1 ... 68 69 70
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
9/29/23 3:00 a.m.

Here is some summary on why the tune was falling on its face.

First off, the LC2 was malfunctioning and reading improper values.  It said I was at 14 idle when in fact it was closer to 10.  (Yes, I calibrated it, many times)

Secondly, the TPS mapping was simply too chunky for this ITB setup.  Previously I had it going 0-10-20-30, etc.  It simply did not like that no matter what I did.  I remapped the VE map so the first 12% was much more granular.  So 0-3-6-9-12-20-30-40, etc.  It's now incredibly responsive and farrrrr more drivable.

Lastly, the new controller is a new X series AEM.  Which I've used older versions of and never had to do anything more than the white wire to the ECU, but the readings were jumping all over the place.  I neglected to read the manual because I've hooked up several in the past, but in the new instructions I didn't see the part that said, "If you don't have a positive and negative for your ECU, and positive only, hook the negative to common ground." and BLAMMO, it was within .06 of the gauge, and constant.

What was the result?  Well, a very happy Lambo.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
9/29/23 5:30 a.m.

Sweet, I love it when this comes back to the top!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/23 6:40 a.m.

Excellent to see it getting worked out. I'm so tempted to start amassing EFI parts to replace my Bosch K Jetronic as it's more and more rare and expensive, not getting any more accurate with fuel delivery, and real experts in the system that are even willing to work on them are fading away. Kudos for the dedication to keep these cars going anyway you can.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/23 8:15 a.m.

Great start to Friday, seeing this on Page 1.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/29/23 9:33 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Great start to Friday, seeing this on Page 1.

I'll second that.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/29/23 9:46 a.m.
corsepervita said:

First off, the LC2 was malfunctioning and reading improper values.  It said I was at 14 idle when in fact it was closer to 10.  (Yes, I calibrated it, many times)

I give up. What is an LC2? 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/23 9:49 a.m.
NOHOME said:
corsepervita said:

I give up. What is an LC2? 

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/lc-2-complete-lambda-cable-kit-8-ft.html

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/29/23 10:26 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

So a wideband O2 sensor. Got it.

When I see O2 sensor data that I don't trust my first action is to reach for the smoke machine to check the intake side and the shop vac  and soapy water to  to check for header leaks near the sensor. 

I don't know anything about the engine control module being used, but if it has the equivalent of short term fuel trim, it must be off the chart.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
9/29/23 12:06 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

So a wideband O2 sensor. Got it.

When I see O2 sensor data that I don't trust my first action is to reach for the smoke machine to check the intake side and the shop vac  and soapy water to  to check for header leaks near the sensor. 

I don't know anything about the engine control module being used, but if it has the equivalent of short term fuel trim, it must be off the chart.

Yeah, this was an odd situation because it simply was not feeling right and was falling pretty flat, and then I was constantly fouling plugs and I knew something was not right.  It smelled rich, looked rich, fouled plugs and I thought, "Yeah this is just way too rich something is off."

When I recalibrated the LC2 and I got different readings each time I knew it had to be something on the wideband side.  The new controller confirmed that.  The old controller and sensor were about 8 years old at this point, and the LC2 does not have the world's best reputation.  They are a good budget wideband, but I had quite a few people in the megasquirt community, "Do not waste your time with those.  Please."

The AEM X Series is reading correct and constant, and when I turned the car on and saw 10-11 at Idle I went, "Ok so I'm not crazy then."  The ECU Is a megasquirt 3.

1carnut
1carnut New Reader
1/3/24 11:09 p.m.

Nice to see your progress on the build.  I am putting new Koni's on the front of my Jalpa right now, so I am tackling the project you did in May.  My top mounts were a bit odd and had some play that I didn't like.  Clever bearing remover tool/process.  Thanks for the idea on how to do that bearing removal.   Good luck and keep Jalpaing.  

1 ... 68 69 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
glq7LtzgNEVQCkZvNTW6Ex5U1tOTS6GKcwNlh79cVvgIn8iPSzMP8vxLXPPjL7Ad