Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/20/12 9:16 a.m.
Jake
Jake HalfDork
11/20/12 9:30 a.m.

Love it. That would be a hysterical thing to take to the oldsters’ car shows- some of the old guys would take a year to get their shorts out of a twist.

And beyond that, I bet it would get up and GO.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
11/20/12 9:59 a.m.

Wonder how they got that engine.....

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
11/20/12 10:09 a.m.

Somewhere, someone is having a stroke over this.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/20/12 10:14 a.m.

Interesting. I didn't click the link, so maybe it's answered there but, why not go with an LSX? If it's to be different, I can dig that. I'm just wondering.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
11/20/12 10:16 a.m.

Its a 210, not a BelAir. My god, someone is wrong on the internet. Call Al Gore.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
11/20/12 10:37 a.m.

Lets see, you put a 650 Toyota Nascar V8 in a 210 and then saddle it with an automatic transmission? So much fail on that point. A 6-speed MT would have been a more appropriate choice.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/20/12 10:46 a.m.

Could they not find matching, rust free lug nuts?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/12 10:52 a.m.

Nice car.

A few points.

First, that's a 210. A real Bel Air will have no pillars (hardtop) and the trim along the side will be double with more of the two-tone color between it, all the way to the front. Like this:

Notice all of the extra chrome flourishes such as the fender strakes, wheel finishers, etc.

Here's a post-coupe 210 like the build car:

The 210 could be ordered in the hardtop as well and it was the middle trim level. It became the Biscayne in 1958.

The bottom trim was the 150:

It was only available as a post car, and was the most spartan trimmed. This became the Del Ray in 1958.

I have no idea if any of this is important or anybody cares, but for some reason I find the 1950's trim differences fascinating.

Anyway...

The car in question is actually really well done. I agree that the auto is a bit of a let down (why no 4-speed?), but it's still well built and looks great. I actually like the swap (because I'm sick of anything LS). IIRC, there's a guy that works for TRD/Toyota NASCAR that's built quite a few Chevys though, including a Nova Wagon, all powered by ex-NASCAR V8's. I wonder if this is that same guy?

Javelin
11/20/12 10:53 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Ooooooouch!!!!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
11/20/12 11:09 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Nice car. A few points. First, that's a 210. A real Bel Air will have no pillars (hardtop)

Not true, Bel Air was a trim level. It could be had on both the Hardtop (no pillars) or the Sedan (pillars). In 1956, there were both 2-door and 4-door Hardtops.

http://www.danchuk.com/images/Downloads%5CCatalog%5C2012-Catalog-31%5C17-Original-Specifications.pdf

The trim the is on the original car above is a 210 trim.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/20/12 11:13 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: *Ooooooouch!!!!*

It's a nice car, but to see a $20 detail overlooked kinda stands out.

Javelin
11/20/12 11:43 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Javelin wrote: Nice car. A few points. First, that's a 210. A real Bel Air will have no pillars (hardtop)
Not true, Bel Air was a trim level. It could be had on both the Hardtop (no pillars) or the Sedan (pillars). In 1956, there were both 2-door and 4-door Hardtops. http://www.danchuk.com/images/Downloads%5CCatalog%5C2012-Catalog-31%5C17-Original-Specifications.pdf The trim the is on the original car above is a 210 trim.

Whoops, yes, correct. The Bel Air was still available with both posts and no posts in 56. The 150 was the only post-only car.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
11/20/12 11:44 a.m.

Damn clean engine bay... I likes!!!

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
11/20/12 12:11 p.m.

I've heard NASCAR teams don't re-use the lug nuts. Maybe he got his that way.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/20/12 12:15 p.m.

Even though I favor two-door hardtops, I'm holding out for a Business Coupe.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/20/12 1:18 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: *Ooooooouch!!!!*
It's a nice car, but to see a $20 detail overlooked kinda stands out.

I have to agree with you. Why the heck wouldn't you go to O'pep-zone and pick up some lug nuts? They could have picked up lighted windshield washer nozzles to go with it.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/20/12 1:20 p.m.

They were probably working on it up until the moment that the photographer got there. They needed to put the wheels on and, well, realized they didn't have a matching set just a little too late.

I'm surprised that this crowd wouldn't realize instinctively how hard it is to have a project "finished" on time.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/20/12 3:25 p.m.
dculberson wrote: They were probably working on it up until the moment that the photographer got there. They needed to put the wheels on and, well, realized they didn't have a matching set just a little too late. I'm surprised that this crowd wouldn't realize instinctively how hard it is to have a project "finished" on time.

Oh I understand. I also understand that they placed 472 different orders with parts houses and suppliers. At some point the wheels were removed. I'd have ordered them at that point. If some huge conglomeration of crap made that not happen and I got to the photo shoot I'd have ran down to the parts store, or at least to the parking lot for even just 10 decent lug nuts.
I'm not judging, just surprised.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/20/12 3:39 p.m.

I totally get how they would be overlooked until the last minute. I don't know how the situation isn't resolved in 20 minutes, either with a trip to FLAPS or via some black spray paint to at least hide the mistake.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
11/20/12 4:36 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I totally get how they would be overlooked until the last minute. I don't know how the situation isn't resolved in 20 minutes, either with a trip to FLAPS or via some black spray paint to at least hide the mistake.

That's "patina".

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/21/12 6:47 p.m.

I think the question is not why the lugs nuts are rusty, but why in the hell you were looking at the lugnuts.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/21/12 9:14 p.m.

they put the auto trans in it because that's what's cool these days. .it's generally accompanied by a controller with cheesy flappy paddle shifters on the steering wheel so they can feel like Captain Slow when he drove the Veyron at 250mph..

regarding the lug nuts- there's really no good excuse for that... order them with the wheels. it's the kind of thing that just sticks out- like when you are looking at the engine bay of some high end musclecar that is totally detailed and everything is in it's place and then you notice the Wal Mart Everstart battery and cheesy cables with a replacement terminal on the end... or that same highly detailed engine bay with one of those awful looking orangish heater hoses on it with hose clamps that are 3 sizes too big and have a long piece of the clamp just hanging out in the breeze..

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/22/12 7:36 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Its a 210, not a BelAir. My god, someone is wrong on the internet. Call Al Gore.

if you click on the link it clearly states that it is a 210

"We're talking about a 1956 Chevrolet Two-Ten coupe that's had a 650-horsepower, 5.8-liter OHV V8 from Toyota Racing Development dropped into the engine bay."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7UaIZec3dLoWqHK9TawyS4i4e96DAgfxM06d3cyjO7Dohf95LVlalx5BHqPlKAT0