1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Nukem
Nukem Reader
4/14/23 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Yeah, should be fun and good practice for the MG. I'll certainly document any learnings I have here.

I might borrow the Ford crank sensor for the Miata. Seems to be more cheap and available than the Miata sensors.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/23 2:54 p.m.

This is an extremely cool project but I sent you a PM because Mini tonneau cover...

Nukem
Nukem Reader
4/15/23 6:55 p.m.

Its rainy today so I'm inside thinking about MGB front suspension, of course.

I like the Hoyle front suspension setup. Looks like it uses a modified stock MGB crossmember, with tubular upper and lower control arms (retaining the stock kingpin and junk).

http://www.hoyle-suspension.co.uk/Pages/Front%20Coil-Over%20Suspension.html

I think I can DIY this.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
4/15/23 7:48 p.m.

Yeah, definitely.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
4/15/23 8:56 p.m.

Still a sketch, more or less. I think I want to sneak in some camber adjustment somewhere.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
7/28/23 9:57 a.m.

Finally got tires mounted:

And I've begun test fitting the Sebring bits (just clecoed on after a bit of trimming):

Rear fenders are going to need some work to fit the 275s, which I was expecting: 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
7/28/23 2:52 p.m.

This is going to be  great!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/28/23 3:23 p.m.

What size are those wheels and tires?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
7/28/23 5:33 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

R7s in 275/35/15 on Bassett 15x10 w/ 4.5" backspacing.

Fronts are 245/45/15 on 15x8s with the same backspacing.

I bought the tires as take-offs from a guy who races a vintage Porsche in SVRA

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
7/31/23 1:21 p.m.

This is looking sweet!  Can't wait to see how the roller looks 

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/23 7:02 p.m.
Nukem said:

Still a sketch, more or less. I think I want to sneak in some camber adjustment somewhere.

Mught want to look at opening up  the upper control arm kingpin mount, and use caster slugs for camber adjustment

AN example is Caster Dive Slug Set Billet Aluminum 1/2" Bolt Hole 0-7/16" 2 of Each Size | eBay

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/23 10:40 a.m.

Not sure how I missed this build. I have been daydreaming about another MGB for far too long. Carry on.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/10/23 9:48 p.m.

Some weld dressing and I finally have axle brackets

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/11/23 10:00 a.m.

I'm hoping to get the axle brackets tacked on this weekend, which leads me to: how do I pinion angle? I know I want the tail shaft of the transmission parallel to the pinion of the diff, but is that at ride height / at bump / in droop? 

From the suspension design I did in CAD I know I've got around 2 degrees of pinion angle change in either direction as the rear end goes through its full travel. I've also mathed things out to get close to 100% anti-squat (with tons of adjustability everywhere). Should I just set the pinion angle at ride height and not worry about bump / droop? Most of the reading I have done seems to completely ignore pinion angle change during the suspension travel, which makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
8/11/23 12:32 p.m.

I haven't set up a 4 link, so take this with a grain of sand. With leaf springs and a powerful motor its normal to give yourself an extra degree or two of downward angle on the pinion. This is so that when under full power when the car squats and the pinion rolls back a bit, the pinion angle will be close to perfect. If you have compliant bushings in the 4 link I would think the same would apply. If its fully constrained, and has 100% antisquat, then I don't know the answer. I would assume in this case you set it equal to the transmission at ride height. In any case, you have adjustment on your control arms, that should allow you to adjust pinon angle a bit after the fact.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/11/23 10:04 p.m.

I got some brackets tacked on and offered the rear end up roughly in position 

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/12/23 12:25 p.m.

Some cooling package mockup

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/12/23 1:06 p.m.

I think I'll try to tie the oil cooler brackets into my little removable front hood support . (The MG hood latch and support structure needed rust repairs, so it got cut out long ago. I found the motor really easy to move in and out with it gone so I decided to make something removable).

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/12/23 5:00 p.m.

What HP numbers are you looking at?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/12/23 10:55 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Probably going to start out as a pretty tame 302 (decent heads an a cam). Low three hundreds would be pretty cool but I don't know how well calibrated my brain dyno is.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/13/23 9:31 a.m.

I had a 302 in my MGB with big valve, ported aluminum heads, Comp cam and GT40 intake and it made only 265 hp at the wheels. They tell me this is normal, I was disappointed. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/13/23 9:44 a.m.

Nukem, the reason I asked was, your 3rd mem stiffening bracket made me think you were pursuing perhaps more like 500 RWHP..... 

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/13/23 9:53 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I might eventually push things further. The rear end is definitely asking for more... The stiffening bracket was mostly to give me something I'm confident I can actually weld to for the upper link to mount to.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/13/23 9:55 a.m.
Nukem said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I might eventually push things further. The rear end is definitely asking for more... The stiffening bracket was mostly to give me something I'm confident I can actually weld to for the upper link to mount to.

and then there's that...........

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/13/23 10:02 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Sounds like I need to read through your car's immense history some more. I missed the 302 powered parts.

I've got some plans mulling around for when I'm inevitably disappointed by NA 302 power.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zTgmLvapgPRDW09EtwaEsmWkARnivr5AZasHKKRPdmTFaO9FnXh42ZWYpYcM7O65