1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/30/13 8:09 p.m.

Thanks, I'll look for some of it...

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
3/30/13 9:59 p.m.

Yep, it shares bolts with the exhaust manifold. Those heat shields are a real pain, too. Sometimes you can use ratcheting wrenches or get creative with 1/4" drive sockets / extensions / universals and get some of them from under the car.

I have some pictures that may help you out. http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album62&page=1

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/30/13 10:51 p.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: I have some pictures that may help you out. http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album62&page=1

Thanks. I appreciate it. BTW, this one scares me How many of them broke on you?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/30/13 11:10 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

The lower nuts on the Volvo aren't too bad. You can at least see them and I have a selection of universal joint sockets which often get into tight places better than a socket on a universal joint.

Some of the ones on a single carb Spitfire engine are done totally blind. Those are fun.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
3/31/13 11:30 a.m.

Actually, it looks worse than it was. The front most and rear-most studs tend to snap on these cars due to the manifold expanding then contracting with heat cycles. Though it was snapped flush, it came out easily with the ez-out.

I'm pretty sure the intake manifold doesn't even connect at those particular studs anyway, but you will need to get them off to change the gasket.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
3/31/13 11:33 a.m.

Also - to prevent the studs from snapping again, I just waller'ed out the hole in the manifold with a dremel. A little extra room is all it needs, and the washers are plenty big to still have meat to grab on to.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
3/31/13 12:28 p.m.

" it came out easily with the ez-out." I have never seen that said before.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/31/13 1:00 p.m.

I'm not messing with the manifold today. I'll tackle it later in the week, maybe even next weekend. I'm still trying to catch up on work after being sick.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
4/1/13 1:04 p.m.
cwh wrote: " it came out easily with the ez-out." I have never seen that said before.

Exactly, like a elevendybillion times!

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
4/1/13 1:04 p.m.
cwh wrote: " it came out easily with the ez-out." I have never seen that said before.

Exactly, like a elevendybillion times!

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/1/13 7:16 p.m.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid just posted this to the hotlink thread. I'm reposting it here to inspire myself

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/15/13 8:32 p.m.

All the bolts are loose. The only thing stopping me now is some stupid exhaust recirculation thingy connecting the intake and exhaust manifolds.....I just hit it with PB blaster.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rpKcBHzFdmMjD4zZ3ndAdD8z6vnqTvOZ1eWA2ah4zq3BQVn80bdexRXi8bMDgY7W