1 2
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/11 9:13 a.m.

Will you guys be posting live updates today?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/22/11 9:17 a.m.

^^ Yep. Working on them now.

So far, the first session is complete and the NASA Mid-Atlantic staff is working on the results. These results will set the run groups for later sessions that will count for the official UTCC times.

Entries are up significantly from earlier UTCC events, but the big news is the return of the Riley Prototype entry. Other highlights include the Wreck Racing and Condor Speed Shop entries (It's awesome to see $200X cars on the big track!), the Sanford and Son Chevy Pickup of ChumpCar fame. There are also some very serious production car entries.

A handful of entries had off-track incidents in the warmup, so their first timed session won't be allowed as a penalty. They can, however use the first timed session as a test.

dyintorace
7/22/11 9:47 a.m.

Awesome. Can't wait to read more.

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
7/22/11 9:51 a.m.

must have update......................

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/22/11 11:01 a.m.

The first timed session is complete, here are the top 10 interim results for Group A-

Group A-
1) Tony Ave, Riley Technologies Prototype, 1:50.489
2) Reese Cox, Chevrolet Corvette, 1:54.958
3) Jason Bowles, Ganassi "Mustang", 1:55.739
4) Dave Handy, Juno SSE V6, 1:56.263
5) Walid Achi, Radical SR3, 1:58.876

For those following along at home, the Condor Speed Shop entry turned a 2:11.350, which was 4th fastest for the 1st session in Group B.

I'll keep adding what I can, but I'm also setting up cameras, editing video and (hopefully) posting it so please be patient.

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
7/22/11 11:10 a.m.

thank you!!!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/22/11 11:15 a.m.

MyLaps Timing and Scoring results are up for session 1-

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=689594

dyintorace
7/22/11 11:22 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: The first timed session is complete, here are the top 10 interim results for Group A- Group A- 1) Tony Ave, Riley Technologies Prototype, 1:50.489 2) Reese Cox, Chevrolet Corvette, 1:54.958 3) Jason Bowles, Ganassi "Mustang", 1:55.739 4) Dave Handy, Juno SSE V6, 1:56.263 5) Walid Achi, Radical SR3, 1:58.876 For those following along at home, the Condor Speed Shop entry turned a 2:11.350, which was 4th fastest for the 1st session in Group B. I'll keep adding what I can, but I'm also setting up cameras, editing video and (hopefully) posting it so please be patient.

Sounds like it could be a blowout for fastest lap.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/22/11 12:44 p.m.

How exactly are the cars divided between groups A and B?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/22/11 1:23 p.m.

Cars are split between group A and B by lap times after the warmup session.

And yeah, the Riley is a pretty clear expression of "Ultimate" track car. Of course, the day's not over yet.

There are 24 trophies, however, so there are a lot more winners at the UTCC than just the driver with the fastest lap.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/22/11 3:17 p.m.

It's been a crazy (and very, very hot) day, but results are in and we're hurrying to execute the awards ceremony. I'll be listing the award winners here as the ceremony happens, and should have a good video or two to share sometime later this evening (maybe tomorrow, depending on how the award ceremony goes. )

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/22/11 4:54 p.m.

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen. Direct from the awards ceremony, here are the results from the 2011 Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge. We've got some fantastic video that is being edited, so I should have some of the in-car stuff live this weekend. Also, look for an all-singing, all-dancing compilation video of the best moments from the 2011 event a little later on.

We'd like to send a huge thank you to our event sponsors- Pirelli, eBay Motors, SafeRacer, AEM Performance Electronics, Forgeline Wheels, CarDomain, Ford Racing, StopTech Brakes, Exedy Racing Clutch, and RaceKeeper. Without them, the event (and especially the awards) wouldn't be nearly as cool.

We would also like to say thanks to the staff of the NASA Mid-Atlantic region. These folks are top notch, and kept the day on schedule and under control. If you've never raced with this region, you owe it to yourself to join them for a race weekend.

Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge Cup
RWD Ripper
Track Terror- Tony Ave, Riley Mk XX- Tony Ave, 1:48.939

BimmerWorld Fastest BMW- Steve Bassen, BMW M3, 1:59.871

Furious 4 winner- Chad Slagg, Honda Civic, 2:13.319

Fastest FWD Car- Douglas Wind, Dodge SRT-4, 2:08.234

Dodge Motorsports Fastest Mopar- Douglas Wind, Dodge SRT-4, 2:08.234

Fastest Mazda, Brent Dalton, RX-7, 2:08.045

Forgeline Wheels Fastest Porsche- Alex Reznikov, 911 GT3, 2:05.254

Fastest Mitsubishi- Whit Staples, 2008 Lancer Evolution, 2:03.803

Ford Racing Fastest Ford- George Winkler, Mustang 302S, 2:03.589

Whoa Wonder- 2012 Boss 302S, Dean Vrenko 2:02.255

eBay Motors Boost Master
Traction Master- Tony Weisenhahn 2:01.309, Subaru Impreza WRX STI

eBay Motors Quick Kit- John Meyers, Mega Stalker, 2:00.421

eBay Motors Heavyweight Champion
RaceKeeper DMV Destroyer- Danny Popp, 2006 Chevrolet Corvette, 1:56.976

eBay Motors Dean of the Oldschool- Jason Bowles, Ganassi Mustang, 1:55.372

V8 Thunder Trophy
APR Winged Wonder
Forgeline Fastest GM- Reese Cox, Chevrolet Corvette, 1:54.958

ss
ss New Reader
7/23/11 4:20 p.m.

Tom, any pics? Wish we could have made it. Looks like we could have finished well. Maybe next year we can turn some heads.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
7/25/11 8:12 p.m.

I'm already awaiting next year's event. Hopefully the downward trend in temperature will continue.

Pat
Pat Reader
7/25/11 8:54 p.m.

How did our Condor friends do?

rusty02
rusty02 New Reader
7/25/11 10:21 p.m.

all things considered- I think the car did well. It was brutally hot- had some issues in the first session trying to shed the heat. Second session was missed as a result, third session we got it cooled down, but blew a charge pipe.

Fastest lap was a 2.11, with a few bad lines due to some traffic. car has alot of potential. our driver was really talented and drove the car very well. we all knew there was 8-10 seconds to be shed with the stars aligned. I hope we can get another shot at it next year. Big Thanks to grm! -we had a great time, and the whole facility was awesome.

-jay g.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/27/11 9:31 a.m.
ss wrote: Tom, any pics? Wish we could have made it. Looks like we could have finished well. Maybe next year we can turn some heads.

There are some pics on the event page (or you can take a shortcut by heading to www.ultimatetrackcarchallenge.com) and I'm working on some more video now too.

I've been making a playlist on YouTube of the various in-car videos. You can see the various in-car feeds here-

http://www.youtube.com/user/GRMtv#grid/user/333D93E05CDED667

If anybody has event video they'd like to share, send a link my way and I'll help spread the word.

Performancetread
Performancetread
7/31/11 12:30 p.m.

What a fantastic weekend, firstly I would like to thank the folks at Grassroots for their invitation to the UTCC and off course Chris and Laura Cobetto for their hospitality and their professionalism. They truly run a first class operation. The Grassroots folks put on an awesome event on Friday and worked endlessly thru an insanely hot day to make sure that the event went off without a hitch. I am glad that I made the trip and I am already looking forward to next year. VIR is an incredible track and it far exceeded my expectations and challenges throughout the weekend. The Performance Tread Evo had some problems through the weekend ultimately running down 5 psi of boost than normal but we still managed to secure second place on Saturday in TTA. Below is a video of the one of the better laps, the line still needs some work, perhaps some of you local guys can give me some pointers for next time.

http://performancetread.com/virjuly2011

Performancetread
Performancetread New Reader
7/31/11 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

Hey Tom here another video.

http://performancetread.com/virjuly2011

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
8/1/11 12:44 p.m.

JG's awesome video is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJH5zcpfouU

Jmarty
Jmarty
8/18/11 4:55 a.m.

Thanks for giving opportunity to all the car enthusiasts with this event and we always look around for such an event.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tsidk52uoNWo1kjZ4ZWakVfO3BpuoPgJ5HsfjzD0IHxVVDE5fnbwES7fHZ96ozFV