1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 159
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/16/15 7:34 a.m.

I have an autometer 200 mph cable driven speedo im never going to use....

And a box of misc gauges. Ill sit them with the other stuff I still ain't brought you. ...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
6/16/15 8:12 a.m.

Also, you might do well to start a separate forum thread, "Send me your tired, your poor, your huddled gauges yearning to breathe free" or something like that.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/16/15 8:14 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Also, you might do well to start a separate forum thread, "Send me your tired, your poor, your huddled gauges yearning to breathe free" or something like that.

Good idea!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/gauges-for-the-tunatruck/102760/page1/

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
6/16/15 9:09 a.m.

Duster, I'll be in Charlotte on friday. Any chance you could hand me the stuff while I'm there and I can hand them to Tuna?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/16/15 9:11 a.m.

Dude!!!

That would be great.

Call me when you get a chance. 8282601254

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/16/15 9:21 a.m.

You guys rock

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
6/16/15 9:21 a.m.

got your number i'll call you around 11:30.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/20/15 2:12 p.m.

Tunakid #2 got his welding lesson today:

Untitled

Untitled

He had a little trouble backing off from the work, but it went well.

Tunakid #1 did a little too to remind himself that he was first.

We thought I was going to have them tack on the swaybar brackets in their new homes (I cut them off) but I am still having interference with the steering gear.

I am nearly there. Again.

Too low can't fit under the balljoint

Untitled

And too far up can't clear the top

Untitled

But I can sort of get it there by moving it back and being really creative with the bracket.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/23/15 10:26 a.m.

These swaybar brackets are driving me bonkers. I did up some faux endlinks with allthread to mock it up.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

With full steering lock, the top bushing gets really snuggly with the bumpstop. I can grind on the knuckle a good bit to get some more clearance, but the bracket to mount this thing on the lower control arm is going to look wonky.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/15 11:55 a.m.

Can you flip the bar upside down and run the links under the arms? Might have to shorten them up a bit. Forgive me if you tried that already, I haven't kept up with this thread all the way.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/23/15 12:08 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Can you flip the bar upside down and run the links under the arms? Might have to shorten them up a bit. Forgive me if you tried that already, I haven't kept up with this thread all the way.

No worries, and yeah, I tried that exact thing. Actually, right now the bar is upside down I think, compared to where it is in a 1996 Suburban, the donor. When it's the other way the steering linkage hits the bar in a big way.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/23/15 12:44 p.m.

I realize it will increase the spring rate but what if you cut the end off and did something like this:

Should buy you a little distance from the other parts that want to occupy the same dimensional space.

The car I stole the idea from is kind of kool: Guy cut an MGB down the middle and widens it by 11". http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698

The bar in the picture is home-made. Maybe steel some ideas and re-shape yours?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/23/15 10:13 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

There is not enough room between the bar and the arm as it sits now. Raising the bar hits the steering linkage. If I go above the linkage, as in that picture, I hit the idler arm and pitman arm, two things the MGB doesn't have to contend with.

It made me stare for a long time, though. It's a neat idea.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/24/15 1:01 a.m.

Seems it might be best to just go with a different bar, this one seem to really not like you. Or get out the smoke wrench and bend it. Or maybe cut a couple inches out of the center and weld it back together with a sleeve.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/30/15 9:53 p.m.

I brought in the big guns today.

Untitled

That's neighbor Jim. He's not really into cars, but he's a machinist, and has a lathe and a Bridgeport mill in his basement. He's awesome at solving problems.

I showed him some of my bad ideas, he went over a few of his own bad ideas. We discussed cutting and rewelding the bar, cutting and drilling a hole in the new end of the bar, drilling and sleeving the bar, and a few other wackier ideas.

Eventually, he said "why don't you just get a spherical washer".

So he's awesome. Next week, I'll spend the $10 and throw it together again.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
8/9/15 6:26 p.m.

Tuna, I'm going into withdrawal. Anything new on this??

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/11/15 6:58 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Tuna, I'm going into withdrawal. Anything new on this??

The new thing is that I put a ton of time into the Accord (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2015-challenge-entry-88-accord-lxi/100071/page20/) and a good bit of money into my air conditioning.

It isn't forgotten. The Accord has to be 100% next week, and I have to cut up the second A/C unit and get it to the scrapyard.

Truly sorry for the lack of updates.

I can update you on neighbor Jim, though. Six bypasses later he's in rehab while he remembers that there are vegetables which also should be in his diet somewhere. I went to see him this past weekend.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/21/15 12:33 p.m.

Cough...Cough..

Getting a bit dusty around here!

Don't make me bump this thread!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/15 12:50 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I'm digging out of a big hole. I'll probably start piddling with little stuff that's free-or-close now that Catywampus is "done", but don't expect anything big for a bit.

It's totally killing me.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/21/15 1:13 p.m.

Hey, I'm ready for another barn-raiser. I pay good money for movies that are not half as entertaining as your build!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
10/21/15 1:24 p.m.

BTW, Tuna- a co-worker of mine has a 100k mile 350 Vortec he's probably going to be getting rid of, in the process of installing a 12V cummins into his truck. If you're still looking for something more entertaining to swap into your vehicle, I can pursue and see how cheap he's willing to sell it.

It's currently in front of a 4L80E, so that's not much good to you, but I believe he'll sell them separately.

If you don't buy it, it may end up in Katie's Camaro.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/15 1:31 p.m.

Put it in the Camaro.

Honestly, I have $0 right now to spend. I have to get out of the hole first. I can play a little with the gauges, and fiddle with some other things, like some finish body work, but I'm pretty far off from spending real money, and everything left requires real money.

Paint Engine Interior

The engine may just get examined, and repainted. At this point I can't see spending anything on it. It runs, and I have lots more to spend money on.

I tell Tunawife often, at the current rate of spending, it's going to take a year. If I had $10K, it would be done in a few weeks.

Tunakid #3 has OT weekly at $63 per visit!!! Add gymnastics, co-op, field trips, books, food (thrown on the floor mostly) and it's over. I still am overdue on the floors in two bathrooms and a big bed for Tunakid #4.

I haven't given up - no backwards steps have been taken. Catywampus and kids and A/C and furnaces has jumped on my paycheck.

Stay patient, folks!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/21/15 1:43 p.m.

Don't forget i have pbr calipers and coilovers for you. Truck is about fixed and ready for a massive shake down run...

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/21/15 1:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: and a big bed for Tunakid #4.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/15 2:02 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
tuna55 wrote: and a big bed for Tunakid #4.

she would likely not appreciate it. Nor would Tunawife.

Actually, nor would any of you! You'd all be pissed that I cut the truck into pieces to make a bed.

Sure looks cool though.

1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NS7Wk9PdN3X4P6vSX2YGiihTmD7oA8bJzpTGcgqM5YOC7abnqOP6vW1b6OvddTnw