AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
9/9/24 9:34 a.m.

My Silverado is getting long in the tooth. I think of it as being a reliable truck but in all honesty it has left me stranded way more than anything else I've owned. The fixes are usually simple and cheap, but at 22 years old and almost 300k miles, the frequency of problems is only going to increase. Ever since I put a cap on my truck I've found I don't miss having unlimited vertical space as much as I thought I might, but I use the full length of my 8 foot bed pretty frequently. A huge SUV will work fine, and should be cheaper to get than an equivalent truck.

I'm considering a 2nd Gen Toyota Sequoia as my truck's replacement. They're purportedly very reliable, they have tow ratings of 10,000 lbs in the earlier years, and they have enough space inside for all my junk. I'm aware of the tendency to eat water pumps, but is there anything else I should know about these things? Should I consider the Nissan Armada as well?

johndej
johndej UltraDork
9/9/24 10:05 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/24 1:30 p.m.

I'm doing the same thought exercise.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
9/9/24 3:04 p.m.

they get absolutely awful gas mileage.  like worse than you'd think

AMiataCalledSteve
9/10/24 11:35 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

Thanks for this, this is very helpful. They seem like excellent trucks. They are pushing my price range a little though and they all have 1 billion miles, at least near me, which is also making me think of the Nissan Armada. Not quite as robust it seems but almost as powerful and way cheaper and commonly found with way less miles.

9/10/24 2:00 p.m.

Armadas are really cheap. I don't know much about them, except for a well informed friend who said they have reputation for the radiator blowing out and filling the transmission with coolant. 

My thought was to bypass the radiator and install an auxiliary transmission cooler. 

AMiataCalledSteve
9/10/24 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

It seems like an all-aluminum aftermarket radiator would probably fix that issue fairly simply and inexpensively as well

Alexw99182
Alexw99182 New Reader
9/15/24 1:50 p.m.

The 2nd Gen Sequoia is a solid choice! You’re right about their reliability they have got that Toyota longevity, and the 10,000 lbs tow rating is definitely a plus if you’re hauling. Besides the water pumps, keep an eye on things like the exhaust manifolds they’re known to crack and the air suspension on higher trims which can be a pain when it goes. The Nissan Armada is worth a look too it has got a strong V8 and a similar towing capacity, though the interior might not feel as refined, and it's a bit thirstier on gas. Both are great, but Toyota edges out in long term dependability. If space, towing, and reliability are priorities, the Sequoia would be tough to beat.

9/15/24 8:11 p.m.

I don't care whether the interior is as nice in the Armada. I'm more concerned about whether it's going to leave me stranded, or require constant minor repairs. 

If they have reasonable reliability, then I would consider one. Prices are about 60% of a comparable age, mileage and condition sequoia. 

I have other thoughts, but I don't wanna take over someone else's thread.

AMiataCalledSteve
9/17/24 7:38 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

These are my same considerations. From what research I've done, it seems like generally they are decently robust. Most of what I've read about the related Titan has been positive, reliability-wise. The only person I found who vocally opposes them is the Car Wizard on YouTube, who says that the cats can break up and chunks can work their way up into the engine and destroy it, so check to see if the cats rattle before you buy one. He's the only person I've heard mention this issue. However, he also bought a 1st gen QX56 after that, so...

I'm really strongly considering going Armada. I would love to buy a Sequoia for its Toyota-ness and the larger aftermarket, but I just don't think my budget will support it. On a related note, anyone interested in a 2002 long bed ex cab 4x4 Silverado?

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/24 1:31 p.m.

An automotive YouTuber "Gingium" bought a Sequioa for a tow rig, not sure on generation as I don't know that much about them. I think he seems overall happy with it but the impression I got it wasn't a perfect setup. Not sure if you've seen any of his videos on since you mentioned a little YouTube research from the Car Wizard. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X8vmkOX7TELS8rHgpTodMfCj2osTDzoyUOLCdDIADrHJtsWRt1dkfQVWiI0SbCot