1 2 3
Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
1/7/09 3:05 p.m.

..Unless you live in Oxford, Pennsylvania. I found one of those awesome miata deals, a 96' for $200. I even drove it home. I stopped in at a local repair shop about two weeks ago and asked if they wanted the car out of the lot and the owner of the place was quite interested in moving it. I left my name and number and the car owner was contacted, he didn't want to put any more money into the car so I gladly scooped it up. Needs a radiator hose, a tail light, and a vehicle speed sensor that I have found so far. They claimed it had a bad engine but I didn't hear and deathly noises on my short drive home and the oil is not mixed with coolant so I may have lucked out.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/7/09 3:06 p.m.

And the moral of the story is: Always ask. Great score, man!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/09 3:07 p.m.

Incredible deal! What made them think the engine was bad? Any idea? A '96 so it has the 1.8 in it...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/7/09 3:22 p.m.

I'll buy it of you for DOUBLE what you paid...

But in all seriousness, great find

Duke
Duke Dork
1/7/09 3:31 p.m.

Wow. Just... wow. I hope these things (or their NB equivalent) are lying around like this when I finally get to shop for one! Congrats.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
1/7/09 3:34 p.m.

you suck. Good job finding and getting that one.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/7/09 3:37 p.m.

Great find! Even if that Miata turns out to be a total basket case, you can easily make more than $200 parting it out.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
1/7/09 3:42 p.m.

You could make $200 off just a few choice parts and still be street legal.

Hell of a job!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/7/09 3:46 p.m.

damn!

deal of the century! congrats

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/7/09 4:05 p.m.

:thumbsup: Great find!

Sofa King
Sofa King New Reader
1/7/09 5:23 p.m.

Seems like the deals are happening on black Miatas! I bought 2 Miatas in the last 30 days, which brings my total to three, and all are black! I wasn't looking for the last 2.... they were just too good to pass up.... but neither were $200.

Way to go!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/09 5:30 p.m.

That's ghetto gold. Good deal!

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/7/09 5:35 p.m.

That was a heads up move for sure. Even if you had to push it home it was worth it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/09 5:39 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I'll buy it of you for DOUBLE what you paid... But in all seriousness, great find

i'll triple it, tomorrow, unmarked bills.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
1/7/09 5:49 p.m.

Nice! Haha Oxford.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
1/7/09 6:38 p.m.

I went out to dinner and grabbed some new radiator hoses and a gallon of coolant, I'll find out tomorrow if the engine is able to be saved.

Josh
Josh Reader
1/7/09 11:50 p.m.

Damn, you could just take off the rear finish panel and throw away the rest of the car and it would still be a good deal. Why don't I ever come across any of these?

byron12
byron12 New Reader
1/8/09 1:07 a.m.

Great find I hope to find a good miata deal soon myself maybe not that good though.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
1/8/09 8:15 a.m.

When I got mine a year ago (I paid a similar low-ball sum), I thought there was going to be a lot wrong with it. It turns out that it needed a radiator and some shocks. They told me the transmission was bad, but three HPDEs and a couple auto-xs later and it's still going strong.

Great find!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/8/09 9:01 a.m.

I love it when non-car-people diagnose their own problems as catastrophic and give cars away.

I saw a 240sx "in need of a clutch" (that I didn't buy) go for like $250. I wanted it for $150...very rusty. I test drove it...there was nothing wrong with the clutch.

I got a $100 '90 323 several years ago that needed a battery (it had been replaced,but for some reason, the battery kept going down). My ex-in-laws are still driving that car every day (after I drove it for a year or more). There was a 12V+ wire hanging loose from a stereo uninstall that seemed to be causing a problem.

My corolla wagon "needed a clutch" when I got it. I honestly don't know what that's about (maybe worn synchros...maybe) because I drove it to work this morning, just like every other morning for the last year and a half.

Clem

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/8/09 12:48 p.m.

Used up old miata - $200

Sold AC equipment +140

Sold passenger seat +40

Sounds like the beginings of a fabulous challenge entry!!

Lucky Bastard

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/8/09 1:01 p.m.

I say "Le", you say "Mons".

Le - Mons! Le - Mons!

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
1/8/09 1:22 p.m.

But how will they weld rediculous metal items to your roof?! HOW!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/8/09 3:04 p.m.

I bought a Spitfire with a 'bad clutch' which was missing 4 bolts from one rear axle flange. I drove it back past the guy's house an hour and a half after I bought it. I think that pissed him off.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/8/09 3:36 p.m.

I bought an '83 GTI for $100 that I determined that it had a bad vacuum leak from the way the guy described it over the phone. I went over to his house with $100 and a roll of duct tape. I gave him the $100, got the title, wrapped the intake boot with tape and drove it away.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cbAYvka51RKeivh5EXOg0EG8quZ2ZVdDe2fR9YUJfHZfaL3LEpZhOHVj1XazivEQ