1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 52
Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/17 12:47 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/lL-cCf4nRpQ?rel=0

took my 4 yr old around the neighborhood. naturally, the battery didnt cooperate. made for a funny video.

Go_Gators
10/9/17 11:57 a.m.

removing teh rubber and epoxy holding the rocker panel was not fun. 

Go_Gators
10/9/17 11:59 a.m.

got the KART on the scales this morning.

i am calling this a huge success, WRT weight. 2350lbs lacking pretty much only a roll cage. this is with ~1/3 tank of fuel and w/o driver weight. i think a target of 2500lbs with roll cage is reasonable.  no attempts to corner balance were made at this point (obviously).

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/9/17 12:04 p.m.

I love the video with your 4 year old! My oldest is about to turn 3 next month and I could imagine her reactions being about the same.

She's going to get me in trouble some day. She already exhorts me to go faster when we're stuck in traffic.

Awesome news on the weight!

Go_Gators
10/9/17 12:36 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5KH8WUotUv8

kids are a trip. esp what comes out of there mouth.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
10/9/17 2:02 p.m.

Wow!  Lighter than I guessed.   Schweet!!!!

Go_Gators
10/9/17 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

yea, i reckon, like they say, all the little stuff adds up. 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
10/9/17 4:46 p.m.

I'm following your build and enjoying it.  A number of years ago I (with help) built an aluminum tub, bolted C5 cradled to it, shortened the torque tube by 23 inches, kept the stock wheelbase, and made some Tbucket styled panels that I bolted to it. 

The car weighed 1650lbs and was the best handling car that I've ever driven. 

Your going to have a blast!  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/9/17 6:19 p.m.

Video was fun.

STALIZE
STALIZE New Reader
10/9/17 10:48 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Congrats on the low weight!  The only thing better than a lightweight car, is when there's still more to trim!

With that, do you see any places to cut?  What about the front and rear of the door jabs?  That front bulkhead, where the orig door hinges connected looks heavy.  Is it?

STALIZE
STALIZE New Reader
10/9/17 11:03 p.m.

In reply to STALIZE:

Btw, great video with your daughter.  I turned my phone so my wife could see it too.  Brought back memories.  My daughter is 10 now, and son is 8.  They still love going on rides in our Eliminator (Miata based).  I did my first one 6 yrs ago so my daughter was the same age.  It's still fun to answer their questions about what they're experiencing.

Go_Gators
10/10/17 6:02 a.m.
jmc14 said:

I'm following your build and enjoying it.  A number of years ago I (with help) built an aluminum tub, bolted C5 cradled to it, shortened the torque tube by 23 inches, kept the stock wheelbase, and made some Tbucket styled panels that I bolted to it. 

The car weighed 1650lbs and was the best handling car that I've ever driven. 

Your going to have a blast!  

thats a great idea!

Go_Gators
10/10/17 7:15 a.m.
STALIZE said:

In reply to NOHOME:

Congrats on the low weight!  The only thing better than a lightweight car, is when there's still more to trim!

With that, do you see any places to cut?  What about the front and rear of the door jabs?  That front bulkhead, where the orig door hinges connected looks heavy.  Is it?

there wont be alot of easy weight reductions from this point. A-pillar area is steel, with the actual windshield surround being cast aluminum. it aint lite, but it aint easily replacable either.

here is how the rocker and a-pillar look after i removed the epoxy and rattle canned it.

Go_Gators
10/10/17 3:49 p.m.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/17 3:58 p.m.

Awesome!

efahl
efahl New Reader
10/10/17 8:08 p.m.

Come on, dad, what part of "again" don't you understand?  Pull a wheelie!

STALIZE
STALIZE New Reader
10/11/17 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

Looks great!  Congrats!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/17 8:55 a.m.

I'll add another vote to bring this to the Challenge "even if" it is only to the Thursday night parking lot crawl. Go Roadkill style and duct tape two flashlights and you're good to go!

Go_Gators
10/11/17 9:08 a.m.

currently i plan to come down friday and check out the action - never been before. i wont be bringing the KART this year though. It just to busy of a weekend to add in those logistics. figuring on gainesville for friday challenge, amelia island on saturday for the centre st carshow (taking my C3) and then back to amelia island on sunday for SCCA solo in my ZHP.

but... regarding headlights... i received these in the mail yesterday and i am super impressed with the construction of them.

CREE mulitple function headlight

most likely i will mount them from the front frame, aligned with the radiator hold down brackets.

i also ordered side mirrors. So, shortly, i will consider myself fully street legal again.

STALIZE
STALIZE New Reader
10/11/17 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

Any plans to remove the seals and depower the steering rack?

Go_Gators
10/12/17 5:42 a.m.

In reply to STALIZE :

?? not sure i understand. i plan to keep power steering. i can certainly afford the power hit of running the pump to whip the wheel around with ease.

STALIZE
STALIZE New Reader
10/12/17 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

Not just the power drain, but the weight savings, removing complexity, and C5 PWS has always felt overly assisted to me.  I wasn't sure that now that the car is lighter if you had given thought to it.

On Miatas some guys will just loop the lines, and others will remove the seals, as outlined here:  https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php

Go_Gators
10/12/17 11:17 a.m.

In reply to STALIZE :

interesting. never heard of such an action. nah, i will take my PS! 315s or 335s up front wont turn themselves!

Go_Gators
10/13/17 5:43 a.m.

When we took the rolling pictures earlier this week we had go pro cameras running on the LS1-KART and the very clean white WRX (featured prominently, a few might even say the highlight).  Obviously, we weren't pushing it too hard. The video doesn't convey the seat of the pants feel at all. The audio is pretty good though. Video is several short clips shot from the LS1-KART and from the WRX.

LS1-KART rolling video clips

STALIZE
STALIZE New Reader
10/13/17 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

Would you mind taking a few perimeter pics?  I'm especially wondering what a rear 3/4 shot looks like.

Thanks!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DMzP9kVQrieELNay462KiyqdJvbXfPkjboxv37FZLO4xjJkNifLAFKy6SI082kgV