1 2 3
SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
12/31/16 11:33 a.m.

Just be glad your 7.3 isn't in an Excursion (or a van) or you'd be looking at a $120+ GP module instead of a GPR. On the plus side I found that you can get OEM Motorcraft parts from Rockauto, although you may have to do a parts # search.

Yes these are expensive trucks - I spent $120 on a single sensor after paying $360 for a diagnostic scanner to find that it was the problem. Don't even look at what a set of injectors or an HPOP costs.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/16 12:03 p.m.

Umm....set of injectors for a 7.3L is comparably priced to any other diesel of the same vintage, and much lower cost than the newer versions. The 7.3L is not expensive by comparison.

calteg
calteg Dork
12/31/16 5:57 p.m.

Just found out my buddies' dad has a reg car 7.3L...I might have to go talk him out of that truck.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
12/31/16 7:34 p.m.

Do it. You won't regret it. This is my 3rd 7.3.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/16 7:59 p.m.

They are reliable. That doesn't mean they are perfect.

They are dirty, and extremely noisy. For highway cruising, the road noise level is rough. The transmissions shift mushy. In northern climates, cab corners are prone to rust. Also, the interiors are not up to par with their Chevrolet counterparts. I prefer the Duramax/ Allison for towing.

So, yeah I appreciate the reliability, and have driven one an enormous number of miles, but wouldn't mind an upgrade.

I would hesitate to recommend one to a driver who covered only an average number of miles, because of the premium price and the fuel cost.

They are not for everyone.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/16 8:31 p.m.

I've had 6.9s, 7.3s with and without turbos and the International version 444s in various tow trucks and rollbacks. Everything SVreX said is true but I would still run them today if I was in towing. They will run 24/7 in all kinds of conditions with almost no Maintainance. I worked for a guy that was pretty much broke and I went almost a year with no glow plugs starting the truck on ether in the morning and most of the winter with wiring problems so I had to start it by jumping the solenoid with pliers. As long is it had fuel and oil it happily chugged right along.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
12/31/16 9:10 p.m.

I prefer them to the chevy in every respect. I'll take a GM gas but not diesel. Plus, I find Ford to be more rugged as well. To me a truck should act like a truck. Plus, mine have always had a solid shift. GM is the one famous for mushy shifts.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/17 11:00 a.m.

In reply to markwemple:

Not with the Allison.

I've been driving a 7.3L for about 15 years, and really appreciate it for what it is. But the newest 7.3L is now 14 years old. They are REALLY dated, and lacking in virtually every way for anyone who wants some of the capacities of a modern diesel.

It is 4 generations old in the Ford product line (and yes, they've made some awful mistakes in that time)

I drove a Duramax recently, and see almost nothing about the 7.3L that begins to compare.

All I am saying is for anyone looking for a competent truck in the $15-20K price range (which is what you will have to pay for a good 7.3L), is that there are other options.

AND, that we should not elevate the 7.3L to god-like P71 kind of status. It's a dated truck, which was very competent in its day. That's about it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/17 11:03 a.m.

If I could kind a clean 7.3L for $8-12K, (which is what a 14-20 year old truck should be), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

They are not out there.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
1/1/17 11:44 a.m.

I love my 7.3 but when it dies, a Duramax will be the replacement.

We delivered a new one to a customer (long story). Standard cab, longbox 3/4 ton with a Duramax and an automatic.

What a wonderful engine.

Instant starts, smooth, quiet idle, tons of power and it comes on right away like a gas engine. No more "put your foot in it and wait" like older diesels.

That said, we've got 300,000 miles on out 7.3 and it shows no signs of stopping.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
1/1/17 12:27 p.m.
SVreX wrote: If I could kind a clean 7.3L for $8-12K, (which is what a 14-20 year old truck should be), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. They are not out there.

Like I said, they are quasi collectable. Hard to loose money on a good one.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/17 12:41 p.m.

In reply to markwemple:

I agree with your assessment of them being "quasi collectible". I do not expect that to remain the case.

At this point, any buyer with $15K will be looking at a pretty well-worn 7.3L that the owner is over-selling, or an exceptionally nice Duramax. Ford is about to start loosing market share in the used truck market.

The 6.0L is the best thing that ever happened for used Duramaxes.

The Duramax is a newer generation, more capable, and much nicer. Most loyal Ford buyers who want something slightly nicer than a 7.3L will avoid the 6.0L like the plague, and still have a few questions about the 6.4L. That leaves the 6.7L, which most people think is a nice truck, but it is twice the price. The same buyer can not afford a 6.7L. Therefore, those buyers will be looking at Duramaxes.

The Duramax will be the next "quasi collectible".

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/17 12:49 p.m.
calteg wrote: Just found out my buddies' dad has a reg car 7.3L...I might have to go talk him out of that truck.

eh? The 7.3 was never put in a car, ever.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/17 12:58 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
calteg wrote: Just found out my buddies' dad has a reg car 7.3L...I might have to go talk him out of that truck.

I think that was supposed to be regular cab.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
1/1/17 1:00 p.m.
Knurled wrote:

Sounds like a challenge idea. Price might be an issue.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/1/17 2:28 p.m.

I miss my 6.0

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/1/17 8:28 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote:
Knurled wrote:

Or the 1000 plus pound weight...

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
1/2/17 12:24 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
nutherjrfan wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Or the 1000 plus pound weight...

if you think about it bump stops are basically just really stiff springs... thats play ball in my book

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
1/2/17 1:16 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to markwemple: I agree with your assessment of them being "quasi collectible". I do not expect that to remain the case. At this point, any buyer with $15K will be looking at a pretty well-worn 7.3L that the owner is over-selling, or an exceptionally nice Duramax. Ford is about to start loosing market share in the used truck market. The 6.0L is the best thing that ever happened for used Duramaxes. The Duramax is a newer generation, more capable, and much nicer. Most loyal Ford buyers who want something slightly nicer than a 7.3L will avoid the 6.0L like the plague, and still have a few questions about the 6.4L. That leaves the 6.7L, which most people think is a nice truck, but it is twice the price. The same buyer can not afford a 6.7L. Therefore, those buyers will be looking at Duramaxes. The Duramax will be the next "quasi collectible".

I am pretty sure you are smoking rope with that assessment.

7.3s and the Cummins of the same vintage is the last of the "good diesels". Simple, cheap, durable, and style. They had all 4. Early Duramaxes were not the pinnacle of reliability, the 03+trucks are really ugly (the GMs are OK but the Chevys are awful), the interiors are cheap. Only sad part about the 7.3 is you could never get them in a cab with a factory sunroof.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/2/17 1:48 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

I'm pretty sure you are about to see quite a few responses from Duramax owners who disagree with you.

I've never owned a Duramax, so I can't respond to the reliability. I have, however, owned a Chevy HD, and am very familiar with the interior differences.

I can tell you the vast majority of the 1999-2007 Chevy HD trucks came equipped with a very upscale vinyl interior (which most people mistake for leather) which is one of the nicest truck interiors I've ever been in. The 1999-2007 Ford equivalent SD trucks mostly had the fabric interior, and most were grey. Not bad, if you have an affinity for nasty fabric that has had grease and sweat worn into it for over 300,000 miles.

There were the leather variants like the Lariat and the King Ranch, but they were the exception. I have never seen a Ford upscale vinyl interior.

The Chevy also came standard with no carpet and full molded rubber floor liners, which were far better (in a truck) than carpet. Molded floor mats were only available from Ford as an extra (after you already bought carpet, and tore it out). I have never seen a molded floor mat in a Ford in the wild.

As a used truck buyer, I'd take the Duramax interior over the 7.3L ANY day (unless I can find a stray Lariat leather interior whose seams have not separated).

I know we are now talking personal preferences, but as a solid truck user who is squarely in the center of the target demographic and someone who knows hundreds of truck owners, I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the interiors.

In fact, one of my great disappointments in the Ford interior is that it isn't more like the Chevy.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/2/17 2:29 p.m.

I dont like anything about my 99 silverado aside from the fact it has cloth seats. If it wasnt for a deal with my wife id sell it tomorrow and buy another ford for interior comfort alone. Interior is always more of an opinion then a standard.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/2/17 2:46 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

Is it a 1500, or an HD?

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
1/2/17 3:07 p.m.

I agree with 93gsxturbo. That's the info I've had from all thd diesel guys I know not on this site.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
1/2/17 6:25 p.m.

I have an 02 k3500 with the duramax allison combo. It blows the old 2000 model f250 4x4 I had away. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Ford, but there is no comparison between the two imo. Mine is the higher trim level with leather, heated seats, and for an hd it's a nice place to pass the time. I've done many 700 mile day trips pulling a two car trailer and the truck just eats it up. Currently I have another truck with a 7.3, but it's an f450 tow truck I use for personal use, so not much of a comparison other than I'd be happier with it if it had the Duramax/Allison combo. Oh and both have needed injectors...it was an easier and cheaper job on the 7.3, but that doesn't change the fact I much prefer the duramax/Allison trucks.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/2/17 11:23 p.m.

I may be known as a Chrysler fan but i dont have strong allegiances when it comes to half-ton and larger trucks. I've often said the f150 is my favorite of the half-tons of that time period. I've driven and worked on 7.3 trucks and as someone who does my own work, if i had to pick a diesel of the era I would try real hard for an 03+ Cummins truck. The cummins motor is ridiculously much easier to work on than the 7.3. And, if i was paying someone else to work on it, I'd probably buy a 6.0 Ford over a 7.3 anyway.

I like 7.3s but unless i end up in the position where I need to do some kind of paying work for 300k miles and it's the cheapest long-game option, I wouldn't buy one. Unless i wanted a diesel Excursion and couldn't find a 6.0.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tTyDhAQsY0FpGisMpFTzKavzDsZt865VY3gNEYo5Xz9EWBEm2i2a9UnwTuGcko8i