1 2 3 4 5 6
Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/12/23 1:15 p.m.

The body is expected to go back on tonight. 

Meanwhile, here's the status quo, in a handful of images.  

Part of why I used this differential, as opposed to going with my first choice (the Salisbury 4HU) was that it has more cooling fins cast into it than a '30s Alfa racing engine.  

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/15/23 12:39 a.m.

With thanks to some kindly (and strongly) folks from next to the Home Depot. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
12/15/23 8:13 a.m.

Awesome!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/23 11:19 a.m.

Nice!  What's next up on your to-do list?

I've been meaning to weigh the bare body shell.  I would guess it's around 200 lb, but I'm not sure.  You done that?

ivanhoew
ivanhoew New Reader
12/15/23 3:18 p.m.

bernard its ok ,!  im here !! you can carry on now  .  :)

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/15/23 6:21 p.m.

In reply to ivanhoew :

YES! 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/15/23 6:23 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Not even going to pretend I'm playing it cool. 

I'M STOKED! 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/15/23 6:35 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I received this photo from Dan, my local automotive plumbing genius. It arrived at his shop safe and sound, just a short while ago. 

I'll sit down with him on Sunday, to talk scope. My take is that he can do in one week what would take me months. 

No idea about bare, but with a bunch of the old carpet and sound absorptive material, glass, doors, . . . essentially a complete shell, more like 650-700, I'm guessing. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/15/23 6:38 p.m.

Oh, that's exciting!!!!

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/16/23 8:01 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Oh, that's exciting!!!!

It is for me as well. It's the closest I've come to having my dream car. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/21/23 11:10 a.m.

Yesterday was a stressful work day, so I took this out, to have a look at. Because this makes me happy.

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
12/21/23 11:14 a.m.

Wow, looks very nice. Self-made?

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/21/23 12:33 p.m.

In reply to ViperT4 :

Thanks. Yes. Used the original as a template, but flipped it and averaged the lines for better symmetry. The panel catch securing the glovebox door is polished S/S and from a DC3 I pulled all kinds of fun stuff out of. What looks like rivets are countersunk S/S Allen head screws. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
12/21/23 12:50 p.m.

The dash looks like the Peter Wheeler surface esthetic applied  to the Martin Lilley/Trevor Wilkerson body shell. Bravo!  Better symmetry does seem a little over the top though.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/21/23 4:04 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Haha! Thanks! I thought that over the top was where it's at, but I promise not to do it again (at least until the next dashboard -I have a Jaguar 3.4S worth of gorgeous Jaeger gauges). 

ivanhoew
ivanhoew New Reader
12/22/23 3:57 a.m.

dashtastic , it looks great !

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
12/22/23 11:31 a.m.

In reply to ivanhoew :

Haha! --Thanks Robert. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
1/7/24 3:53 a.m.

Progress report . 

If you prefer, it could be the state of the -AN union address. 

I found/ordered a very compact 1qt coolant header tank and we earmarked a spot for it on the firewall. That should be it for the cooling system (V1, at least).

Virtually all of the engine compartment termination points have -AN fittings attached, the fuel pressure regulator has a home, as does the external oil pressure relief valve. 

New fuel tank and oil coolers are on their way, the fuel surge tank arrived last week, and so did the new fuel cap. Well, new to me, but used for some time on a Cessna. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
1/7/24 3:58 a.m.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
1/8/24 4:59 p.m.

Header tank 

Spring oilers 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
1/14/24 8:14 p.m.

Space planning worked out nicely. New 15gal. aluminum fuel tank fits perfectly, with enough space alongside, to mount the fuel pumps, surge tank, filters, hoses, fittings, . . . 

Removed the dry sump pump again, to turn it 180°, in the mounting bracket. (In/Out turned in opposite directions.) 

I was really happy about not adding triangulation in the front part of the frame. I was able to rotate the pump out of the hole. Serviceable is a word I like. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
1/28/24 1:35 p.m.

Still dealing with oil pump issues. 

On the opposite end of the car, things are progressing.  

Just laid in place. 

I think we're in really good shape. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
2/1/24 2:33 a.m.

Good conversation with Leo from Barnes about options and decided on the TRD style bracket and I'll cut new ones for the engine side. That'll reconfigure the in/out locations and keep the driveshaft more or less on its current centerline.  current: 

He said that it came from some NASCAR team. That they each had special wishes on pump configurations. This one was made without an internal pressure relief valve, so we are using an external one. Apparently, this would have been used on a Chevy.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/24 12:50 p.m.

Here I thought the boards glued into place over the fuel cell on my car were crappy owner-additions.

Is there a factory part number stamped on yours?  Maybe Grays is making reproductions...

What's the flanged-fitting behind the license plate area? 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
2/2/24 2:29 p.m.

My personal view on Andrew is that his mom forgot to flush. 

Yeah, those two toothpicks must have done a lot for crash safety. You know, because spruce/pine/fir are decent in compression. Cough cough (bullE36 M3) cough cough. 

I may have mentioned somewhere that this car was John Wadman's demonstrator, when he first began selling TVRs. It suffered from fumes entering the cabin. Can't remember if fuel or exhaust, but that flange was connected to a fan that extracted air from the cabin, and vented it out behind a slightly angled license plate. You can only imagine how many speeding tickets that's helped to avoid. And also, how many TVRs it helped to sell! 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ucMLFzujy4irjH4Kz5hAJ6HARbARrZX8ec5kwvbD613H8Y5HhMy05BiJUNbjUzzT