1 ... 5 6 7
Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/24 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Jehannum :

Sorry for the delay. Here's most of what I've got as far as AAN specific parts go. I've also got a spare stock turbo, crank damper, exhaust manifold (with wastegate), and a set of rear calipers that could probably stand to be rebuilt. Nothing too exotic or exciting, unfortunately 

Jehannum
Jehannum New Reader
9/11/24 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Turbine :

Sweet, let me know what you'd take to stuff it all in a box and ship it to me.

Turbine
9/16/24 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Jehannum :

Sounds good! I need to do some reorganizing in the garage so I can make sure I've got everything, but I'll work on getting you that info in the next week or so.

Turbine
9/16/24 9:29 a.m.

Got some time to track down my hydraulic leak this weekend. Started by removing the pump, tearing it down, and rebuilding it with new seals and some x plugs I scavenged from a junk AAN pump I had on the bench. Put it back in the car, started it up, and found that it leaked just as bad as before.

Running low on patience and hydraulic fluid (CHF11S costs almost $50/Liter at the FLAPS!) I started looking for other possibilities. Pretty quickly realized that I'd made a mistake when doing my vacuum brake conversion. The 3B pump is a piston pump for both the brake and steering stages, as opposed to the AAN pump, which is piston for the brakes and vane for the steering. I'd removed the pistons from the 9 and 3 positions of the pump, which I now know drive the steering. The brake stage, now capped off, was still attempting to pressurize and blowing out the o-ring.
Thankfully, I still had the pistons in a bag on the bench, so after pulling the pump again, I reinstalled these and removed the pistons from the brake stage (at the 12 and 6 position).

Just some pics for reference in case anyone else needs to do this in the future, sourced from this thread on QW.

So now the car runs without soaking itself and my garage, but we're not out of the woods yet. The car starts, runs for 30 seconds, then starts to sputter and die. I can keep it running using the throttle, but it won't stay running by itself. Haven't had a chance to dig into this too much yet beyond running codes, which returned nothing. Next step is a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks maybe?

Jehannum
Jehannum New Reader
9/16/24 5:32 p.m.

FWIW, my AAN pump is running on Redline power steering fluid, and has been for around 100k miles.  It's a lot cheaper than CHF11S. 

In fact, I bought some CHF11S after my suction pipe developed a leak, and now it (the Pentosin) is in my Quickjack reservoir.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w5bqDreSsrzvIvfCaP8LYRwZbOqiozgJwwX6od6XFYxXPGtpWKgC1vshQ4GMJLoZ