1 2 3 4
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/25/24 1:58 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

Looks great. Hope you get a quick sale. 

Thanks!

I put it out at the end of my driveway Friday night.  It's Sunday at 1:30 pm and I already have a hand-shake deal on it.  Verbal sale for $6,000.  I'll circle back later and total my expenses, then let you guys know exactly what I profited.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/25/24 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Booyah!  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/25/24 3:34 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks.  I was 100% up front with the buyer about the deer hit 🦌, damage, and rebuilt title status.  I went out of my way to show him the before pictures etc.  He's looking for a car for his daughter who turns 16 next month.  ( He commented that the color match looked really good 👍)

Asked how I would prefer to be paid, so I answered cash and he's going to get it ready and pick it up later this week.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/25/24 7:40 p.m.

SOLD!

He came and took delivery.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/25/24 7:54 p.m.

Wow, the dude came up with $6k on a Sunday.  Banks closed so that likely means he had 6 large at home in his sock drawer!  

Lots of $20s.  Its good to be a gangster!   devil

Blunder
Blunder Reader
8/25/24 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Nice! Does your state have any limits on the number of cars you can buy and sell without a dealer license? In Ohio I believe it's six. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/25/24 8:10 p.m.

1. You did a nice job - car looks great!

2. I see your son in the pictures - the lessons he is learning will be with him for his entire life.  I like seeing youngsters learning these skills.  Kudos to you.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/25/24 8:29 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Wow, the dude came up with $6k on a Sunday.  Banks closed so that likely means he had 6 large at home in his sock drawer!  

Lots of $20s.  Its good to be a gangster!   devil

Nope, not a gangster.  He does banking with a well known Internet bank.  Made a few phone calls, had withdrawal limits temporarily increased and hit a few ATM's.

He was VERY appreciative and thanked me many times, so he was just as eager to close the deal as I was.  We both feel as though we did well on this transaction.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/25/24 8:30 p.m.
Blunder said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Nice! Does your state have any limits on the number of cars you can buy and sell without a dealer license? In Ohio I believe it's six. 

Indiana you are allowed 11 cars per year.  12 requires a dealer license.

Edited to add: the specific language states you are not allowed to sell OR advertise to sell more than 11.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/25/24 8:34 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

1. You did a nice job - car looks great!

2. I see your son in the pictures - the lessons he is learning will be with him for his entire life.  I like seeing youngsters learning these skills.  Kudos to you.

1. Thanks.

2. Yes, my #2 son helped me out with this one a lot. (he has a Mustang from the auction house that we rebuilt in a similar way to this Malibu).  My #3 son helps me out with my Prius specific side hustle/business.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/25/24 8:36 p.m.

Excellent! Congrats!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/25/24 9:55 p.m.

I wasn't really calling him a gangster just that weathered $20s and rubber bands are a stereotype.   

Tell me more about pulling $6k out of an ATM on a Sunday.  I don't think I have this capability!  

What's next?  Buy another wreck or work on a wreck you already own?  

Ohio is 5...but The IAA in Ohio only allows a non-dealer to buy 5 cars in a calander year (since I guess they assume you are going to sell the cars since you are buying them wholesale.)  I have personally hit that buying limit in years past.  However, nothing stopping you from buying cars via other retail or private party means in that same year.

Also note that selling more than 5 cars a year in Ohio doesn't make you a dealer.  I still failed to meet the state dealer requirements.  I once owned 10 cars at the same time.  There is noting stopping me from selling off more than 5 of those cars via non-wholesale means.  Not every state allows non-dealers to buy salvage cars but Ohio and Indiana does (and likely many more state, but not all state.)  So, I think it more clear to say that Ohio limits you to 5 wholesale purchases (and maybe 5 wholesale sales) per year but nothing restricts you from more than 5 private party sales or 5 retail purchases.     

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/26/24 10:38 a.m.

That means I came out $2,908.37 in the positive on this transaction.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/26/24 10:52 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I wasn't really calling him a gangster just that weathered $20s and rubber bands are a stereotype.   

Tell me more about pulling $6k out of an ATM on a Sunday.  I don't think I have this capability!  

USAA bank.

What's next?  Buy another wreck or work on a wreck you already own?  

Engine Swap on a 2012 Toyota Prius V.  It's a Fix-n-Flip too, but I bought it private party needing work.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/24 12:30 p.m.

Oh yeah, Prius V.  The tricky part there will be to find a good price on an engine.  You might be better off buying a highly wrecked plain Gen3 Prius.  That way you'll get a Gen3 battery and salvageable cat.  

Those 1.8L Prius engines aren't stupid cheap like the 1.5L Prius engines.  But, a running Prius V is worth a lot so the investment is worth it. 

Good luck!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/24 12:39 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Any guess on how many man-hours you can assign to the project?  I'm not talking "no progress, sitting in the yard" hours but real "spare time" hours dedicated to the job.  

At 29 hrs = $100 per hour.  78 hrs = $50 per hour

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/24 1:01 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Indy - Guy said:

Any guess on how many man-hours you can assign to the project?  I'm not talking "no progress, sitting in the yard" hours but real "spare time" hours dedicated to the job.  

At 29 hrs = $100 per hour.  78 hrs = $50 per hour

I disagree until you change 78 to 58

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/24 1:23 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, my brain is not always attached to my typing fingers (or thumbs in this case.)

Blunder
Blunder Reader
8/26/24 7:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good to know. Thanks for the info. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/26/24 7:44 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh asking about total time :

Of course I didn't punch a clock or fill out a time card, so below is just a rough estimate:

• 1.5 hours to retrieve and tow it home.
  • Two FULL Saturdays working on it. I'm going to estimate 12 hours each Saturday, because that's Literally the only thing I accomplished both of those days. (12 hours x2 = 24)
  • Two other weeknights if about 4 hours each (4x2=8)
  • 3 hours for paperwork prep/ tow to & from inspection.
  • 1.5 hours washing it and cleaning interior.
  • 1 hour replacing the valve solenoid.

So what's that add up to? 39 to 40 hours?

Note, I didn't include any time shopping for, or ordering/ buying the parts.  Plus I didn't include the NUMEROUS hours this thing lived Rent Free in my brain pondering it while life got too busy to actually get some work done on it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rSvfs4BajDigsCBaa7fkHpwV7MObXByEgcVpJJnc58JbqEfV2ThFLAkF4r25HjO9