1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 9:04 a.m.

What does it take to get the Tokico Illuminas from the 2nd on the MX6 1st gen?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/27/11 9:10 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What does it take to get the Tokico Illuminas from the 2nd on the MX6 1st gen?

Fronts bolt on w/ no modifications.

Rears, you either have to grind down the spindle or pull the ears on the strut a little bit. That's it.

Took me about 2 hours to get my rears on, i could probably do it again in 30 minutes now that i know exactly what's needed.

On my car, i'm running 2nd gen GR2s and 2nd gen Megan Racing springs, with 1st gen strut mounts. Works fine.

Worth noting: Installing 2nd gen stuff will result in an additional 1-1.5" drop.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 9:15 a.m.

Any problems with hitting the bump stops with the 2nd gen stuff?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/27/11 9:18 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Does it mean I'm crazy if i say I really like that? That's just neat in a weird way.

Apparently we're both crazy...or so I've been told. And YES, you could get it with Recaro seats.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 9:22 a.m.

I haven't had any yet, and to the best of my knowledge, i have the most drastically lowered 1st gen around.

Word of advice, though: I wouldn't pair the 2nd gen GR2s with the 2nd gen Megan Racing springs on these cars. It's slightly underdamped. VERY comfy, but performance could be a little better.

If i were to replace my struts tomorrow, (i would keep the springs, they're perfect for a street car) i'd go with 2nd gen Illuminas up front, and 1st gen Tokico HP (blues) in the rear.

2nd gen front struts are shorter in the front, but same as 1st in the rear.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/27/11 9:24 a.m.

And for more of my personal 80's turbo lust, this mother berkeleyer was on eBay last year. Not sure what it sold for, but I should have at least popped in a $1k bid on it. My life will not be complete until I own one.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
1/27/11 10:03 a.m.

I forgot, the Audi 4000 CS Turbo Quattro.

I've always loved the look. And those older Audis had a great feel, more honest then today.

David

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/11 10:23 a.m.

Peugeot 505 Turbo

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 10:26 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Peugeot 505 Turbo

That may be the coolest Peugeot I have ever seen but I can't imagine getting parts for that esp. performance parts.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD New Reader
1/27/11 11:05 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Does anyone sell suspension bits for the MX6? IE coilovers, swaybars, etc.

Noltec, from Australia, makes poly bushings for them and the GC cars. And at one time H&R, Eibach, and Intrax (IIRC) made springs for them, which may show up used sometimes. I have the Eibachs on mine and like(d) them a lot.

I think you can still get Tokicos & Konis for them but they are spendy.

The rear strut tower brace came stock only on the 90-92, along with a lower control arm tie bar.

...I must be the most retarded person in the world because this thread is making me want to finish my FD only so I get going restoring my MX6.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
1/27/11 11:13 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: Man, there are some crapboxes in this thread! OK, the obvious crapbox choice is the turbo Omni-GLHT or GLHS

You ain't kidding!

A friend of mine picked up an 85 GLH-T and I got a ride in it a few months ago. It was my first ride in a Turbo Mopar (my CSX doesn't run yet) and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It looks like a total crapbox in every way, shape, and form, except it hauls the mail and handles well! My senses were at war with each other. The sounds and feel were right for something fast, but the smells and sights told me I was in a trash can! It was pure motivation to get going on my CSX.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 11:18 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Does anyone sell suspension bits for the MX6? IE coilovers, swaybars, etc.
Noltec, from Australia, makes poly bushings for them and the GC cars. And at one time H&R, Eibach, and Intrax (IIRC) made springs for them, which may show up used sometimes. I have the Eibachs on mine and like(d) them a lot. I think you can still get Tokicos & Konis for them but they are spendy. The rear strut tower brace came stock only on the 90-92, along with a lower control arm tie bar. ...I must be the most retarded person in the world because this thread is making me want to finish my FD only so I get going restoring my MX6.

I may almost be there with you. Mine has ALMOST made me want to ditch my Celica.

ALMOST.

I don't even know why, but they're just wonderful cars.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
1/27/11 11:26 a.m.

wA 240sx skyline swap can be done for around 1G if you use the smaller and Rev happy RB20. I'm working on one now.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/27/11 11:54 a.m.

Seems odd that Mazda would have had passive rear steer in the GD (or whatever, I don't think I knew it's chassis code until this discussion) on a car that had real four wheel steering available as an option. My 626 didn't have that, thankfully, I never heard anything great about the system.

You know, for all the jabber about how great the P71 is around here, these cars seem much better at everything short of towing.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/11 12:00 p.m.

Having owned at least 50% of the cars in this thread (XR4Ti, Turbo Coupe, RX-7, 944, Duster V6, Starion Turbo, Eclipse/Talon Turbo, MX-6 GT, Probe GT, and Impulse) I can assure that the really don't. Faster is going to be case-by-case and mod-by-mod, cooler for sure, but they are all a LOT older and a lot of them were not built well to begin with. Most of them are also 2-doors. Seriously cool cars though, and there's still some I need to own for the first time or again.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 12:01 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Seems odd that Mazda would have had passive rear steer in the GD (or whatever, I don't think I knew it's chassis code until this discussion) on a car that had real four wheel steering available as an option. My 626 didn't have that, thankfully, I never heard anything great about the system. You know, for all the jabber about how great the P71 is around here, these cars seem much better at everything short of towing.

Well, they do share the same potential issue of pulling the spark plug threads out of the head. But it's not that common anymore.

And no, the 4ws was not that great. It was complicated, and it's near impossible to find parts for it anymore. To make matters worse, it uses different swaybars and such, so modifying one is a pain in the ass.

The P71 has a big jump on these cars in sheer numbers. The GD/GC MX6/626 GT isn't a car that you can decide today that you want one, and be driving one by this weekend.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 12:03 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Having owned at least 50% of the cars in this thread (XR4Ti, Turbo Coupe, RX-7, 944, Duster V6, Starion Turbo, Eclipse/Talon Turbo, MX-6 GT, Probe GT, and Impulse) I can assure that the really don't. Faster is going to be case-by-case and mod-by-mod, cooler for sure, but they are all a LOT older and a lot of them were not built well to begin with. Most of them are also 2-doors. Seriously cool cars though, and there's still some I need to own for the first time or again.

That they don't what? I are confuzzled.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/11 12:05 p.m.

Don't compare to the P71, responding to pres589. Really they are too different to compare though honestly. As you pointed out, the P71 is newer and a dime a dozen, and I doubt there is a dozen total of all of the cars in this thread in any respective CL at any given time. They are getting pretty rare.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 12:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Don't compare to the P71, responding to pres589. Really they are too different to compare though honestly. As you pointed out, the P71 is newer and a dime a dozen, and I doubt there is a dozen total of all of the cars in this thread in any respective CL at any given time. They are getting pretty rare.

Ah gotcha. They might be better at a lot of things, but it's a waste of time to compare because of numbers/support/differences.

Makes sense.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/27/11 12:15 p.m.

I've got a non-driver version of one of these at the house right now. If it wasn't a piece of E36 M3 w/no title, it'd make a pretty rad DD:

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 12:25 p.m.

SHHHHHHHHHHH, one of those is my secret weapon in case the proposed ST rules go into effect.

But yes, those are SWEET cars, but they take more work to get to matching power levels of the other cars mentioned.

I'm not sure if i would rather have one of those or the GD MX6, honestly.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/11 12:40 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: I forgot, the Audi 4000 CS Turbo Quattro. I've always loved the look. And those older Audis had a great feel, more honest then today. David

Do you remember (or maybe you aren't old enough) that the rear defogger wiring spelled out QUATTRO on those models? Useless trivia, but kind of neat in a geeky way.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/27/11 12:49 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Raze wrote: Oh, did I mention you could easily put down over 200WHP on stock everything with a manual boost controller?
Oh man, that's awesome! 200 HP? Pft. I'm pretty sure I was at least 210+ on mine just with a Rapido intercooler, Gillis boost valve and LA3 computer. I loved how that car went... when it went. But can't say I cried when it went away.
That sounds weak if it's time for an internet brawl. The MX6 will put down 230whp+ and 300wtq with a boost controller. Boost controller only. BRING IT!! (of course, wrong wheel drive)

MX6 has an intercooler from the factory, XR4 does not, and can put down similar numbers with a boost controller, without an intercooler. Add intercooler and it'll be a fair fight, but it's still got right wheel drive and IRS, and you can fit some mean rubber under it. Suspension upgrades are cheap and easy, a set of Koni Yellows is under $500, add springs and a coilover conversion for the front and have yourself a killer adjustable suspension for way under $1000. Also you can replace every bushing with poly kits, T5 swaps are a driveshaft and adapter bolt in affair. Any T3 flanged turbo will fit on the stock manifold (Holset anyone?), a simple retune of the computer or MegaSquirt and you're looking at serious power even out of stock components. Upgrade fuel pump and injectors and blam, more power. Seriously, an XR4 should be considered one of the easiest and most fun 'bolt-on' power cars ever produced. Stock long blocks will head north of 400WHP before the rod bolts let go, pistons are forged. Swap rods and rod bolts and the skys the limit. You can literally cam and port your way to power on these cars if you desire. Pick a path any path and the XR4 will return with more, what say you of your Mazda now?

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 1:08 p.m.
Raze wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Raze wrote: Oh, did I mention you could easily put down over 200WHP on stock everything with a manual boost controller?
Oh man, that's awesome! 200 HP? Pft. I'm pretty sure I was at least 210+ on mine just with a Rapido intercooler, Gillis boost valve and LA3 computer. I loved how that car went... when it went. But can't say I cried when it went away.
That sounds weak if it's time for an internet brawl. The MX6 will put down 230whp+ and 300wtq with a boost controller. Boost controller only. BRING IT!! (of course, wrong wheel drive)
MX6 has an intercooler from the factory, XR4 does not, and can put down similar numbers with a boost controller, without an intercooler. Add intercooler and it'll be a fair fight, but it's still got right wheel drive and IRS, and you can fit some mean rubber under it. Suspension upgrades are cheap and easy, a set of Koni Yellows is under $500, add springs and a coilover conversion for the front and have yourself a killer adjustable suspension for way under $1000. Also you can replace every bushing with poly kits, T5 swaps are a driveshaft and adapter bolt in affair. Any T3 flanged turbo will fit on the stock manifold (Holset anyone?), a simple retune of the computer or MegaSquirt and you're looking at serious power even out of stock components. Upgrade fuel pump and injectors and blam, more power. Seriously, an XR4 should be considered one of the easiest and most fun 'bolt-on' power cars ever produced. Stock long blocks will head north of 400WHP before the rod bolts let go, pistons are forged. Swap rods and rod bolts and the skys the limit. You can literally cam and port your way to power on these cars if you desire. Pick a path any path and the XR4 will return with more, what say you of your Mazda now?

The only thing that you can do that the Mazda can't is power the right tires.

Nobody knows what the upper limits of this motor are. It's ALL forged.

Unfortunately, that's also it's weakness. The car is utterly incapable of harnessing the power it can make in a proper way.

I will freely give you the win, but it ain't on basis of power or suspension. Just for the bare basics of the car.

(PS: LOL at calling what the mazda has an "intercooler." It's a pretty weaksauce unit.)

Raze
Raze Dork
1/27/11 1:12 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: The only thing that you can do that the Mazda can't is power the right tires. Nobody knows what the upper limits of this motor are. It's ALL forged. Unfortunately, that's also it's weakness. The car is utterly incapable of harnessing the power it can make in a proper way. I will freely give you the win, but it ain't on basis of power or suspension. Just for the bare basics of the car. (PS: LOL at calling what the mazda has an "intercooler." It's a pretty weaksauce unit.)

hey, at least it's there :) though I agree, the motor in the MX6 is sick, it's unfortunate it was coupled the way it was...

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0T5O9mrq8xBxbKk3xu19eX6JcStSRYpb5YOA8NsBG0NdU5Tt4MsF0qHugvF6zMCq