Ok, I'm in!

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
12/21/08 12:11 p.m.

1/8 mile is for girls

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
12/21/08 9:49 p.m.

Good thing Cali has some cute ones . I hope a lot show up at the Challenge.

ww
ww Dork
1/1/09 12:57 a.m.

I'll be sporting our "re-painted" 24hrs of LeMons entry! Should come in WELL below the $1000 mark!

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/5/09 1:43 p.m.

So...is this thing on or what?

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/7/09 12:42 p.m.

Anybody? We kept hearing this "end of 2008" deadline for our regi$tration to be in. What's the story, are there enough entries to continue planning on this?

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 12:52 p.m.

I'm trying to get an official word.

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
1/7/09 8:11 p.m.

The vacation is over for the SDRev office, and we're answering the mail again! Hopefully our luggage catches up to us soon...

SDRev Productions is pleased to announce that June 13th and 14th, 2009 are the provisional dates for the $2009 West Coast Challenge. The special $2009 class will run concurrently with the June Grand Challenge competition events for $1000 cars.

Thanks to the publication of the racing schedules at our host venues, we were able to select a date for the West Coast $2009 weekend. The dates are listed as provisional because we did NOT receive enough registrations to support the event. However, many of the best teams have registered so far, and we love them, so we're going to try to run it anyway.

We know that the lack of a date has been a significant obstacle to some people's commitment, so it is our sincere hope that with a provisional date, more people will be able to drop the hammer and commit to this race! We need your help, people. Those of you who have been awaiting a date, now is the time. We will continue to accept registrations, and reexamine the class in the beginning of February.

Those of you who have already submitted registrations, we are putting some contingency plans in place to make sure Something Wonderful happens. Keep building.

Regards, David

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/8/09 6:59 p.m.

So how many do you have David? Where the hell are the rest of the guys who whined about not getting a west coast event? I thought it'd be easy enough to find 15 suckers. I set a goal of finishing in the top 10, perhaps that will be easier than expected...

Bryce

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
1/9/09 9:05 a.m.

I'm still not saying, but I will say that something would have to go badly wrong for you to not place in the top 10 on race day.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/09 2:15 p.m.

Hey! I signed up and I'm out of work and flat broke! I mostly signed up because I was one of the "whiners" and now I have to figure out how to get down there and compete.

To me it seems like there just hasn't been as much talk about the event as there is for the original event put on by GRM. Of course I might have missed it since I'm not one to visit some of the sites oriented to the "younger" set anymore. Seriously, no mention on Jalopnik, very little mention on other car boards, etc. Sounds like SDRev/GRM need to "Rev" up the self-promotion a bit if they want this to work better.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/9/09 3:35 p.m.

Hey, give us a chance! The Challenge has a 10-year history; that's a lot of time to get promotions in place. We're working on the SDRev/GRM Challenge, but it's tougher for a new event.

Point taken, though: We'll try to get on it more.

Margie

fiat22turbo
1/9/09 4:34 p.m.

I can imagine it is a tough balancing act, let us know if you need any help or input (like you need to ask for input from your favorite group of knuckleheads, heh)

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/10/09 7:30 a.m.

Well, as a matter of fact...

Folks in the West could definitely help by talking about the event at club meetings and car meets, maybe even make sure it's on club calendars as soon as possible, and generally keep it at the forefront of people's minds. And enter as soon as possible. If you're on the fence seeing if your car is going to get finished, go ahead and throw your hat into the ring! You know you're going to do a last-minute thrash and show up with SOMEthing anyway.

Margie

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/09 9:14 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: We'll try to get on it more. Margie

and this time, that really is what she said!

Mental, I know you've got a tow vehicle now, so that's one less excuse you've got.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/13/09 1:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: We'll try to get on it more. Margie
and this time, that really is what she said! Mental, I know you've got a tow vehicle now, so that's one less excuse you've got.

True, the real problem is last time I checked, they hadn't picked a weekend. I know they were waiting on an autocross scehedule to co-incide with, but like many, I need something fairly solid to predict. I have limited time off as well as crazy gearhead trip resources and I have to allocate them pretty far out.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/13/09 1:40 p.m.

Mental, read above (David's posts)

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/13/09 3:56 p.m.

D'oh!

Looks like I am out of excuses! Time to start begging the wife.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/14/09 3:15 p.m.

Hey, wait a second! Why'd we lose the thread sticky?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/21/09 6:43 p.m.

Anybody else signing up for this shindig? Making this event official sure would make it easier to justify gutting out my Challenge car!

Bryce

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/09 8:50 p.m.

John is entering the 84 TBird. We've got a UHaul out front and we're loading up the 302 for it and all of the other parts we've been hording (doors, wheels, nitrous, etc).

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
1/26/09 11:34 a.m.

We've been hearing people whinning about a west coast Challenge for years. If you guys can't get a good showing together then shame on you.

You don't need to bring a well sorted out, beautiful looking car...heck it doesn't even have to run yet, that's why you get there the day before! :)

Suggestion, just bring a running car, you'll have a blast! You can make it real pretty next year.

fiat22turbo
1/26/09 12:24 p.m.

Like I mentioned before, it seems like GRM has sort of tossed this out to keep us "quiet" while they work on their own projects closer to home. The group putting on the event, are working hard, but are more or less focused on the local aspect to the series so there isn't nearly as much PR work being done up/down the west side of North America. To be honest, I feel this is going to be viewed as a failure for those watching from the outside, unless we get some interest from GRM and some other sites/magazines/enthusiasts. For those of us involved in it, we'll want more and think we've done well to make it out and have some fun.

At the moment, I'm madly working (without a paying job mind you) on getting a car ready and I'm not sure I can actually afford to even make the trip!

I will say to you and anyone else that thinks this is a waste of time, to put your money where you mouth is and show up, otherwise I'm not terribly interested in reading/hearing it. If anyone on the West Coast needs, help, send out an SOS and we'll see what we can do to lend a hand.

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
1/26/09 3:44 p.m.

If people show up there's no way it will be seen as a failure. Understandably unless you've been to a Challenge you can't understand what it is about, but I can tell you that winning is not the top reason. You always need a goal to strive for so winning the Challenge and getting on the cover of GRM is that goal. But for me, "finishing" a car I built with my best friend and dragging to Florida from Boston was a goal in itself.

The GRM guys and girls aren't in this to pander to you, then want as many people as possible to be excited about the Challenge and GRM as a whole. Just push everyone you can on this forum and others to show up. Bring ANYTHING. Once you do one Challenge you'll be hooked.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/2/09 12:47 p.m.

It's Groundhog Day, so that means it's time for me to poke my head up and check the weather. What's the story guys, is this thing on or what? It's only four months away now!

I spent another couple of hundred bucks on my $2009 parts yesterday. I'm literally waiting on the official word to start stripping the car, making motor mounts, etc. I've got all the parts I need, some assembly required! Give me a good reason to turn this pile of parts into a $2009 car.

Bryce

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iJVg28DZh7WhuUsMsfBUqWzriOIgFKSElbjTZwkiEVEe6GK7zl9vY9mpxxIWO96G