singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/28/16 4:06 a.m.

We leave in the morning and forgot to work on the trailer. It needs new tires. We are using the stock ones from the Lexus challenge car but the use a tapered lug on slightly larger studs whereas the wheels are flat mount. If I use the tapered nut on these wheels, how bad is it going to be?

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/16 5:27 a.m.

I would not recommend using anything but the correct type of lug nuts. At least check them for tightness frequently, like after 50 miles and every couple hundred after that. If the nuts don't match up to the wheel properly they will have a tendency to loosen up.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/28/16 7:47 a.m.

Bad, dont do it.

The fastner relies on the surface friction and pressure loading in order to resist coming undone. Basically, it will come undone very easily.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
9/28/16 8:12 a.m.

Trailer costs are not factored into the $2016 budget. Use the right lugs somehow. Trailering is not the place to experiment with Crapcan solutions.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
9/28/16 9:43 a.m.

Are they closed end nuts? If not can you turn them around and use the flat side? I have done that in a pinch.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/28/16 9:59 a.m.

Problem is, even the back side is not really flat. More rounded.

Get the right nuts.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/28/16 10:05 a.m.

Yeah, your local parts store should have the correct nuts. Go get some!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/28/16 4:48 p.m.

On the road without jank lug nuts. See you guys in 16 hours

TGMF
TGMF Reader
9/28/16 9:28 p.m.

Hope you repacked your bearings!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/29/16 3:56 a.m.

Welp, we blew a tire just north of Macon. Now I am sitting at a restaurant stop waiting for my team to come back with a new rim. The spares we brought didn't have a large enough bore.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/29/16 7:20 a.m.

Dang. I had that happen with a car on the way to midtern exams in college. The spare was the wrong bolt pattern(didnt know)

Back up and running?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
15HI2Lc1817Qo7So5xZ9BUkfQxSZLFRSZQMFLJV5o0pQKOxBSNCZqM206EMFxwua