1 2 3 4
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/23/23 2:49 p.m.

It would appear that I never learn. The next project after the Healey leaves is this 68 MGB that needs a bit of rust remediation. Just doing the shell rehab on this one.

Follow along if you like this sort of thing and ask for details if it helps your project or a similar effort.

Pete

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/23 3:01 p.m.

That looks like half a challenge indeed. Following along.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/23/23 3:22 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

And I thought I'd be challenged by this rocker rust........

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
11/23/23 5:14 p.m.

Oh my.  It might be better to ask what parts are *not* rusted. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/23/23 5:19 p.m.

I have done about 10 of these so far so not a lot new to deal with. It does need two door-skins and a rear chassis rail repair, and those kind of suck.

The basic sills, floors and associated lower body panel repairs takes about 100 hours of time.

Hope to get started by middle of next week.

Pete

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/23 5:57 p.m.

I still have the top hardware (the kind that comes apart) from one of mine if you want it. Also an ashtray maybe. Somewhere..

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/23/23 6:09 p.m.

Stan:  Thanks for the offer. Since the car is not mine, I am not sure of what might be missing. Pretty sure I will remain involved with the build even after it leaves because I always seem to adopt the owners. I will enquire.

Pete

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/23 12:27 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Please explain the historical significance of this car before I suggest crushing everything I see in the photo, including the pallet. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/23 1:06 p.m.

Always fun and educational watching you do this stuff.

And I have an MGB which has old-MGB issues. Pertinent, I'd call this.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/24/23 2:09 p.m.

In reply to ish_da :

I did a fair bit of sill work on the P1800ES in case you have not seen that build thread. Even made an outer  sill for the PS.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/24/23 2:16 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Please explain the historical significance of this car before I suggest crushing everything I see in the photo, including the pallet. 

It seems to have historical significance way back to 3100 BC

3100 BC

The earliest clear chemical evidence of beer produced from barley dates to about 3500–3100 BC, from the site of Godin Tepe in the Zagros Mountains of western Iran. It is possible, but not proven, that it dates back even further – to about 10,000 BC, when cereal was first farmed.

It seems that my shop ( or at least my friends)  runs on the stuff and the Ontario Government has the audacity to charge $65 for a case of 24. 

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
11/24/23 5:08 p.m.

I was wonder if a BMH "heritage shell" might be the easiest way from Point A to Point B.  Are those still sold in North America?
Many (30?) years ago, Moss Motors (or was it Victoria British?) imported a bunch, then decided they weren't worth the hassle and closed them out cheaply. They were under $4K at the time of the closeout if I remember correctly. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/24/23 6:56 p.m.

In reply to flat4_5spd :

Wumanzs make babies and Men make cars. Neither makes much sense financially, and yet here we are. I make rust go away, if you need financial advise, I assure you I am the wrong person to converse with!

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
11/24/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I have complete respect for that attitude and your restoration abilities. I reshelled a rusty rubber bumper B with a used shell from Texas, so I'm not really in the position to criticize doing things the not economically viable / hard way on a car that's not that rare. Looking forward to seeing your work on the B!  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/24/23 10:54 p.m.

The paying customer is always doing the right thing repairing whatever, so long as they keep paying. I do raise my rates on a sliding scale based on the foolishness proposed. I would do a B at my mid-price point.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
11/25/23 12:32 a.m.

NOHOME  Said: "Site of Godin Tepe in the Zagros Mountains of western Iran. It is possible, but not proven, that it dates back even further – to about 10,000 BC, when cereal was first farmed."

Wonder which one..   lol

I will read this about this repair. :0)

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/26/23 3:31 p.m.

Stay warm .....

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/26/23 3:35 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I have done about 10 of these so far so not a lot new to deal with. It does need two door-skins and a rear chassis rail repair, and those kind of suck.

The basic sills, floors and associated lower body panel repairs takes about 100 hours of time.

Hope to get started by middle of next week.

Pete

Getting ready to do the metalwork on my 64 mini- door skins are on the list- do you use any special skinning tool like the Astro pneumatic or hammer and dolly?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/26/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Previously, I have not.  I actually just made a door skin hammer using an old leaf spring and a piece of metal barstock and then hammer and dolly work.   Yeah, it did leave some filler work to be done at the edge of the door, but so be it.

But I have sure looked at and considered such tools. Needing to do both doors this time, and respecting my tool addiction, I might just go ahead and buy something.

Word on the street is that the blasted and epoxied remains arrive tomorrow at some point. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/28/23 7:34 a.m.

If you were closer to PA, I have a 1971 MGB rolling shell that was a rotisserie restoration when I got it. It's the absolute best MGB shell that I've ever had. 

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/what-to-do-with-recent-purchase.4461086/

https://www.photobucket.com/u/w650gb500/a/21286a18-98ca-4828-8858-4abf6a6c4cdb?scrollTo=055c58d4-91d4-48c7-9be3-361b41b1517a

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/28/23 6:41 p.m.

Just a picture dump to kick off the build. 

The blaster did a decent job of getting the brown off the body. There are a few lacy areas that popped up but nothing game stopping.

Day one was getting the doors back on and latching with the gaps I want when the car is done.  The door skins were not blasted because they will be getting replaced with new ones.

Some of the carbunkles discovered

The sills and floors are DOA and will be replaced in their entirety. It is much easier to replace the entire sill assembly rather than pick apart the separate panels and do a repair.

Today was mostly a "Get aquainted with the patient" day. Start on the DS sill tomorrow.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/23 7:19 p.m.

The first image was deceptively horrible, I couldn't understand how it made sense to save it. Looks much better now.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/28/23 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

You are still correct in your assessment. There is no rational reason for restoring rusty cars.  Thing is, I don't seem to get interested in a project until unless it is on life support. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
11/28/23 10:30 p.m.

IMO, it turned out better than what I was expecting. I was thinking Swiss Cheese when I saw the first picture of the MGB. You must have been anticipating the floors were going to be replaced due to the fact that you left the sound deadener in place.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/29/23 5:49 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I often rationalize it to myself by saying "if I didn't take on this project it would have gone to the crusher" at which point anything you do to keep the vehicle going is an improvement. 

Your shell doesn't look to bad, I'm watching with interest. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OFdmU2Ad6PIiFShA1HhdfHBqjninoQdZDJgEKqS66fLze3Gby48C6rNmnpI4tixm