Good inventory. Don't make me regret selling it. 😉

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/24 9:02 p.m.

Looks like fun!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/28/24 2:53 p.m.

Latch the hard top onto a good chassis before you begin glass repair. It won't seem as bad, Do your external repairs first while it is attached to said chassis. Do not take the time to make them pretty, take it off and do the inside next. Big score, you can pay for 2 challenge cars from this pile.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/28/24 4:22 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks!

The hardtop repair will actually be the step 2 of the rebirth (step one being systems testing of the turbo car).

This top is BAD. But im sure it can be saved with proper application of tactics, time, and stubbornness. One of which i have in abundance!

Heres an example of what im up against.....

Ill be creating a separate thread for the repairs of it, and learning what i didn't know i needed to know sometime in the next week or two. Like i said, step 2. 

but i have dump trucks coming and bulldozers and such to move buildings and make retaining walls and move buildings and make level ground this week. So when all THAT is done, i can get to car stuff in earnest.

the next time yall see this area, it'll be radically different 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/28/24 9:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

but i have dump trucks coming and bulldozers and such to move buildings and make retaining walls and move buildings and make level ground this week. So when all THAT is done, i can get to car stuff in earnest.

the next time yall see this area, it'll be radically different 

heart

I dunno if that's a big enough heart emoji.  but I'm jazzed for you getting more use out of that space.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/28/24 9:14 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Same. It's going to be super nice. And more importantly, all actually on my property and with appropriate setbacks and such! Im excited to see how it all works out. We're going gravel and "temporary" structure for now to make sure we like it, then if we do we will do a slab and real outbuilding. 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/2/24 4:00 p.m.

cobbling from bins and buckets of freebies and leftovers. Free fiesta st intercooler someone gave me, couple bins of used universal intercooler piping and couplers i scired for free at the challenge a few years ago. 

And a 150.00 scratch and dent mishimoto radiator to replace the rotted out one thats in my green car being held together with stopleak.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/2/24 4:54 p.m.

Intercooler came from pat g!

And was free. 

Now, where'd the piping come from?

Dusterbd13-michael
6/3/24 7:58 a.m.

its hold water and power steering fluid,  and running reasonably ok. 

Smoke check. Oil change, suspension and brake check. Trst drive. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/3/24 8:19 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

TB

Had to be the year you didn't go to the challenge, and sent a 9" with me and I brought back a few things for you.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/3/24 8:32 a.m.
stafford1500 said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

TB

Had to be the year you didn't go to the challenge, and sent a 9" with me and I brought back a few things for you.

Thanks steve!!!

Challenge budget purpose. Ill reach out to him for a receipt 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/3/24 9:53 p.m.

Pulling valve cover. It starting making a random metallic noise from underneath. Doesn't change with engine speed, non rhythmic. My guess is something broke free in the accident, or was forced through the timing belt cover. Or, it IS the timing belt cover...

Either way, systems slowly coming online. Front suspension did not fare well. About an inch of toe out, but nothing obviously bent. So ill just reset toe after a thorough visual inspection. One hose split when cooling system started to build pressure, so that was fixed. Tune is a little wonky, but im absolutely certain the non recirculating bypass valve and vacuum leaks i haven't looked for are the causes. 

Slow and methodical is what i need to do, no matter how BADLY i want to take it for a rip up the street. Sooo close to taste testing turbo....

Dusterbd13-michael
6/4/24 7:08 a.m.

more diagnostic needed. Nothing visibily amiss.

also, 12 point head bolts stock?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/24 7:30 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Pulling valve cover. It starting making a random metallic noise from underneath. Doesn't change with engine speed, non rhythmic. My guess is something broke free in the accident, or was forced through the timing belt cover. Or, it IS the timing belt cover...

Either way, systems slowly coming online. Front suspension did not fare well. About an inch of toe out, but nothing obviously bent. So ill just reset toe after a thorough visual inspection. One hose split when cooling system started to build pressure, so that was fixed. Tune is a little wonky, but im absolutely certain the non recirculating bypass valve and vacuum leaks i haven't looked for are the causes. 

Slow and methodical is what i need to do, no matter how BADLY i want to take it for a rip up the street. Sooo close to taste testing turbo....

Exhaust manifold Crack or leak?  That could be non rhythmic and not engine speed related.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/4/24 7:39 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Haven't thought about that. I also had the thought this morning after inspecting under the valve cover that maybe it's something in the power steering or AC compressor that I hooked back up. Long shot would be maybe something in the charge piping bouncing around. Don't know yet but there was no Smoking Gun obvious under the valve cover. I think I'll fire it back up tonight and poke around with my stethoscope some more if I get the time

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/4/24 10:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Yes

Dusterbd13-michael
6/4/24 12:32 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks. Couldn't find arp markings, but was hopful!

Wonder if its worthwhile to change to studs if it stays....

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/4/24 12:44 p.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Yes

Existing, but possibly not stock. That's a (mildly) built motor. 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/5/24 7:59 p.m.

roadkill would try to drive it a thousand miles and do burnouts and drag passes like this. 

Its sketchy for test loop, but we'll see what happens!!

Dusterbd13-michael
6/6/24 7:42 p.m.

Sing to the tune of camptown lady

I just did some sketchy E36 M3

Dodah

And i got away with it

Im a lucky bastard 

This thing is properly quick. I also need to work on the wastegate. Its probably not tuned for 20+psi

Adding a vacuum line to the turbo mounted one dropped it to ~10psi, which is safe for now. 

Its Massively darty, has violent shakes, windshield flexes in at you, no real mufflers, and brakes have no bite.

I think an eyeball alignment will help as it has an inch or two of toe out, a set of matched and balanced and straight wheels and tires, duct tape x on the windshield and try it again. 

But im fairly sure that im going miata based. Thing is a berkeleying HOOT!

Dusterbd13-michael
6/7/24 8:30 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/24 9:19 a.m.

Well, you're really living up to the thread title. We think the story is over, but it is simply a new beginning. All we're missing is you sneaking out of the Cyclops's den under a large sheep. 

Stunning progress, as always.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/8/24 10:47 a.m.

Im trying to figure out what i can do as a large sheep metaphor now.

Thanks wheelsmithy!!

I have a truckload of wheel and tire stuff to take up the street monday. This cars next test run will be on k1s and rivals. 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/10/24 4:35 a.m.

Have the v6 swap and boss frog roll bar and black interior up on marketplace for sale. Listed them yesterday afternoon. 

I love teenagers that think they know everything.....

Obviously theres grm discount available, but i need recoup and seed money!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/10/24 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Dare I ask the price on these items?

1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 98

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6eRWJX7tToBCHBIiV5HFX8SSpGuShi6pXwjKSINDMEO4uHNnGma0PU34dA4F23W