1 ... 18 19 20
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/14/24 1:17 p.m.

Had a lot of other things going on, but today I tried to connect the parking brake cables and... WHAT?!?

Shouldn't there be a lever to connect the brake cable? And a tie bar separating the brake shoes with a spring on it? And shouldn't the adjuster lever face the rear of the car? Something's not right about this axle...

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/24 2:06 p.m.

Yup. You're missing some parts.  The shoes are on backwards as well.  The short liner goes on the front.

MadScientistMatt
10/14/24 2:45 p.m.

As long as I'm working under it, I ought to see why the gas gauge isn't reading right. The sender should read 10 ohms full and 73 empty.

81 ohms

19.9 ohms

After taking it apart and, well, I'm not sure just what I did, but the top reading is now 10 ohms.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
10/15/24 10:22 a.m.

Hi Matt,

if you had a 7.25" Rear  Axle before, then the cable adjustment is going to be different for an 8.75" axle that is replacing it.

You need to lengthen the adjustment under the drivers' Seat area below that car.

1/4" and 1/2" open-end wrenches are needed.  Likely the square end of the cable for the 1/4 wrench is no longer wrenchable. use vise grips instead.

MadScientistMatt
10/15/24 11:41 a.m.

Thanks! I already backed the adjustment way off to make removing the axle easier, so I was planning on redoing that anyway.

1 ... 18 19 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AuxZVoKCKvmj51eJrLKm7w2sXFap56gUwEr48LK1jbAGxuQkvYU3rFPkWXWmMpAN