unevolved
unevolved Dork
8/14/13 10:26 a.m.

So this all started with the $1800 330i thread a while back. I was real tempted to sell my E30 (which still hasn't happened by the way, hint hint...) and pick up that cheap E46. One thing lead to another, and I began religiously scouring Craigslist for a cheap(er) 330i 5 speed sedan. I went to look at two cars, and both fell through. One seller was scared off by a bank check (probably some additional sketchiness there), and the other was a complete pile of crap. Extensive body damage, etc. The guy wanted $6500 for it, I just laughed and walked away.

One morning during my usual Craigslist searching, I found this 2003 325i listed as "2003 BMW" with no other identifiers. Not too far away, so I went to go take a look. Mileage was on the high side at 177,000, but other than that it was in great shape. Two windows didn't work, and it needed new brakes. No imperfections in the paint larger than a dime, and there were only two of those. I drove it to a local independent BMW shop (MPH Automotive, for you Houston people), and they gave their blessing with a list of minor problems. From what I can tell, it's been dealer-maintained its entire life. Even has a BMW-reman'd alternator. All the interior widgets work, too.

I agreed on $4000, plus TT&L from the "dealer," although calling these people a dealership was a stretch. After a weeks' worth of headache and improperly filed paperwork, they got their money from the bank and I left with the car. Paying through the bank was a headache, and while I could have paid cash, I want to have a car note on my credit history, as I've paid cash for every other car I've owned.

I've put over 1500 miles on it since I bought it two weeks ago, and I love the damn thing. SO much more comfortable than an old F-150 or an E30. And even though it's "just" a 2.5L instead of the 3.0 in the 330i, it's certainly not slow. I got 27mpg on a 4-hour road trip doing 80mph with a bike on the back. Compared to what I'm used to, this thing eats up the highway like none other. I've yet to really make it dance at an AutoX or track day, but that's most definitely in its future.

So yeah. E46 prices are dropping, and there's still some excellent examples out there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/14/13 10:30 a.m.

Much better deal than I paid for my 330xi a few years ago, nicely done

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/13 10:47 a.m.

Very well done, good sir. (And that's from a person who generally loathes BMW's)

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/14/13 11:48 a.m.

Well played! I have a 2003 just like that in Mystic Blau. It does have the sport package and half the mileage, but I love driving the thing. It needs some minor loving (window regulator, valve cover gasket, headliner) but it runs like a top and I neglect the hell out of it, unfortunately.

Change the transmission oil (I used Redline MTL), throw a set of brake pads and rotors on it (including sensors), and drive the wheels off of it!

unevolved
unevolved Dork
8/14/13 1:04 p.m.

I'll have to do that, mine needs window motors as well on two of them. I've got a bunch of Heavy Shockproof sitting on a shelf, I need to find out if that will work well.

dinger
dinger Reader
8/14/13 1:19 p.m.
unevolved wrote: Two windows didn't work, and it needed new brakes.

On E46's this is stated, "Two windows still work!"

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
8/14/13 1:32 p.m.

Haha! I was actually thinking about my new to me '99 323i when I read the title. I bought it cheap because it was in a minor accident and had it repaired. It never had an insurance claim so it's still a clean title. I've got about $3,500 in it.

By the way, if you want the center molding without the license bracket built into it, they're about $30 from the dealer. I can find the part number if you're interested. I think it really cleans up the front end of these cars, though it's not nearly as noticeable on a dark gray car.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
8/14/13 2:10 p.m.

Yeah, I've noticed the molding bothers me much less on the dark silver than it does on other cars. I think I'll just stick with a front plate, especially since they're required in TX. No sense adding to the fun if I get pulled over for something else.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
8/14/13 2:12 p.m.

Definitely.

No front plate in Indiana, so that molding had to go!

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/14/13 3:15 p.m.

Yeah, I bought my plate-delete molding about a week after I bought the car. It was during that brief shining moment when RealOEM actually sold parts.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/13 4:57 p.m.
Duke wrote: Well played! I have a 2003 just like that in Mystic Blau. It does have the sport package and half the mileage, but I love driving the thing. It needs some minor loving (window regulator, valve cover gasket, headliner) but it runs like a top and I neglect the hell out of it, unfortunately. Change the transmission oil (I used Redline MTL), throw a set of brake pads and rotors on it (including sensors), and drive the wheels off of it!

Are the window regulators like the E36 where the grease gets old and sticky and starts to grab the plastic runner, causing the knob to pop out and sending the glass dropping into the door?

If it is, it is a -very- easy fix. Clean out the old nasty grease and apply lubricant, I like high temp axle grease, and snap in some new plastic runners.. put it all back together for less than the price of a 6 pack

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
8/14/13 5:05 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Nope. These use bicycle shifter cables on plastic pulleys. The cable breaks or the plastic breaks.

I bought my 99 328i with 197K for $2K and promptly put another $2K in repairs. $1K was (upgraded) suspension and over $500 for tires though.

They make great cruisers. More comfy and quiet than the IS300 it replaced, but not as quick and nimble.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/13 10:03 p.m.

The E46s locally on CL are cheaper than the respective E36s. They definitely represent a great value right now!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mjHffUvDxFBkXcMMNCVhERzwYUvpKYalUTBaoZroRIbnCUeJ1nRVzHycg3ToY08u