places last week. Any info in particular that you are looking for? 

It was COLD!

Are you flying into Hel or Tallinn?

brandonsmash
1/17/24 6:38 p.m.

Hey!

I'm looking forward to the cold a little. I live in Phoenix and have plenty of hot weather; a nice dip in the Baltic should be refreshing!

I'm flying into Tallinn on the front end and out of Helsinki at the tail end of the trip. Mostly I have a couple days to fill when I'll be in or around Tallinn and I don't have anything booked: I'm open to suggestions. What's good?

It's neat to have great friends. I booked this trip because airfare was cheap and, well, I hadn't been there. After I booked the trip I pinged the group chat for some friends I made on one of my other trips and asked if anyone wanted to join me; now I have 4 people coming in for a while. We do have a sauna booked on the Baltic Sea and a day spent dogsledding. 

Beyond that, though, while I'm solo, not so much. My best chance of seeing the aurora is in Rovaniemi, so that's where I'm spending the last couple days of the trip. 

What should I know? 

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
1/18/24 6:07 a.m.

It's cold and snowy right now. I'm next door in Riga. Beers, bars, and nightlife are great in Talinn. Excellent foodie scene, or at least I'm told that it's better than here in Riga. Sunset is 4 PM, sunrise ~9 AM. Lots of dark, not much sun, but it's getting better everyday. 

brandonsmash
1/18/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to JFW75 :

I'm strongly considering taking a bus down to Riga for a day or two. Anything there you'd recommend? 

I tried to book tickets last night but for some reason I kept getting a "tickets not booked" error.

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
1/18/24 11:50 a.m.
brandonsmash said:

In reply to JFW75 :

I'm strongly considering taking a bus down to Riga for a day or two. Anything there you'd recommend? 

I tried to book tickets last night but for some reason I kept getting a "tickets not booked" error.

If you do, spend the extra 8 Euros on the LuxExpress bus, it's WAY nicer than the other one. Can't help you with the tickets, but they have multiple busses a day and it should be simple to buy tickets. 

Riga's easy to see via public transit. Old town has a lot going on, and it's a bit of a tourist trap. Agenskaln Market is local and great, as is the quiet Centrs area. Check out "Not Boring -> Riga" on telegram (https://t.me/notboring_riga) 

Lots of museums. Plenty to see for 2-3 days as a tourist. Take the free walking tour downtown and you'll be entertained and walk right by my front door. Sadly I'm leaving tomorrow for the US for the 2 weeks or I'd show you around a bit. A day trip to Jurmala, or Jelgava if you want will cost you 5 Euro RT. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/24 11:58 a.m.

I have Finnish backround, but haven't been there since 1980. My recollection is that a lot of Helsinki harbor is probably in deep ice. There's some neat islands out there which you should be able to walk or ski to.  Inevitably you will be asked to join in a Sauna, and be aware that to most Finns, a Sauna should be set one step south of Hades.

brandonsmash
1/18/24 12:09 p.m.

In reply to JFW75 :

I was trying to book the "relax seats" on LuxExpress but kept getting "ticket not booked." Is that something I could buy in person if needed? I'd like to at least arrange accommodation, though, as I've a couple nights where I don't have a room booked in any city or country. 

Whereabouts are you headed in the US? Funny that we'll be crossing paths, but bummer that we'll miss each other in Latvia! 

brandonsmash
1/18/24 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

"Sauna should be one step south of Hades"

So like Phoenix in the summer, about 48C? 

Slippery
1/18/24 12:25 p.m.

In Tallinn, go to an R-Kiosk and buy a public transport card (2 euros and refundable once you return the card). Then download the app Pilet.ee and kload the card info into it and buy yourself a day pass, or however many days you will be staying there. This will work for any tramm, bus, etc within the city. The app is great also to plan a trip, it will tell you where to take the bus/tramm and at what time and how to connect.

I would just stroll through the old town, go to St. Catherine's passage. I believe this is one of the oldest mediaval streets, there are some headstones on the wall there. Here you can also access one of the city wall towers (5 euro I think) and walk on the wall, sketchy as its very icy but cool.

If you have time and are bored, go to Hotell Viru and do the KGB tour. You have to prebook the tour, which runs for about an hour and takes you to the 23rd floor where the KGB had their ops there. I thought it was cool. Do not show up without a reservation.

https://viru.ee/en/KgbBooking

To eat, this place was awesome and the prices were great:

Restaurant Rataskaevu 16
Its in the old town. I walked in (5 people) and was able to eat no probs as I could not figure out how to make a reservation online. If its more than two people I would call and try and make a reservation.

RØST Bakery
Great coffee, or so I hear from my wife as I dont drink it ... the pastries were really good.

To get to Helsinki, I would reccomend the Tallink ferry. It was like 29 euro, fast and clean in a new ferry. Plenty to eat inside, dont prepay.
Once you get to Helsinki, the tramm passes right by the terminal and will take you to the train station to go to the airport, its quite easy. Let me know if you need info on this.

I basically walked all day throughout the city. It was quite cold at about -5F, but such a cool city. Great food, cheap and easy to navigate.

I spent about 10-12 days between Tallinn and Helsinki and found that snow and ice is not that big of a problem. I drove in Helsinki, and studded tires made all the difference. The cities are well maintained and ready for the snow and ice.

I went to Suomenlinna island in Helsinki, froze my ass lol. Was not worth it for me. Everybody told me to go there, I'd skip it unless you dont know what to do.

If you want more info on Helsinki restaurants, let me know. Helsinki is more expensive and its a very small town, you can probably see the whole thing in two days. I enjoyed both cities, though.

brandonsmash
1/19/24 9:03 a.m.

Thanks! It does look like I get to go to Riga for a couple days on the front end, too. I dig the restaurant suggestion in Tallinn: I'll be there with a few friends, and that's one I'll look up. 

Slippery
1/19/24 9:46 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

I mentioned that restaurant because it blew my mind how good the food was and how cheap, $150. I had spent more than twice the amount on a couple of well rated restaurants in Helsinki and this one was better. 

Also went to Argentinaa, Peet Ruut, Fotografiska, but that one was the best. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/19/24 9:49 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

I was going to recommend going to Parnu, ES but I don't know if I would bother in the winter.  

Enjoy reindeer on pizza in Finland.  

I've been to Finland once in the winter for a couple of weeks and it's kind of slow.  Going to a cabin up north basically at the artic circle was cool but more of an experience and less a bunch of things to do.  And sauna's are better at 65 C than 45 C.  45 C is just "annoying hot".

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
1/20/24 4:19 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

In reply to JFW75 :

I was trying to book the "relax seats" on LuxExpress but kept getting "ticket not booked." Is that something I could buy in person if needed? I'd like to at least arrange accommodation, though, as I've a couple nights where I don't have a room booked in any city or country. 

Whereabouts are you headed in the US? Funny that we'll be crossing paths, but bummer that we'll miss each other in Latvia! 

Buy them in person. Won't be an issue. English will get you help pretty much anywhere, anyone under 40 speaks it fluently.

Apps for Riga:
Bolt is their version of Uber
Riga Satiksme is their public transit
Timey will let you a see where busses, trams, etc are in real time

Places to eat:
Lido is the all time locals favorite, but I haven't been. Baltic food and big helpings. Lots of locations in town.
Ala Pagrabs is a great basement bar with live music on the weekend. Tables will say reserved, but just have a seat and grab some garlic bread (https://latvianeats.com/garlic-bread-kiploku-grauzdini/) and a beer. 
Old town has tons and bars and food. Anyplace named "krogs" is a bar. You can't miss them.
Agenskaln Market is a great place to hit up for lunch and browsing. Weekends it has a flea market. Small quaint, and nicely redone.
The Central Tirgus (market) is in and around WW1 German Zeppelin Hangars. Meat, veg, fish, et al abound. Good place to grab lunch in the second one on the right hand side. Locals only lunch counter type places in the meat one on the left hand side. Worth a wander through even though the outdoor vendors have mainly packed it in for the winter. 
Art Nouveau area is great, but the buildings sprawl all over town. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau_architecture_in_Riga 
Nice areas to eat in are around that area including The Catch for Japanese/sushi, and lots of others. 
Like the hangars, the Art Nouveau buildings escaped the wars unscathed and mostly un molested by the Soviets.
Riga is flat and easily walkable, just find someplace to stay in Old Town or Centrs.

We are in Virginia for the week. Out at the parents place between Staunton and Lexington, VA

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LMolGJXiq281IT6ScYg8OcsnY0gjqXbMJUhiUowiXJyG0QTWbZv5NO2TpddkcqzX