44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/5/24 9:25 p.m.

Hello GMR Hive.

I'm looking at a '13 Fiat 500 abarth. From what I could see a nice undercarriage and interior not too bad for the age how ever the sign say Low compression in #2 cyl.  I'm not up to speed on the new 500 and Dart motors what commonly fails?  i know I can find a motor for 2k and still be a head but would rather stick to my roots and fix it.  Is there common issues and things to check for?

It will be a computer for a bit while I decide what to do with my Cobalt SS that needs an undercarriage but at 270k thinking of tubular but pay off to cost....

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/11/24 9:25 p.m.

Well...It came home tonight.  Sadly, got home just as it turned dark so no work yet.  Code reader shows #2 misfire and "Random cyl misfire" I have never seen  random misfire before on my code reader.

other known issues pass door handle and inoperable hatch (looks to be common wire harnesses issue).

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
9/11/24 10:26 p.m.

These seem like fun cars. My SIL has a non-abarth version and never wants to let it go. 

I don't have any answers for ya but I hope it goes smoothly!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/12/24 8:29 a.m.

Had a 2013 Abarth for 7-8 years and the only issue I ever had was near the end of ownership the driver door window regulator broke.  Last day at work before Xmas break, made for a chilly ride home.  Otherwise?  I did go through a few balljoint/axles up front, thinking the used coil overs I installed may have caused issues.

But engine problems?  Not a one.  Hopefully it's not too painful and you get to have some fun.  I still miss that exhaust.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/12/24 8:34 a.m.

My son has a regular 500 and it has had the misfire issue. Start with new plugs, but don't be surprised if one of the coils is bad. His car has about 175K on it now and has been a much better car than I expected when he bought it. Other than the misfire he's had to change a CV joint, maybe both sides (I forget), and the driver's side door handle. The thing is still solid and rattle free, no visible rust yet, and he does a 110 miles commute daily.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/12/24 8:46 p.m.

Well i had 45 min of light before the Skitters came out...  Pulled #2 COP and the plug plug looks clean.  Tried to check compression but I'm missing the 10mm thread adapter (son of a nutcracker).  tested in air plug fires well. reinstalled and reset codes and fire it up same code and motor boat sounds.  Swapped COP 2 and 3 reset codes and same result #2 misfire. with motorboat sound. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/24 2:19 p.m.

The engines tend to be pretty solid.  The only experience I had with one (non Abarth) was electrical everything.  Every time I hit the brake, it said I had a brake light out.  It was because they cheaped out and used (get this) 1157 bulbs.  Not even 3157, but 1950s tech.  Cleaning out the socket kept the warning light off for a couple weeks.  The whole thing had crusty grounds, error messages that came and went, and it even gave me a code for "shift solenoid A."  It was a manual.

The radio always come on to 93.5 when you turned the car on.

Super fun to drive, though.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/13/24 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Those are notorious for multiair issues. A bad multiair actuator/solenoid will cause low compression. 

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
9/13/24 3:30 p.m.
fatallightning said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Those are notorious for multiair issues. A bad multiair actuator/solenoid will cause low compression. 

I came here to say. I once had to replace a multiair unit due to a dead cylinder. That car is still on the road 6 years later

No Time
No Time UberDork
9/13/24 5:25 p.m.

What happen to RonnieFnD?

I believe he had some in-depth experience with the multi air engines.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/13/24 9:18 p.m.

Well, I couldn't wait for the adapter so I just bought a new tester. 140 0 135 135..... Thankfully the fitting on the plug adapter had the same fitting as my leak down tester so I could add air into the cyl as expected 100% leak down but its all out of the exhaust so My guess is a burnt exhaust valve. i tried to use my bore scope but all i could tell was the piston top was there. I did manage to get the valve cover off before the mosquitos came out to feast..

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/14/24 9:28 a.m.

Can anyone tell me what size the tork's / poly drive head bolts use?

My google fu is failing me loads of posts about needing good ones as they tend to snap off but no one says what size or brand works... I'm two hours down the rabbit hole...

Thank gang.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/24 9:28 a.m.

I have a 2012 Abarth. No problems at all with it, granted my car only has 25,000 miles on it. I am actually thinking of getting rid of it soon as I just do not drive it much. 

Known issues are the wiring to the hatch getting brittle from excessive usage (?)

door handles breaking from people being too rough on them.

driver's seat arm rest breaking from people putting too much weight on them when getting in or out.

Generally, be gentle on the car, but rough on the drive train and it will provide a lot of grins. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7bc15MzhZ8xBcBH1nGN3zMArnHEIA50Z4741ZPmjIiqmdEO09tcUITGxxH5QIoiw