1 ... 5 6 7 8
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/16/17 4:25 p.m.

Just sold a power seat switch for $120. Knocking down that budget

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/17/17 6:50 a.m.

How do you go about setting prices for these items? Scanning Ebay, forums, etc for perceived market value? I wouldn't begin to know what some of those bits would command... I know there's a Corvette tax, but good grief!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/17/17 8:17 a.m.

I search on ebay. Find a similar item and then hit the "sell similar" button. I normally price mine a little below the others and offer free shipping.

I ordered a differential rebuild kit from Summitt racing. $209 for the heavy duty kit with timikin bearings.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/17 1:46 p.m.

according to my math, a week from today you're going to pass the point of turning a profit on the parts car. hello free body panels.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/26/17 5:10 p.m.

You make this look too easy, it's giving me bad thoughts and going to get me in trouble with SWMBO due to something about more vehicles than days in the week.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/26/17 5:39 p.m.

Should have zeroed the parts car next week, when shell is picked up. Ordered a used diff. Hopefully it will be here next week.

PCA instructor school February 10th...

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
2/3/17 7:49 p.m.

This thread is amazing.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/3/17 7:53 p.m.

Sold the shell to another forum member yesterday for $850. Still have one fender, rear bumper, both doors and the rear hatch not to mention lots of miscellaneous pieces.

I am installing the replacement differential tomorrow.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/4/17 3:20 p.m.

Replacement differential fixed the noise

In other news I sold the air bladder from the drivers seat for $60

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/17 6:23 p.m.

nice! glad that worked. my turn to start recouping next.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/6/17 8:04 p.m.

Ordered a set of c6 z06 shocks. It is a common upgrade. The chevy dealership will deliver them tomorrow.

I was initially going to order a set of koni's but the z06 shocks are $300 for all 4 and the koni's are $1200. I will be running z51 springs and sway bars so the z06 shocks should be more then sufficient.

I had to have the f55 suspension disabled. When I unplugged the rear shocks to do the rear differential Saturday, I got the dreaded 80 MPH top speed message.

$20 later it was fixed by the local Cadillac shop. Not a bad deal for all involved. He made $20 for 5 minutes of time with a GM tech 2 and I got my problem fixed for a reasonable price.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
2/7/17 7:49 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I had to have the f55 suspension disabled. When I unplugged the rear shocks to do the rear differential Saturday, I got the dreaded 80 MPH top speed message.

I'm not too familiar with 'Vettes. What does this mean?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/7/17 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

The f55 option gives the Vette electric shocks. Upon disconnecting the electricity from the shocks the car then senses you are in danger and limits the top speed of the car to 80 mph.

To overcome this, GM dealers have a proprietary programmer, tool called a Tech 2. For $20 the Cadillac dealer used this Tech 2 to change the cars programming to now accept non electronic shocks like you would get if the car was bought with the Z06 options.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/7/17 4:01 p.m.

Good explanation John.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
2/7/17 10:49 p.m.

That is looking great man. I just got caught up on this thread, it's getting me very motivated to work on the C6 I bought last year. I've been stock piling parts so hopefully once I get started it wil be a quick turn around like you've done here.

Thanks for the post and insperation!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/8/17 5:03 p.m.

In case you were wondering if 2 305/30/18's, 2 275/40/17's, a toolbox, a jack and a helmet will fit in a c5. Yes they will...

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
2/8/17 8:06 p.m.

Sometimes, I wish I had a hatch. The Z06 couldn't fit a spare (sans tire) Z06 rear wheel in the trunk, it had to ride on the passenger seat.

Fortunately, my lunch date that day decided not to come and "get abducted by Craigslist." I think stuffing her into a trunk would've only compounded those fears.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/12/17 10:36 a.m.

I am officially a PCA instructor now!

In other news the corvette broke again. I had to take my check ride in my buddy's 2016 m3.

The vent on the top of the differential got stuck closed. This pressurized the diff and forced the fluid out the seals. The differential started screaming after 6 laps

Unfortunately I paid for the whole weekend and the car didn't even make it through Friday. That's two track days in a row which the car let me down.

Sentra never once let me down in the nine years I owned it.

I am seriously considering selling the vette...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
2/12/17 12:17 p.m.

How do you blame the car for something you did?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/17 12:24 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: How do you blame the car for something you did?

He purposedly closed the vent shut?

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/12/17 1:05 p.m.

Unfortunately PCA is like that. On my 3rd lap out of my first session of the day I lost a coolant hose on my M3. Didn't have the parts to fix it at the track.

Policy was that since my car was on the track, no refund or credit towards my next event.

That sucked.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/12/17 1:21 p.m.

What sort of vent gets stuck closed? That's bad luck even by GM standards.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
2/12/17 7:27 p.m.

my understanding is that he worked on the diff...He could have put the hose in teh wrong way, it could have gotten kinked on reinstall etc...

also, gm has HORRIBLE history with diffs. first gen cts-v and it's glass jaw... Even mazdeuce had issues with his dif when it at the time was a really new cts-v wagon...

I'm just saying getting rid of a car after something broke when you jsut worked in the area seems a bit... premature.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/12/17 8:35 p.m.

I put a differential from a salvage yard in the car.

This is the vent that was broken and wasn't allowing the differential to breath. It is not something to hook up or leave un-connected. I put new gm seals in the diff prior to installing it.

Salvage yard is covering diff under warranty.

I am just frustrated, my 1994 se-r with 270k miles never let me down once in nine years. So far the corvette is 0 for 2.

I am out $500 for the school and track day, not to mention the hotel and gas. I guess I took the reliability of the Sentra for granted.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/12/17 9:16 p.m.

Looks like a jiggle vent, maybe the yard dropped it or something and damaged it.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XZMipVF5itl6xKycoGVK9NKpo2Bb7HynLJTWsbjXJw2kIeKNcCVYcFoY7q2INRF1