1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17
TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/13/23 11:08 a.m.

I hear the power of a snail can be magical.....

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/13/23 11:52 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

I would make excuses about packaging difficulties but then I see builds like BadBug's Bugeye

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/13/23 1:37 p.m.

Hmmm....

I find this stack of heat exchangers to be quite pleasing.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/13/23 5:04 p.m.

Here we go......!

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/13/23 6:26 p.m.

I keep coming back to this placement:

Intake side points through this convenient hole for the RHD car. I really like the idea of putting the intake in the some of the existing dash / firewall structure where the heater used to blow for maximum intake noises. If I did this I would call it a honk box and I'm sure I would love it.

Turbine outlet could dump through the inner fender (through a similar hole to what I've already cut on the driver side, and charge pipes could be routed pretty simply at the top of the fender.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/15/23 6:04 p.m.

Air box CAD:

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/15/23 6:14 p.m.

Different CAD:

Using the existing fresh air vents (or a bigger hole I cut in the same place) to draw in outside (instead of cabin air):

I think the trick will be executing this in such a way that the air filter is actually easily servicable...

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/15/23 9:02 p.m.

You definitely will be able to hear it when it spools up!

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/16/23 5:22 p.m.

Welded in the top link / tunnel reinforcement and the shifter tower finally, while the turbo / airbox ideas ferment a bit:

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/16/23 6:52 p.m.

Peekaboo 

jimgood
jimgood Reader
8/17/23 5:51 a.m.

The first time I ever drove a FactoryFive Cobra was when I rented one for a track day. The rental guy set them all up with the intake running through a hole behind the passenger side dash and ending in a cone filter at the top of the foot well. I have to say, the sound of the engine sucking air right there added quite a bit to the experience.

R32Jordie
R32Jordie New Reader
8/17/23 8:59 a.m.

That will make a good noise. :)

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/17/23 5:34 p.m.

A little design iteration:

And in metal:

My plan is to use these little latches (or similar) to hold the two halves of the filter box (grey vs. orange in the CAD) together and seal the filter element. The orange part of the air box can bolt to the the firewall and seal with the help of some rubber bulb seal strip.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
8/18/23 1:48 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing how you do it. I'll be working on filtering soon as well. I like what you've started here.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/19/23 7:44 a.m.

I think I should steal from blue oval and call this thing the MG MGB GTD.

Might need a big wing to make that name work though.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/19/23 8:16 a.m.

Some work on the serpentine routing (alternator only):

Any thoughts on swapping the alternator and idler positions? I'm thinking If I put them both on the same side I can make one complicated bracket and one simple bracket instead of two complicated brackets...

Looking at one of these denso style units: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Denso-Style-1-Wire-Mini-Race-Alternator-90-Amp,403208.html

Bonus, large gauge wiring (starter to alternator) can be shorter if I put the alternator on the passenger side.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/19/23 8:51 a.m.

Fancy view that does a better job of illustrating the belt path:

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/19/23 12:44 p.m.

Why not eliminate the tensioner and use alternator to set tension? One less bracket and pulley.

Or put the tensioner where the idler is.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/19/23 1:56 p.m.

I've gone back and forth on using the alternator to set tension. might be simpler, but I already bought this tensioner...

I'm going to stew on this a bit.

Would it be weird to run the tensioner that way (with a ribbed pulley pushing on the inside of the belt vs. a flat pulley pushing on the outside?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/19/23 6:29 p.m.

Not sure on that.....hmmmmm...could you mount an idler pulley to the tensioner?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/19/23 7:34 p.m.

I have one that fits. It should technically work, but I'm not sure it's Kosher.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/19/23 9:04 p.m.

It wouldn't have more tension than any of the other ribbed pulleys

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/21/23 10:37 a.m.

I feel foolish to have thought otherwise.
Unfortunately the idler pulley I have is too small in diameter to clear the body of the tensioner, so that idea is a no-go with the parts I've currently got.

The Speedway motors alternator is out of stock, but I did some more digging around the web and came back here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/swap-science-how-hang-alternator/

The Geo Metro alternator looks like a good option, and I think actually the same Nippondenso style alternator case as that Speedway unit (with some differences in mounting tabs), so I ordered a reman one on Rockauto.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/21/23 5:25 p.m.

Did you get a Metro one? Are they one wire?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/21/23 10:01 p.m.

Yeah specifically this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1000047&cc=1430185&pt=2412

I believe it is a one wire deal.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
urLgLAIT491kKYejxaOSr4kEPqjzAhyfIAFrR6Wjwo8AcIkFOYQ4MzAoVHteZZ9w