1 2
Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
10/6/24 11:58 a.m.

This has morphed from a for-sale thread into a build thread (much to my disappointment).

Every post on Wranglerforum with a diagnostic question direct people to Wranglerfix.com.  Absent a definitive diagnosis, I called & spoke to the owner of Wranglerfix about my issues. I was a little disappointed with how he just insisted it was the PCM w/out any actual diagnosis.  They have a bunch of TJs in their parking lot to test PCMs.  I was hesitant to ship my PCM off w/out more confidence that was the failure.  In an effort to get the jeep back underneath my house before the last storm I went to the U-pull-in & bought a spare PCM from a 4.0 Grand Cherokee of the same year.  With that PCM installed I could hear the fuel pump priming & it would start & run poorly for 10 seconds, stalling  at 500 rpm.  This gave me confidence that the PCM was the issue.

I paid the $200 repair fee & dropped off my PCM (I was in SoFL for work).  It's a nice business with a good reputation.  A few people on the phone & likely a few techs repair/rebuiding parts.  

Same day they called & said it wasn't repairable & I'd have to pay another $375 for a replacement because the capacitors leaked onto the board.  I wonder if these things are ever deemed "repairable"...but at that point I'm already comitted.  It stings a bit, but that's market rate for a PCM.  Even Jerry the jeep guy in Daytona wanted $600 or more for a used PCM (not rebuilt).   

Apparently there's a hack to use a phone charger to convert 12V to 5V & trick car into seeing a pulse from the PCM.  There didn't seem to be much information on this hack & I really needed to just get it running.

The Jeep is now running so I can get it moved out of the rain before the next storm.  I'd really like to get it sold, but there's a chance I'll have free time this fall to repair the rust before trying to sell it.  It's all up in the air at this point.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
swFHysfwGmidUe66lFvCXkr9xSWkAKvYhti9TxJo9rzx8y0YyVxtXLWzcSXYaYDk