1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/16/24 9:26 a.m.

Man, I bet you can fix just about anything on that car with just a basic set of hand tools.

And yeah, I probably should drive a Model T sometime in my life.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

They even included the tools:

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/24 10:16 a.m.

This is so fascinating. Thank you for sharing the adjustment process. I'll never ever need to know it, but it's amazing to see.

ShawnG said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes.

I berkeleying love seeing stuff like this.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 10:22 a.m.

Glad you folks are enjoying this.

I love playing with early cars because every company was trying something different and it's interesting to see all the different ideas people had.

Unfortunately I'm priced right out of my favourite brand (Packard) but I love early Fords too and there's no cheaper way to enjoy a vintage car than getting a Model T or Model A. Driving one will put a smile on anyone's face.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

Looking at that track roadster, I seem to recall that it was in The Rodder's Journal some years back. Maybe even on the cover.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
10/16/24 11:42 a.m.
iansane said:

This is so fascinating. Thank you for sharing the adjustment process. I'll never ever need to know it, but it's amazing to see.

ShawnG said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes.

I berkeleying love seeing stuff like this.

Looks like a detonator or maybe a Morse code device.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/16/24 12:48 p.m.

I sent my son in law a replacement electronic ignition for his T, it fits inside something and doesn't show. He says it made all the difference as he could not keep the points coils working properly, now it starts easier and always runs on all four.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 12:53 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Looking at that track roadster, I seem to recall that it was in The Rodder's Journal some years back. Maybe even on the cover.

I wanna say it was built by Lil John Buttera (sp?)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 1:41 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That's incredibly awesome.

Lil' John is the guy who started the billet parts craze by machining stuff in his own basement.

He's also the last independent to qualify at Indy, early 80's I think. He built his own car, powered by a SBC. Then hired a driver.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/16/24 4:18 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

The track roadster was built mainly by Ron Covell for Dave Cayer in 1980-81. Starting in 1982, it was in many magazines, including being named one of the top 10 street rods by Hot Rod in December 1982. The car was designed by Don Varner, who won the Oakland Roadster show with a car he designed and Ron built just after this car. The interior was done at Boyd Coddington's shop by Vic Kitchens, and Squeege Jerger did the paint. I don't think it was ever in Rodder's Journal, but it was on the cover of Rodder's World. It's driveable, but much more a show car. I'm not really a show car person, but Ron Covell has been a friend of mine for many years. He bought the car from Dave Cayer's widow about 15 years ago and decided it was time to move it on, so I'm the next caretaker mainly because of my connection to Ron and I think it's one of the best looking track roadsters ever built.

I don't think Lil' John had a connection to the car (he did hang around Boyd's a lot back then), but it's an interesting piece of street rod history as it had a very traditional midget/sprint car inspired nose, but then got high-tech for the times. It had one of the first sets of billet windshield posts and mirrors out there. I understand Dave Cayer machined those himself. It also had an LED digital dashboard, completely custom built. The dash stopped working so Ron put conventional gauges in the car, but I still have it. Ron also gave me several original drawings, plans, and sketches with the car. Very cool and probably more than you guys wanted to read...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 4:32 p.m.

That's very cool too.

Ron Covell is incredibly talented. I've seen him on TV before and in some of Miller's instructional videos.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/16/24 8:21 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I have a client with a 1908 Model S and two of his coils need a rebuild. They're completely different from a T coil but work on the same principle. 

Please post pictures of the Model S!

I have a couple of Ns. Here's a picture of the one that runs teaching a new generation about really old cars.  It's 5hp less than a T but feels way faster due to lighter weight and vulnerable seating position.

I hope I'm not highjacking this thread. The other forums about early Fords aren't very good and Shawn has already posted better stuff than hundreds of pages on the other ones, so I thought I'd add to it.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 8:49 p.m.

Not hijacking at all.

I'll get some pics of the S next time I'm out there working on it. We purchased it from the Den Hartough auction in The Netherlands in 2018. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 8:58 p.m.

Ron Covell is the E36 M3. Such an amazingly talented guy. I remember reading his articles in Street Rodder almost 30 years ago. 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
10/16/24 9:02 p.m.

That track roadster is beautiful. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/16/24 9:08 p.m.

It's a long, long way to go but I was completely blown away at this place:

https://www.transportworld.co.nz/invercargill-things-to-do/henry-ford-letter-cars/

R

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 9:43 p.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

Wow, they have a Model K. Those were only made for a year or two. Very expensive luxury car that flopped.

We got outbid on one at that auction. Went for six figures.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/16/24 9:48 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Ron Covell is the E36 M3. Such an amazingly talented guy. I remember reading his articles in Street Rodder almost 30 years ago. 

He's also a GRM subscriber.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 10:21 p.m.

This is going to end up like The H.A.M.B. where everyone was trying to figure out which member was Jay Leno.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/17/24 1:00 a.m.

Would you happen to know anyone with some 1908 Model S coils they would be willing to part with?

I had a friend at Hershey looking for them but no luck.

They're Ford part number 1521

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ejpx7SqrqjrLhar7OrRI8mjshgVYi0xGnAg8ov5wnoVWclsEDgGvLo69n3sWTEic