1 2 3 4
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/13/24 6:03 p.m.

The wheeltub is fixed and coated in POR. Can proceed to fitting the partial quarter panel skin once the paint dries. 

While waiting for the paint to dry, I started on the DS frame rail repair. But you have all seen that show so I wont bother to show it again.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
2/13/24 10:24 p.m.

Thank you for answering my question. I have watch too many videos on it (acid dip) and thought I would ask someone that has blasting done all the time.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/14/24 9:20 p.m.

And today's portion of patience was  allocated to carving the quarter panel repair section and the original quarter panel to fit up for a nice long butt-weld.

If all goes well tomorrow this will be one piece and I can cross another item off the task list.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/16/24 8:16 p.m.

And the panel is welded in place. This is one of my least favourite jobs to do. 

I have started the noisy task of grinding down the seam weld. The tape keeps me honest should I start to grind into metal either side of the weld.  My next day or so will be finish the grinding and metal finish as close as possible. Not going to be a filler- free repair, but close.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/18/24 7:13 p.m.

I don't know if any of y'all recall a Bugeye Sprite that I documented on this forum. I cant find the thread but it required a LOT of work and panel replacement. This one might actually go that far if not further.

One of the  3 or 4 Petes that loiters in the shop made another big hole in the back. I mean, basically found a panel that has not been cut out, so why not? 

I  myself peeled off a door-skin

Sandblasted and POR coated. 

Next will be back to grinding the weld seam on the quarter.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/26/24 6:38 p.m.

And made even more air!

Even having done this once before, it is kind of intimidating knowing you need the cut the new part within about 1/16" to splice back together.

It is a bit easier working with the trunk-pan removed.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/4/24 7:36 p.m.

A presto-shazzam, the trunk is done!

I wish! The hard part  ( both shackle mount) is done and I am happy with how it came out.  The remainder is pretty straightforward plug-welding of the sheet-metal panels that make up the trunk floor.

Word to the wise: If you are looking at an MGB as a potential purchase, take a good hard look at the rear shackles where they attach to the frame. If you see any rust damage, walk away.  I wont ever be doing this job again.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/28/24 5:43 p.m.

Been a minute or so since I posted an update on this one. 

NEVER AGAIN!

Pete

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/28/24 5:49 p.m.

That looks like a TON of work.  Looking good though!  You'll forget the "never again" after it's done and pretty.  :-D

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/28/24 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

My work ends pretty much at this stage. I have one bit of front fender fitting to do and then it goes away for someone else to finish. I can then move on to the next thing.laugh

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EaUkQZUUL0Ce4Fd9qMmYY4H5I1v6VHqIG4hyo7Ts4rbqWLk6kcyrmy50oFmbqDV0