1 2 3
rodknock
rodknock Reader
1/2/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to papamilad :

Does you use the sculpt mode in Fusion to accomplish this or something else? 

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
1/2/20 7:05 p.m.

In reply to rodknock :

Its definitely possible, you don't have the level of control as you would with something like NX but if you're patient you can probably get a simple geometry reverse engineered.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
1/2/20 7:32 p.m.

In reply to papamilad :

Ah ok that makes sense. I thought I was missing something in Fusion as I have found more complex surfaces tricky to pull off compared to other programs. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/2/20 9:32 p.m.

Remember  Twister? That truck needs to be called "Bill."  Because:

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/3/20 7:54 a.m.
papamilad said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Are you telling me, as a tech grad, you dont have an old 40 core rack you bought for dirt cheap off facebook in your garage? shameful

Oh, of course I do. How else do I deep fake all that video to make it look like I actually race? I was speaking of all the normal readers.

smokeysevin
smokeysevin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/3/20 10:23 a.m.

The two pieces of software I use at work for this sort of thing are called Geomagic Design X and Flex Scan LM, Flex scan has a consumer version that is free that uses a MS Kinect as the scanner to output a STL file. Autodesk used to offer a free version of their Photogametry program called RECap but I don't think its free anymore. Design X is what you use as the "Reverse Engineering" component.

The tricky part is working with the mesh since the STL files can have very high poly counts which programs like inventor and solidworks hate. When scanning you are also at the mercy of the alignment tools to link each individual scan to the next. You can take good scans and still get garbage fit if the alignment isn't good or your overlap is not adequate.

Sean

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
1/3/20 5:36 p.m.

In reply to smokeysevin :

Oh yeah, fusion hates loading in these giant STLs. Aligning a coordinate system is a laggy mess. I tried a trial version of Geomagic but didn't have much success. It seems better tailored to complete scans of an object.

spandak
spandak Reader
1/4/20 8:51 p.m.

Half a page and this thread is already eye opening. 
I love CFD stuff but have never known the tools to actually do it. Making a solidworks model and testing it is one thing. Replicating a car as a model and doing it.... that's something else. But this, this is cool

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/4/20 9:26 p.m.

I even own a zq8 S10 and I wasn't like super-hyped for this until i saw 3d scanning and now im SO IN laugh

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/20 10:38 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Remember  Twister? That truck needs to be called "Bill."  Because:

That movie is older than the GT kids..... 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/20 3:56 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

So is the S10. laugh

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/20 3:01 p.m.

Great place to start from. The Extreme has all the good suspension / steering stuff. Some of the V6 trucks had an extra stabilizer shock to help control wheel hop.

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
1/8/20 11:45 p.m.

Making some progress on the truck. Tore the whole thing down to the frame to give us a blank slate to work with. Every suspension components is going to be enginerded by us. We also managed to find our drivetrain, a V6 out of a mid-2000s Acura TL (J32) and a 6 speed manual transmission to go with it. They came with an lsd, which is gonna help for when we shove it in the pickup bed.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/20 8:22 a.m.

This old WR alumn approves of V6 powered Challenge car. Couldn't quite cut it last year with a turbo V8 eh? laugh

young_boomer
young_boomer New Reader
1/15/20 9:30 p.m.

Since we have the ability to 3D scan for CFD, we decided to 3D scan the engine mount and rear crossmember to design motor mounts.

Our faculty advisors aren't as excited as we are about the chalk paint all over the floor.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa New Reader
1/15/20 9:43 p.m.
papamilad said:

To scan, all you need is a decent camera with that has a reasonably realistic focal length (think 35mm prime lens or 55mm on a full frame DSLR) and a copy of a program called Agisoft Metashape. Then just take a bunch of pictures! The number of pictures you can take is limited heavily by available RAM. For example, this scan used around 700 images and was using around 100gb of RAM to process. Took a bit over a day with a 40 core machine. But, you can still get very good results with a home computer (~16gb RAM with around 200 images), you'll just have to be very sparing with the detail shots (IE: to capture the mirrors I probably took about 50 images alone)

I've had good luck with Meshroom.  It can be a bit of a pain with milled flat surfaces, but it's not too bad 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/16/20 6:34 a.m.

I think there is still a ReCap LT version available. There might be a free version of Faro's Scene which helps with registering the scans, but I am not sure about using photogrammetry since we use it with an actual 3d scanner with lasers.

But Scene has the ability to grab orbs, surfaces, and targets as common points between scans to help registration.

Awesome project!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/20 10:26 a.m.

Does this chalk paint wash off without much effort?  Would you paint it on your own car if you wanted to 3D scan your own vehicle or would you be worried about it ruining the paint?  This looks like a much cheaper alternative than the NDT developer spray I have used in the past with laser scanners.

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
1/17/20 1:00 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Does this chalk paint wash off without much effort?  Would you paint it on your own car if you wanted to 3D scan your own vehicle or would you be worried about it ruining the paint?  This looks like a much cheaper alternative than the NDT developer spray I have used in the past with laser scanners.

You can get 95% of it off just by hosing it off. I've scanned some pretty expensive cars with nice paint using this stuff before, no issues. Just plan using it around a car wash or something lol

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/17/20 12:00 p.m.
young_boomer said:

Since we have the ability to 3D scan for CFD, we decided to 3D scan the engine mount and rear crossmember to design motor mounts.

Our faculty advisors aren't as excited as we are about the chalk paint all over the floor.

who tf let Jackson Pollock at this car

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
1/17/20 2:19 p.m.

First engine mount is done (apart from some boltholes). Using the scan of the rear frame and engine assembly, we were able to mock up a mount pretty damn close. Needed a few adjustments after initial test cuts but it turned out pretty good. 

Below is a picture of the first iteration. Fitment was good but the mount ended up too tall and too far forward. It was difficult to capture underneath the factory cast piece bolted to the engine so the scan didn't turn out too accurate.

Some adjustment later and we had our final mount tacked in place. All we need to do is mill down the aluminium mount flat and chuck a bolt through it.

Incase you're wondering why it looks a bit sparse, it is only one of four total mounts plus we did some stress analysis because we are told that's a thing engineers do. Note that the deformations in the picture are highly exaggerated.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/20 2:47 p.m.

Very cool! Please keep us updated as best you can, we love seeing the progress!

java230
java230 UberDork
1/17/20 3:01 p.m.

Very cool project.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/20 9:23 p.m.

When you go to paint the chassis,  please replicate the chalk paint in something more permanent.  That's too cool not to do.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/20 10:01 a.m.
Appleseed said:

When you go to paint the chassis,  please replicate the chalk paint in something more permanent.  That's too cool not to do.

Yes. Please.

(Maybe not quite this aggressive, but you get the idea.)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8t5OyIgzK5uE5pBpaxVXTKhkLAIyyZFUWkFjZglk1imtSBAcgofJ4PcNxl13fO0L