de80q Reader
4/6/21 6:01 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I'll have to give it a shot.  Thanks

de80q
de80q Reader
4/6/21 6:06 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

The 034 ecu's were a special animal.  From what I understand about them, you needed that relay panel.  Then again, that's what most people said about the MS, and I don't know anyone running one.

As for the tanks, the biggest problem is most people never changing their coolant.  This caused a ton of rust and other debris to build up inside.  Then it settles in the right spots, and doesn't want to move.  I'm getting there though I think.

de80q
de80q Reader
4/11/21 7:25 a.m.

Well, I got my new sway bar links from rockauto installed yesterday.  The ones I removed were factory original from 91!  I know this because they both still had the green paint on the threads and nuts.  These pure chinesium ones I don't expect to last nearly that long.

On a different note, after taking off the ebrake, I still felt like I had to stand on the brake peddle to get the car to stop.  These pads and rotors have been on the car for around 7 years, with a lot of sitting around.  The suggestion was made from a friend that the slide pins might be seized up.  So, I went about ripping off all the calipers to check the pins.  All were moving freely, so I moved on.

After checking the pins, I decided to pull the pads and rotors and clean them all up.  Fronts went like normal, pads fell out when I pulled the caliper off. The rears in the other hand, the inners were held very snugly in place on the carriers.  So poped all the pads and rotors, cleaned up the carriers and pad contact surfaces.  Not they slide freely.  I also deglazed the rotors and ran the pad faces on some sand paper to break the glaze and rust off.  I plan to replace the entire baking system this year, so I wasn't worried about it too much just yet.  If for nothing else, I feel like I have power brakes again...

de80q
de80q Reader
11/29/21 8:30 p.m.

So it's been a while...  I have been back and forth about selling this car heavily in my mind.  I just don't have the heart to let it go.  So I've decided to keep upgrading.

First I rebuilt a pair of factory rear calipers, so I have an Ebrake that works again.   I of course painted the calipers red then...  So I had to at least slap a coat of paint on the front calipers.  Couldn't have the rear calipers all clean and purdy, and the fronts looking a little crusty!  Unfortunately, I've been too lazy to get the car inspected, so other than a couple short trips around the neighborhood, it hasn't done much.

So I've been looking at doing a 5 lug swap, and bigger brakes now for a while.  Well I think the time is here.  I've been collecting parts for this, and hopefully soon I can start on it.  Prices seemed to start going up on some parts, so I decided it was time to just bite the bullet, and order them.  I still need to rebuild the rear calipers, and find another set of B5 rear hubs, but I'm close!

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/29/21 9:30 p.m.

In reply to de80q :

Would C3 hubs work? I've got a spare set that I pulled off the front of my 200.

de80q
de80q Reader
11/29/21 11:49 p.m.

In reply to Turbine :

Unfortunately not.  The 80q has 75mm bearings on all 4 corners.  I appreciate the offer though.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/21 11:09 a.m.

I have a pair of brand new meyle hubs I was going to use on the 90 I was working on when I was going convert. The new owner isn't going to do that (actually, I think he's selling the car) I'd give them to you if you want?

de80q
de80q Reader
11/30/21 11:10 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

I'll shoot you an email tomorrow.  I thought all the aftermarket hubs were for 82mm bearings.  As for your old car, was it white with gold wheels?  There is a 10vt 90q on motorgeek for sale right now.

iansane
12/1/21 11:10 a.m.

Maybe I was gathering parts that I couldn't use! I'm not positive, I just thought the later 2pc struts could use a factory b5 s4 rear hub to switch to 5 lug so I grabbed a pair.

And yeah, that's the car. Gold 1552 Tarmac's. If you know anyone that wants the car, I'm sure he'd make a deal! He hates waiting for things to sell. I put a decent amount of effort into that car so I'm bummed to see it go but car quantity seems like a rule in most marriages.

de80q
de80q Reader
12/1/21 11:59 a.m.

I'll look it up on ETKA.  If they are the same, that would be perfect!

As for the car, it looks pretty nice.  I don't remember how much he wants for it off hand, but unfortunately, there aren't too many of us 10vt nuts around anymore.  Plus, the 034 ECU is kind of a dinosaur, and not many know how to work with it properly any more.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/21 12:14 p.m.

I saw the ad for that car a few days ago. Even though all of my experience has been with 20v stuff, if there was a way I could bring it home without SWMBO leaving me, I would. 

iansane
12/1/21 1:14 p.m.

de80q said:

Plus, the 034 ECU is kind of a dinosaur, and not many know how to work with it properly any more.

Tell me about it. I don't know diddly about tuning and the guy that "tuned" it let slip that he just copied a stock MC MAP and called it a day. Even with cold start characteristics like a '75 chevy truck the car is ridiculously fun. If I didn't already have a b5 avant I'd take it back!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/1/21 1:42 p.m.

That's my issue with stand alone.  Yes, they're flexible, yes they're arguably better than the old stock ECU's.  However, you need to find someone who really understands tuning and then understands the stand alone.  At least with the stock ECU, the cold start, idle circuit and all that stuff is already there, on a stand alone everything needs to get mapped out.

iansane
12/1/21 3:27 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I think it's exacerbated by the fact this has no IAC or throttle follower provisions. Not to mention it's a dead medium. 034 orphaned the setup long ago and doesn't support/update it unlike most standalones that at least have a following. 

de80q
de80q Reader
12/1/21 8:50 p.m.

Running the MS3X was a pain, but like you said, there is a following with it, so things could get figured out.  I'm still working out the cold start(I don't drive it enough) and the IAC was a pain to get working correctly.  The good news is that Mark at efiexpress makes an adaptor harness to convert from the 034 ecu to VEMS, so there that.

iansane
12/2/21 11:15 a.m.
de80q said:

Mark at efiexpress makes an adaptor harness to convert from the 034 ecu to VEMS, so there that.

Now that's an interesting thing...

de80q
de80q Reader
12/11/21 9:52 a.m.

Well, it managed to pass inspection yesterday!  Now I can prep it for winter, and go play in the eventual snow...

I did notice some thing yesterday though.  I seen to have a boost leak at the ECU.  I'm not sure if it's the hose leading to it, or the map sensor itself.  The hose didn't seem tight on the nipple anymore, so I'm really hoping that's the problem.

de80q
de80q Reader
12/12/21 7:21 p.m.

So I decided it's time to replace the 3rd melted poly motor mount bushing with something that shouldn't melt.  So I machined up a piece of delrin to fit in it's place.  Hopefully this will hold up better to the heat on that side.

iansane
12/14/21 11:30 a.m.

How in the heck did you figure out the leak at the ecu? Did you hear it?

de80q
de80q Reader
12/14/21 8:27 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Yes, it is actually quite loud.  As soon as the turbo starts to spool, a quite loud hissing sound comes from the passenger floor are where the MS is sitting.  Unfortunately I haven't had much time to investigate yet.

iansane
12/15/21 11:03 a.m.

1 point for mounting the ecu on the floor!

I remember back in the day burning chips manually for my trans am and just have the pcm on the floor so I could swap chips out. People always kicking the thing. Ha!

de80q
de80q Reader
12/15/21 10:28 p.m.

I had it mounted on the blower box under the glove box, but the wires were at too great of an angle, and was starting to have problems.  I put in on the floor, and haven't had a single sync loss since.  So I think some of the pins were getting pulled on, and losing contact.

de80q
de80q Reader
1/6/22 8:54 p.m.

Well, we are expecting up to 5" of snow tonight, so I figured I better get ready.  Changed the oil, topped off the fluids, and put the snows on.  All in about an hour on my sketchy hill of a driveway.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/6/22 9:25 p.m.

I expect all kinds of slip sliding video tomorrow.

de80q
de80q Reader
1/7/22 6:42 a.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

I wish I could!  No one to video it happening...

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZKDFDbWjCePQo0uOlijvvHVxPHshcRCSw5sOh7uR5fgOKyEDpShqliAmEQKNqtR