stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/16 11:30 a.m.

A 1966 Valiant, relatively rust-free. Originally a /6, but has a 273 and 904 trans that goes with it. Has a complete Signet interior.

$750

no title

So...good deal or money pit?

trucke
trucke Dork
7/20/16 11:51 a.m.

Of course it's a money pit! Just buy it already and tell us more..with pictures.....

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/20/16 12:26 p.m.

No title would not be a deal breaker where I live - check your state's laws to see if something from 1966 even needs a title.

The biggest nuisance when dealing with an early Valiant is finding some of the chrome trim bits and interior items. Mechanicals are stone-axe simple.

stan
7/20/16 1:09 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: No title would not be a deal breaker where I live - check your state's laws to see if something from 1966 even needs a title. The biggest nuisance when dealing with an early Valiant is finding some of the chrome trim bits and interior items. Mechanicals are stone-axe simple.

Title is the biggest thing holding me back (hence the italics). Here in Ohio it looks to be a long, drawn out, convoluted, pain-in-the-ass process. I'm sure I won't lose money, but....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/20/16 1:13 p.m.
stan wrote: it looks to be a long, drawn out, convoluted, pain-in-the-ass process.

and you expect the restoration/build not to be....

buy it already

stan
7/20/16 1:46 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
stan wrote: it looks to be a long, drawn out, convoluted, pain-in-the-ass process.
and you expect the restoration/build not to be....

NO!

...but that's the fun part!

pirate
pirate Reader
7/20/16 2:50 p.m.

If the car still has the VIN Plate and the state can run a check that verifies it was not a stolen vehicle a title can usually be issued if you are willing to do the paperwork. Other states (don't know about Ohio) have "assembled from parts" titles that you submit Notary Sealed paperwork as well as sales receipts for major components (engine, trans, differential)and a new VIN is issued and plate attached to the car. If you buy the car just make sure you get a Notarized Bill of Sale stating the title is not available or lost.

SEMA has done a lot of work to make getting titles easier and has a break down by state as to whats required. A missing title shouldn't be the reason for passing on the deal if its what you really want.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/20/16 4:50 p.m.

Title should be "check out my '66 valiant!"

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
7/20/16 5:03 p.m.

If you're confident you can obtain a title without killing any bureaucrats and it's rust free (or damn near) go for it.

pirate
pirate Reader
7/21/16 1:56 p.m.

I have an "Assembled from Parts Title" and the process was pretty painless once I found the right person to talk to. My local Secretary State/Probate Office was useless. Finally just called the State Department of Transportation Office and just asked who I needed to speak to to obtain a Title. Spoke with a women who answersed all my questions and told me in detail what needed to be done. She then told me to send my notarized paperwork to her attention via overnight mail and she would take care of it which she did. Within a week a State Trooper assigned to the DOT called and made an appointment with me for an inspection. He brought the new VIN Plate and asked that it be riveted in place while he wittnessed it. He signed the paperwork and said I could go get plates when I liked. All other paperwork and title were sent within 10 days.

Per my other post here is a link to the SEMA site with information from each state as to what is required http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/21/16 2:26 p.m.

Is it nice enough to add $800. to its value as she sits right now? You could get one through Vermont for $800. If it were a motorcycle I could do it in NY, cars I'm not sure of.

Dan

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/21/16 2:34 p.m.

Looks like they can be made to look good. What it's worth depends on how much you want it.

To pull it off, you're going to need a truly staccato camshaft. I support this endeavour.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/16 7:29 p.m.

Yes, you should! Wait...what was the question?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/16 8:14 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote:

Notch back Barracuda! I have only seen one of those, ever. It was in a junkyard. I might just like that better than a Barracuda

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/16 10:07 p.m.

They are cleaner looking that my barracuda. I have the same year barracuda.

Couple of things to note, the 66 and before A bodies have a lot of specialty parts and quirks about them. The biggest one is the room int he engine compartment. The engine bay was never meant to house a v8. Trying to get a set of headers in there is an exercise in patience. The early and later torque converters are different pilot sizes so make sure the engine and transmission they have match up. Also, the shift linkage, kickdown linkage, and throttle cable are different for the /6 and V8. final thing is the rear end is weak so anything much more that 250 HP is going to be hard to keep it together.

You'll spend a good amount of money fixing it up and honestly, they aren't worth anything when you sell. I'd do back flips if I got $11K out of my barracuda and I have almost that into it.

stan
7/26/16 7:00 a.m.

Well....I didn't get it. The guy that emailed before me took it home Saturday. I was #2.

Missed it by that much -> <-

6volttia
6volttia New Reader
8/15/16 1:20 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

That blue and grey combination is awesome!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/15/16 3:41 p.m.

I passed on a '64 about 10 years ago and still regret it. Just get so we can live through you!

stan
8/18/16 7:47 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I passed on a '64 about 10 years ago and still regret it. Just get so we can live through you!

See my previous post..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tMmvuH66z1sWqGyjvzwxwu9YywMEK0RedLfIxZvSerfoP1jMTMNtSaT4zx0lelTM