1 ... 5 6 7
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/24 6:54 p.m.

Started making a light noise in the right rear wheel bearing.  So I decided to do all the bearings and replace the shoes.  This has been the first time that I can recall being in the rear brakes.  Shoes had maybe half life left.  New stuff and all adjusted the car stops well again. 

I also drained out a little bit of oil and then retopped it off with some High Performance Lubricants ED30 engine cleaner to give it a 20% ratio.  Also switched to a cheaper oil filter to change after 1k to then cut open and inspect.

malibuguy
5/10/24 8:02 a.m.

Few weeks ago I made a quiet rear section exhaust using a muffler from a 99 LS400 I parted out years ago.  Was going after the RS*R ExMag vibe.  I love it.

Yesterday marks 5 years since initially test fitting the 1nzfe so I drove it and compared engine placement to my 4dr build.

malibuguy
6/25/24 11:46 p.m.

Trying some synchromesh in my car.

Also finished my new header.  Its a stepped primarily, Tri-Y of equal length design.  Hopefully it fits 😆 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
6/26/24 8:26 a.m.

I've looked at the 1NZFE in my wife's Scion over the years and came to the conclusion it's a pretty good little beast. Dependable as gravity, understressed ....it just keeps on going and going. All it needs is a light car to go with it, and you've done that nicely. Well done.

malibuguy
6/26/24 10:34 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Its just pure perfection in these cars.  Right amount of power, noise and speed and still average 40mpg

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
6/27/24 8:51 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Bundle of snakes for the win! :) Nice welds,too. Great work!

malibuguy
7/3/24 5:56 p.m.

Popped the header in yesterday, was supposed to be a test fit...but without removing the axle and coming up from underneath it was hard to get into place.  Once it was in, the header fit exactly how I imagined it would.

I knew it was going to be tight on the firewall and my steering vent line.  Which I have to redo at some point.  If I made another spaghetti Id shift the bends closer to the head.  My shifter cables have pletny of room.

The drive home was interesting.  The sound is different.  Higher pitched, less tinny spots and overall volume was quieter.  The noises coming thru my intake have a whole different set of tones which I attribute to the equal length Tri-Y design.  If your not aware, Intake noise is primarily exhaust noise boucing back thru during valve overlap.

I still want to dyno test it but I got to address a few things before I do.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iuCxWLTut8SaLcAl6xmO700vgnFdF0Nb7JpQkqYllgKVeR5Fx1E7okcou9lspp0N