1 2 3
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/21 9:52 a.m.
jimbbski said:

It would seem to me that with the advent of so many aluminum heads for the 5.0L Ford that someone could do that today. It's way easier to weld up an aluminum head then a cast iron one.

Given the prevalence of 3d printing, I would think that it's a good deal easier to come up with short-run cylinder heads nowadays. The 300 CI 6 would still be a tank, but at least it could be made to be a bit lighter and breathe better.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/18/21 10:50 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Aww.  These didn't make it through hotlinking

Here:

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/18/21 10:53 a.m.
jimbbski said:

I also love these engines.

I do remember reading soeme 30 years ago about some hot rodder/drag racer taking a pair of Boss 302 heads and cutting them up and welding them back together to make a canted valve crossflow head to bolt on to one of these blocks.  Don't remember how much HP it made but it was cool!

It would seem to me that with the advent of so many aluminum heads for the 5.0L Ford that someone could do that today. It's way easier to weld up an aluminum head then a cast iron one.

I think a cleveland head bolt pattern fits the bore spacing.

What this motor really needs is a cross flow head. The L head the stuck on it limits what you can do with it.

Is it possible to get the OEM exhaust to seal? I think thay all have exhast leaks.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/18/21 11:39 a.m.
ShawnG said:

One of my all time favourite engines. Love the Ford 300.

A little surprised they didn't use a 240 head and BBC rockers, considering they were doing "not a race motor but a stockish rebuild"

If it were mine, there would be a Quadrajet on there instead of a Holley.

A friend of mine bought a new F-150 in 1978 with a 300 six; he put a 240 head on it along with a Clifford 4 barrel intake and headers, and it ran pretty well.  The four speed overdrive transmission behind it didn't hold up as well, he had to rebuild that a couple times as I recall.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/18/21 11:44 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

If I remember, with a Cleveland mashup you have to get a custom cam because the valve pattern is switched.

My truck has 380K on it and the exhaust doesn't leak 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/18/21 12:23 p.m.

Here I am to post the obligatory link to the 300-swapped RX8 abomination that I wish I had bought when it was for sale. laugh

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=41526

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I mean.....why?

Definitely a more reliable engine than a slowly disintegrating magic Dorito but that's an odd swap

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/18/21 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know why the builder did it, but I like it because it's funny.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/21 6:43 p.m.

The intake manifold reminds me of a scene fom Alien.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
1/18/21 7:32 p.m.

One of my favorite engines. Was my top choice for a swap into my zephyr. The custom oil pan needed to keep the valve cover below the hood killed that. Simplicity means it ended up with a 302 but I would happily trade my big block 4x4  truck for another 2wd i6 

1/18/21 7:57 p.m.

I would probably happily have that engine in every car if I could.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/18/21 10:25 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
1/19/21 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

"Hydrogen Engine Center".

Woah. I'd consider buying that just for the conversation piece. Wonder how many documents they are willing to share on running it on that as a fuel?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/19/21 9:16 a.m.

To the OP, PN did a Ford 300 a few years ago.  This is a different motor and came from a utility vehicle (like some kind of loading machine).

My next project, hopefully, is a 60's Econoline with a slightly massaged 300 in it.  I know the small block Ford fits, but something about the grunt and reliable as gravity nature of these motors makes it more appealing.  Plus, I'm weird.  As a result, I've watched these videos a few times.

-Rob

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/19/21 10:20 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I can't find a working website for the company anymore, but apparently they also had 2 and 8 cyl versions available.  Not sure if those other two were also 300 based, though

https://www.heraldextra.com/business/hydrogen-engine-center-inc-delivers-oxx-power-engines-to-all-north-american-distributors/article_06aa0828-6b78-5c90-bc67-45a28388cf11.html

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
1/19/21 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That means there might be a Ford 300 based inline 8 somewhere.

heavy breathing

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/19/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Ford 400!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
1/19/21 10:34 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Ford 400!

"How much torque you got, son?"

I CAN RESTART THE HEART OF GOD

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
1/19/21 11:45 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Ford 400!

"How much torque you got, son?"

I CAN RESTART THE HEART OF GOD

And here I've only had insane notions of a flat 12...

Getting them bolted together at the mains would be hardest part. Well....and 2 rods sharing a journal but there's ways to take car of that. Cam drive is non issue with the gear drive. 

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/19/21 5:55 p.m.

All those old Ford Inline Sixes were incredible engines.  Growing up my dad's old '74 Maverick sat behind the house for years, at least 5 years.  It had the 170ci motor, the shifter for the 3-speed manual had broken off inside the steering column so dad just parked it.  I'd fire it up and move it 2 or 3 times every summer to mow under it, you could only get 1st gear and reverse.  I remember one COLD winter day, there was at least a half-inch of freezing rain accumulation and it was so cold that the ony vehicle in our little "neighborhood" (8 houses within about a mile of each other was a neighborhood for us) that would start was the one single car that was in a garage and it had a busted pinion gear in the rear end.  My buddy and I got to wondering....would the old Maverick start??  Choke, 3 pumps of the accelerator, hit the starter and she turned over in slow motion, like there was molasses in the crankcase, she popped, coughed, sputtered and then fired right up. Once it got some temperature built up, it idled like a sewing machine. Drove it around jump-starting all the cars and trucks in our neighborhood.....  Incredible machine.

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/19/21 6:03 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I too have a thing for odd and "different" engines.  I was dreaming up the idea of a modern take on the "rat rod" concept using something like a Cushman cab, homebrew tube chassis and a Fiat or Alfa Romeo twin-cam inline 4.  Nobody else would have one like it, it could be light, and that Lampredi designed twin-cam with an open header would sound like pure glory.......  wink  Plus I get the yawns whenever I see a hot-rod or rat-rod with the SBC cliche installed.....to me that just shows lack of imagination.  An air-cooled Corvair engine in a rat-rod would be cool to, and those things are a blast to work on!!

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/19/21 6:06 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to slowbird :

I mean.....why?

Definitely a more reliable engine than a slowly disintegrating magic Dorito but that's an odd swap

Because he could.  No other reason needed.  laugh Bonus:  He will almost certainly have the only one like it anywhere he goes.....

1/19/21 8:02 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That means there might be a Ford 300 based inline 8 somewhere.

heavy breathing

How about 2 300s side by side in a 9.8l H12?

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/20/21 12:49 a.m.

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/pts/d/wewahitchka-ford-300-6cyl-engine/7240991303.html

Don't know if that's a good deal or bad to the guys in the know, for a stock engine, but it fits the topic!

BTW, I know the 300 is a bigger cube than the 240, but same engine family. I saw a couple folks mention using a 240 head... what is the difference/advantage/disadvantage?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/20/21 1:01 a.m.

I paid $300 for a complete EFI engine with trans.  May be worth it to pick up that one.

240 Vs 300 is a stroke change, externally they are no different.  Easiest way to determine if you've got one is to take a plug out, stick a piece of coat hanger down it and turn it for one revolution.  If you've got (I think) 4" stroke its a 300, if its shorter than that its a 240.  240 is supposed to rev a bit higher when you build them.

240 head has smaller combustion chambers.  Its been a long while since I've looked up the exact numbers, but you go from around 8.5:1 to 9.5:1?  Doing the reverse gets you a nice low compression ratio for a turbo build.

The EFI head is also a smaller combustion chamber, so you can get the same benefit with it on a carbed motor, however the EFI head has a "fastburn" design that means you need to change your timing curve if you adopt it as a cyl head on a carbed motor.  You can also open up the head a bit if you want, but you lose a bit of the compression boost.  I think that the EFI engines, stock, are 8.9:1 or so?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7rvcdR0VdIp39BGtVCGJF6Fs5Q0ZEXA7JO4RyIAyA78U3LxPJw40tnPFAhtfueYu