1 2
Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
10/12/23 7:35 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

Solid! The GT40p stuff works well when you put a non-explorer cam to it. I liked the set up on my fox mustang

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/29/24 1:00 p.m.

Pretty much from dyno day onward, BHJ has been itching for more HP. I have received links to intakes for sale, heads, turbo kits, etc. Interspersed with these links and discussions, I also noted an increased frequency of transmission concerns..... I advised a proactive path forward with his limited funds, to get ahead of the AOD before it turned DOA.

A manual would free up some HP, reduce overall weight, and provide a more engaging experience. Obviously a win-win-win.

Parts have been collected to supplement the ones I already had on my shelves, and BHJ got started by swapping the pedals first

Last night we got the AOD on the floor. After a fresh rear main seal goes in, the T5 will follow.

gumby
5/5/24 7:14 a.m.

BHJ and Freebird survived a Novice AutoX School yesterday.

The springs are too soft, tires too narrow, it weighs too much and needs more gear.

AutoXing terrible cars is way more enjoyable than being SRSBZNS

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/24 8:56 p.m.

Hurray for Freebird and BHJ!

gumby
9/23/24 9:34 a.m.

Freebird was mostly trouble free, for most of the summer. A few tweaks here and there, with the largest concern being the erosion of tread from the rear tires at an accelerated rate.
While changing those, we noticed an axle seal leak and discussed a gear change "while we're in there," and such a decision's potential effect on future tire life. Unfortunately, about a week after new tire installation, the engine munched a rod bearing.

Enter another free car:

A long time friend in the FoxThunderCat community has been sitting on this project for several years and BHJ's need pushed it "off the pot." It has an Explorer 5.0/T5 combo with HO Mustang camshaft.
The owner drug it over from OH for us, while in town for work. He and I sifted thru the trunk and backseat full of related parts, some he wanted to keep, some only had dibs placed if he needs them before I find use for them, and many will accompany the rust-free shell when I take it to another FoxThunderCat friend who is more Cougar-centric than I am.

The plan is for BHJ and I to pull the drivetrain, swap the TrickFlow cam from his engine into this one, add some new valve springs, and have Freebird back in service before Prom.

gumby
10/10/24 5:25 p.m.

BHJ is on fall break, and decided he wanted the nicer xr7 seats for his own. He pulled them, and the carpet, from the Cougar, cleaned everything, applied some dye to faded edges, then installed everything into Freebird.

We also removed the engine from the Cougar, put it on a stand and stripped it for the cam/valve spring swap.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/10/24 10:13 p.m.

I liked that body much better than the previous. Actually, a bit better than the next... except the SuperCharged 'bird would be worth the less attractive body!

I wanted an 88, with the 5.0, but with the turbo coupe hood, back then. 

Missed this thread last year; glad to find it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oCXWM14jwp4XIT4GFtmgnVNa1lKfqyHjN7bAPuMM1NzWZOq8e6Vw0SoJmJihwTmO