1 2 3
clshore
clshore Reader
1/20/24 1:08 p.m.

... That said, even if DIY scans cannot work for the adaptor plate, there is still the challenge of stuffing the 
motor/trans into the motor/trans into the intended target vehicle, Spitire/GT6. (Yes, a 200-400 HP Spitfire)
Spitfires are like a 3D jigsaw puzzle, and despite the freedom of the hinged bonnet, there are several pain points.
The frame crossmember & steering rack limit sump clearance, the suspension turrets & steering shaft limit engine
width, the tub firewall & bellhousing opening & frame configuration limit transmission packaging.
The overall engine/trans stack length is shorter than the stock Spit, and the Getrag is short and narrow, so it
appears that the stack can be pushed back far enough that the motor pulley falls behind the rack & crossmember.
However, the L15B7 coolant plumbing and the intercooler routing to the intake manifold throttle body are
both routed around the transmission end of the motor.
So 3D scanning the motor/trans, the tub, the frame, steering shaft, suspension turrets, exhaust, etc. would be
an invaluable tool for packaging this swap and resolving confilicts.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/24 10:50 p.m.

Luckily my days of trying to stuff oversized engines into old chassis is past me. I however do want to figure out how to import 3D models in STL format (I think) and convert them into either DXF or DWG 3D solid models to use in my ancient AutoCAD Architectural Desktop 2004. Specifically a twin turbocharged C5-C7 Corvette LS3 engine, 6 speed transaxle, and front and rear suspensions. All freeware I hope. This is all new to me. How well does this stuff scale from one format to the next?

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
1/23/24 12:23 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Some CAD packages have built in tools for conversions from meshes (such as STL) to solid models. Fusion360 is free for personal use but I've only been able to get it to work for simple parts. Scans of engines and such generate huge point clouds that result in pretty complex meshes to retain dimensional accuracy.

There are probably simplified solid models out there for download for some of those. Personally I've been using scans to create simple solid models at interface points (eg: bosses on engine block for engine mount brackets) in order to design parts, then just using the stl to visually check clearances or identify other points of concern.

JustCallMeTy
JustCallMeTy New Reader
4/23/24 4:48 p.m.

In reply to enginenerd :

I too am using the Einstar 3D scanner for a REW swap in my brothers RX8.  I am finally getting into my own project but don't have access to the engine I want to scan.  Would you be willing to share your files with me? Awesome scans by the way!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/25/24 9:50 a.m.

Anyone tried the EXModel software from Shining 3d?  Just got an e-mail about it.

It looks to be a bridge for better converting point clouds into solid models.  I've messed with tools in Solidworks to do the same and have generally not been able to make a usable model.  I might have to try the free trial.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P5rdnI0U49JRag5i15nkpJ9nXDkXf22GuNJVCYvcC7MvwzTRpVuVyCmRcJ8vHO7s