1 2 3 ... 6
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/23/23 4:23 p.m.

So it seems like the BDT is claiming another victim. Lets see if I can live up to the legacy. 

I have been planning to swap a 2010 panther frame under a 1994 Crown vic I bought on my way out of Gainesville last fall. It had a 4v 4.6 and a manual swap but drove like trash and the interior is rotting. That would have been cool. However, I also have a MUCH nicer 1996 Town Car that I would like to build in a drag and drive style. So then I would have two huge modern Fords with similar drivetrains. That makes no sense. But then what do I do with this chassis that is sitting in the shop. 

Then I remember that Nocones and I had talked about a 1981 Starlet that I have had for a decade with no plans. Now, I COULD use a purpose built track car. The BDT provided ample motivation and Nocones made these renderings which pretty much made this a thing that is going to happen. 

Anyone remember the DTM Mercedes from the late 90s early 00s? 

2000 - 2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM - Images, Specifications and Information

That is the look. The firewall area and floor height will be a challenge but it should be doable. 

I can cut as much frame as I need here. The option to Z the chassis (like the X71 Challenge car that Gumby and Bob did a couple years ago) to lower the frame height and keep decent suspension angle up front is under consideration. 

Here is the Starlet, She is gross. I need to clean the trash and scrap out of it and get to cutting. Stay tuned. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/23 4:34 p.m.

Subscribed 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/23 4:43 p.m.

This excites me.  Hopefully it works as displayed.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/23/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Well, you need to a add a massive hood cowl for engine clearance. I am worried about the windshield clearance though. I would love to keep all the glass. 

Thank you for the rendering, btw. These definitely make this seems real. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/23 4:50 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Subscribed 

Also

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/23 5:04 p.m.

10 lbs of E36 M3 in a 5 lb bag.

I LOVE it!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/23/23 6:08 p.m.

I'm in

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/23/23 6:19 p.m.
singleslammer said:

So then I would have two huge modern Fords with similar drivetrains. That makes no sense.

I just came to point out that NOBODY is trying to make any sense out of what you've got going on with your fleet of projects right now.

And also to say...I fully support and will help with this nonsense. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
2/23/23 6:20 p.m.

Go On Continue GIF - Go On Continue Please Continue GIFs

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/23/23 6:41 p.m.
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
2/23/23 7:55 p.m.

That's actually a kp61 Starlet.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/23 8:05 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:

Not when it has a P71 Crown Victoria shoved under it.  cheeky

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/23/23 8:23 p.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

I know and had a moment of doubt of the name but the name was too damn good. Also the 71 Starlets are fwd and never came to the US so eh, whatever. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/23/23 8:27 p.m.

Some progress in extracting the Starlet from the ground it sunk into. This allowed me to check some dimensions. 

Here is the interior width measurement of the panther frame. 

And here is the pinch weld of the doors in the Starlet. The Starlet is going to fit inside the frame rails like it's meant to. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/23/23 8:29 p.m.

The rockers are shot, along with most of the floor so cutting all that off isn't really a problem. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/23/23 10:08 p.m.

I would like to take a moment to salute the complete GRMness of this sentence: "The Starlet is going to fit inside the [P71] frame rails like it's meant to."

We're certainly not in any kind of same-old, same-old rut around here.

Please carry on.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/23/23 10:47 p.m.

This'll be fun! 

And you can have the tommy boy moniker if you want. Way more fitting on this than mine!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/24/23 12:09 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'm sorry, I didn't know! I am not as caught up on my build threads as I should be. There is plenty of Chris to share. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/24/23 5:52 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Its no worries at all! I think the starlet p71 hybrid is awesome and way more appropriate. Especially with the box flares

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
2/24/23 8:02 a.m.
nocones said:
jimbob_racing said:

Not when it has a P71 Crown Victoria shoved under it.  cheeky

Wow. No idea how I missed that.

Feel free to call me Captain Obvious. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/24/23 10:20 a.m.

Forgot that I didn't post a full photo of the Starlet. It is rough. There is about 30% of the floor gone, doors and wheel wells are rusty. This is the best thing for it. Also, you can see a lurking Jaguar, future car port verticals, and some solar panels.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/24/23 10:26 a.m.

So this body line may end up being the cut line. It will be almost that high just to clear the chassis rails/side pods. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/24/23 10:30 a.m.

This is awesome! Maybe I missed it, but what's the plan for the 94 now? Is the manual 4v drivetrain going to find its way into this eventually? 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/24/23 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Turbine :

That is all undecided. I think that eventually this will get a manual but likely post challenge. The 4v and manual might find their way into my town car though. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/23 8:58 a.m.

I have a confession to make. 

I kept looking at this, and in my head thinking "But that's a KP 61 Starlet. Maybe I should mention that.", but something kept me from doing so...then it hit me. P71+KP61=KP71. Brilliant. Also, I'm an idiot.

Very pertinent thread likely known to all as some type of redemption:

Crown Vic+Mustang

Awesome project!

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0KeXS1vlEDu533fqdOkfPDCwC3aaySsU965DFqQxdtqJ99GGEgd6XEeFqZiYjSfG