1 ... 10 11 12
GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
8/27/24 8:13 p.m.

Thanks for taking us along on the adventure. Those kids will get so much out of just knowing how to travel the world, more than any favorites list from this trip.  Good job!

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/24 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Man, I lost all my gulf sodas in one of our moves.  I can say that in 2003, those pull tabs were still very much a thing laugh

8/28/24 8:55 a.m.
imgon said:

I have loved following along, your descriptions of the trip have been great. I am not sure I would have the courage to tackle an excursion like that, Bravo. I like exploring... but in areas I feel like I sort of know what to expect and can speak the local language. Kind of limits me to our country. I think it is so cool your kids got to experience this trip, it will be something the whole family will talk about for ages. Kuddos to you and Mrs Huntswoman for being adventurous! Where are you off to next?

Thanks, man!  Honestly I think one could adventure their whole lives in the nature available to us North Americans, and they wouldn't ever need worry about running out of new places.

Next up for us is the "Camino de Santiago" in Spain.  We're planning to walk around 100km (60mi) for an "introduction" with the kids next April.  Mrs. Huntswoman is in charge of the planning on that one (we alternate taking lead), but it's been on our list for a very long time.  

8/28/24 9:01 a.m.
GhiaMonster said:

Thanks for taking us along on the adventure. Those kids will get so much out of just knowing how to travel the world, more than any favorites list from this trip.  Good job!

Thank you.  As a parent I find myself worried about what the future will hold for our kids and where they'll end up.  I'm hoping trips like this will help them make good/informed decisions in life for themselves (education, family, career, or otherwise) and give them the experience/skill-sets they need to succeed in whatever they decide to do.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/24 10:28 a.m.

Awesome reading!  I kind of feel like I was there to experience it.  Thanks!

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/24 3:24 p.m.

Another huge thanks for bringing us along! As a standard non-so-well-travelled American, 'Star Wars Vacation to Tunisia' would not have even been on my bingo card.

I'll also +1 caves in Slovenia - I was at Postoijna and Skocjan in the 80s. I dont remember much about Skocjan, but Postoijna was incredible.

So this Camino de Santiago... my son is a huge hiker (currently btw Mt. Ranier and Banff) and is trying to set up a Greece/Slovenia/Italy/Spain trip to see history, meet family, etc. I'll have him check it out and add to their list.

Edit, found this site: https://caminoways.com/camino-de-santiago

Here I thought it was going to involve boats or flying dino-things...

8/29/24 2:31 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

Awesome reading!  I kind of feel like I was there to experience it.  Thanks!

That makes me VERY happy, man.  Thank you!!!

8/29/24 2:39 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

Oh man, the mere mention of Mount Rainier makes me seriously homesick.  I had only JUST got Mrs. Hungary and the boys into camping up that way when we moved out of the states again.

Slovenia is beautiful, isn't it?  If your son needs local advice, my friend "Zsolt" is married to a Slovenian woman in Ljubljana.  They do a fair bit of "outdoorsing" out that way and can make some recommendations.  For the Camino, there are a good handful of different trails that your son can pick from.  But if he's a hiker I'm thinking that the "Primitivo" might be more to his liking.  And (not yet having hiked the way yet), I do hear that the last 100km is fairly "touristy" and people prefer starting from further out.

https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com/camino-primitivo-guide/

I've seen trail markers for the Camino as far east as the Tatra mountains in Slovakia and hear of people starting in places like Denmark (I've even walked about 10-hours worth of trail in Ramstein, Germany during one of my visits out that way).  It's one of those things that people can really drag out to insane levels of variety.

But most importantly, if he needs a place to stop and rest or finds himself in need then I'm only a short drive away from Slovenia and Italy (a bit further from Spain and Greece, unfortunately).

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/24 9:18 a.m.

Thank you for the intel and hospitality offer!!

I'll share with him if he ever comes home from the rockies!

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mksUHVhOy8k90DZcp7HUFsKf1gdT6zchWIErxRYaHMsnQ9GyV1u0jm3J2NauD0E8