1 ... 18 19 20
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/11/23 9:42 a.m.

I get so excited when I see this pop back up. And that is a really pretty blue on the one with the modified door hinges

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
12/11/23 1:00 p.m.
Stu Lasswell said:

First of all, thanks for posting something on my forum page, ViperT4 and Slo_M... almost 2 months since I posted all that update and photos, and I was thinking nobody was bothering to follow the progress!   But really, that suggestion about  modifying the limiting straps in the door pillars is a great idea. I just pulled a door off last week, and was looking at that part, although my hinge hardware looks extremely corroded. I may have to cut them out, although the hinges themselves look pretty good... appear to be aluminum.

Looking at your gutted door... have you looked into power window lifts?  Very reasonable on Amazon, and my components look very corroded, and don't operate very smoothly, so I'm thinking that might be a solution.  Also, my exterior door handles are pretty pitted, but vintage Cortina handles are rare and pricey. I'm thinking maybe MGB or Spitfire handles could be substituted, or maybe even early Miata if I'm going to be glassing/cutting holes for new hardware. Just wondering if you've seen or heard of anyone doing either of these modifications?

Defintiely following along! I'm just more the silent stalker type personality. I don't have any tips nor have I come across anyone who's done a power window conversion for the M. Maybe try the Facebook groups, specifically the British ones? They seem like they use these cars as hybrid classic/regular transportation moreso than we do over here so I wouldn't be surprised if people have done more modernizing.

On the door handles, I also have not see anyone mention converting to a different style. Looking at different examples, I think the biggest challenge will be finding one where the plunger and lock cylinder are interated in one unit but also just below the rest of the handle, as opposed to in line with the end of the handle which seems to be more common. THough I suppose if you're going to be cutting and glassing like you mention anything is possible.

I did find these on the 'Bay. Not sure how much you're looking to spend. Looks like you'd just have to transfer over your existing lock cylinder on the driver's side. https://www.ebay.com/itm/235308334125?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=QCM5_Cm4TjK&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=aZX0_Y15QEi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
12/13/23 12:00 p.m.

I was just looking on Andrew gray's website for something I need and saw the might still have Cortina door handles as well. Might be worth a shop reaching out.

https://www.tvrpre80sparts.com/door-handles-pedal-rubbers

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
1/12/24 2:38 p.m.
Stu Lasswell said:

Looking at your gutted door... have you looked into power window lifts?  Very reasonable on Amazon, and my components look very corroded, and don't operate very smoothly, so I'm thinking that might be a solution.  Also, my exterior door handles are pretty pitted, but vintage Cortina handles are rare and pricey. I'm thinking maybe MGB or Spitfire handles could be substituted, or maybe even early Miata if I'm going to be glassing/cutting holes for new hardware. Just wondering if you've seen or heard of anyone doing either of these modifications?

Just came across this on Andrew's website as well in regards to your window lift components. Once you have the crank gear you could probably fabricate any remaining pieces you need pretty quickly. I definitely won't say the Andrew's the end all be all of TVR parts suppliers, but at least he has a lot of TVR specific items that others don't carry.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
1/12/24 4:32 p.m.

I saw the recent listing of the crank mechanisms by Andrew Gray, but I have no doubt that they won't be cheap!  I have pulled one of the window frames out of a door, and it seems that there is plenty of room for an electric window lift.  Looks to be about $150 for the complete kit for both doors. Also looks like I could set it up to allow the windows to fall completely into the door... something the original design wouldn't do.  I hated the fact that the windows would not drop all the way in.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
9/10/24 10:19 a.m.

Have you been able to move it forward, since January? 

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/13/24 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Sorry to say... no.  Been really busy with more work on my TR3, mostly with Michael's (Dusterbd13) help. Actually, Michael has been busy with my TR3 more than I have been.  In fact, just got in an hour ago from a 10 hour drive from Indiana.  Trailered the Triumph to the Vintage Triumph Register's national meet. Spent 4 days there, driving around, doing a gimmick rally, a car show naturally... and an autocross! New classing bumped my car from "modified" to "X" or "highly modified/race prepped"!  Won my class regardless, but once again failed to get FTD. Maybe next year!

Another distraction has been the acquisition of a car that has been on my wish list for 40 years... a Morgan. A few weeks ago I picked up a 1968 Morgan +4.  It's a very nice car that had unfortunately sat neglected for several years.  I've been going through the usual refresh... oil, filter, drain gas tank, lube everything... and have driven it 80-90 miles so far. And, well, Morgans are weird! It's a decade newer than my Triumph, with the same engine (basically)  but drives like a car 20 years older, at least. Steering is heavy, the gearbox is slow and uncooperative, the driving position is awkward, and definitely not made for a 6'4" driver with size 13 feet! I even took the angle grinder and cut over a half inch off the side of the brake pedal so I'd have room to use the throttle pedal unimpeded! I know this is supposed to be about the TVR build, but I'll try to get a photo or 2 of the Morgan up here soon.  And get going on the TVR! 

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith Reader
9/15/24 11:15 a.m.

Glad you had fun at the VTR. I wish I could have attended. I saw that the autocross FTD was grabbed by a Spitfire.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/15/24 7:24 p.m.

In reply to oppositelocksmith :

Yes, a very modified Spit on 100tw tires. He said he had FTD  a couple of times before. Time was limited because a cropduster was using the field and each time he returned they had to clear the course.  Only got 3 runs, and I know I left at least a second on the table... never really got in the flow of the course. He got FTD, and a TR8 got me by .05 seconds. So, 3rd overall, 1st in class. At least I was faster than any 4- or 6-cylinder TR!

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/15/24 7:32 p.m.

I said I'd try to upload a photo of the Morgan +4, so here ya go! I took the front bumper off for the cleaner look, but have since returned it ... looks a little naked without it. Maybe just the over-riders. Hmm.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
9/15/24 7:51 p.m.

In reply to oppositelocksmith :

Me too.  We had a scheduling conflict with my wife's autistic son and had to stay in Colorado.  So I avoided being trounced by Stu.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/24 8:40 p.m.

That Morgan is really cool!

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/16/24 9:25 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Thanks, Scott.  The +4 used the 4-cylinder TR2-3-4 motor, so after 30 years of TR3 ownership the engine is quite familiar. In most every other way the Morgan is another creature, although quintessentially British! Truly hand made,family owned since 1909 and still made at the same factory since then. Driving it is, well, an interesting experience. I love looking at it, and I'm sure that when I've got it sorted it will be a great car. I'm already looking at the parts suppliers for all the ways I can update and improve it, and the potential for further depleting my retirement savings seem endless!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/16/24 11:17 p.m.

I see a +4SS bonnet scoop, does it have the Webers, or at least filters on the SUs? 

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/20/24 10:49 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Good eye. Alas, no Webers, but it had a pair of pancake-style filters on the S.U. HS6s.  The scoop is a very well integrated steel piece, welded in to provide a nice semicircular opening.  I ordered a pair of the K&N style conical filters and they fit like they were made for it.  I'm still amazed that Morgan never provided for air filters on the +4s (other than the Super Sports).

1 ... 18 19 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kNjSxqAB4t9Yb9grsL0TEYHhewByH2ei9A3aNIWoEQLbIV97ufhtA1EupQHHKq9F