1 2
Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
9/8/08 12:53 p.m.

This past weekend, while attending an air show, I got the chance to ride in the new Hyundai Genesis V8. A local dealer had set up a test autocross track on part of the runway and were giving rides in the Genesis handled by professional drivers. My first look at the car didn't really invite any excitement. It's styling is somewhat derivative of several other sedans built off shore. In fact, if you took off the Hyundai badges, you'd probably think it was a Nissan or Toyota.

There were several V6 and V8 versions set up for rides. Of course, I wanted a hot lap in the V8. I had the dealer open the hood. I wanted to see the engine. Couldn't see much, but it did look somewhat "Northstarish". But then, four cam V8's probably all look that way by design. Anyway, once aboard, I buckled in and the demo driver took off. For the next 30 or so seconds, I got slammed back in the seat from the burst of acceleration, bent sideways in several tight turns and jammed forward when the brakes got hit! Throw in some drifting around the turns, the delicious sound of that V8 revving to the stratosphere and the smell of burning rubber… and I actually saw myself buying one of these things… It was great! Then the $41,000 sticker hit me and I came back to reality. That's a lot of dosh for a… Hyundai…

And therein lies the problem. I'm sure it's an excellent car, but, it's quite untested long-term. Let's face it… for that kind of coin, I can get my hands on a new Dodge Challenger. Still, this car address's a different customer base. Let's say, I hope they do well…

Greg

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/8/08 1:04 p.m.

im looking forward to the coupe, i just dont like the newer prices i have seen listed, 20 & 25 K

WilD
WilD Reader
9/8/08 1:04 p.m.

I know I would never consider it because I see all Hyundais as just a cheap Korean knockoff of other cars. I don't know much about their newer offerings, but when I was looking at the possibility of purchasing one some years back that is exactly what they were. There isn't really anything wrong with that, but it hurts you when you try to move upscale with your market offerings. I know the people who spend $41K on a Hyundai will hate to hear this, but I don't think they will get much respect.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/8/08 1:10 p.m.

Get the G8 GT for $11K less

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/8/08 1:19 p.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/05/first-hyundai-genesis-coupe-commercial-hits-korea-pricing-revea

wow, coupe pricing has gone up alot, 30k for the v6

Mental
Mental SuperDork
9/8/08 1:29 p.m.
WilD wrote: I know I would never consider it because I see all Hyundais as just a cheap Korean knockoff of other cars. I don't know much about their newer offerings, but when I was looking at the possibility of purchasing one some years back that is exactly what they were. There isn't really anything wrong with that, but it hurts you when you try to move upscale with your market offerings. I know the people who spend $41K on a Hyundai will hate to hear this, but I don't think they will get much respect.

Fair enough, but these are the same things said about Honda and Toyota. Granted, they took decades to move across the spectrum in the same method Hyundia and Kai are doing now, but they did do it.

Its the same business model. Build a reputation for reliability, offer some luxury amenities, then build a serious flagship. This one won;t be a hot for them (think back to the first gen Sonatas) but it will pave the way for a 41K luxury Hyundai to be acceptable.

Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
9/8/08 1:36 p.m.

But, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan all built "branch" upscale divisions (Acura, Lexis and Infinity). It allows the customer to "sooth" his or her apprehention about putting down a lot of dough on one of those vehicles. The problem with a 41K Hyundai is that... well... it's still a Hyundai....

It's a perception issue difficult to get over...

Greg

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
9/8/08 1:37 p.m.
Mental wrote:
WilD wrote: I know I would never consider it because I see all Hyundais as just a cheap Korean knockoff of other cars. I don't know much about their newer offerings, but when I was looking at the possibility of purchasing one some years back that is exactly what they were. There isn't really anything wrong with that, but it hurts you when you try to move upscale with your market offerings. I know the people who spend $41K on a Hyundai will hate to hear this, but I don't think they will get much respect.
Fair enough, but these are the same things said about Honda and Toyota. Granted, they took decades to move across the spectrum in the same method Hyundia and Kai are doing now, but they did do it. Its the same business model. Build a reputation for reliability, offer some luxury amenities, then build a serious flagship. This one won;t be a hot for them (think back to the first gen Sonatas) but it will pave the way for a 41K luxury Hyundai to be acceptable.

Good points. And Hyundai is starting to get a rep for good quality and reliability. I wouldn't spend that coin on that car myself, but they are sticking to a proven formula, and so far are succeeding at it.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/8/08 1:39 p.m.

My understanding is that Hyundai is taking a slightly different model from 'Yota/Honda. I've heard that, rather than attempting to compete with companies that have become established for building the most solid dependable cars, they chose to aim more at the American companies by building a better-than-average car that is loaded to the gills with standard features (cut costs by making them standard) and then selling them for cheap. They're aiming for best value rather than best quality.

Clearly they save money on styling departments by just stealing elements from whatever cars they're aiming to market against.

What I want to know is: is there a stick shift available?

Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
9/8/08 1:45 p.m.
Salanis wrote: My understanding is that Hyundai is taking a slightly different model from 'Yota/Honda. I've heard that, rather than attempting to compete with companies that have become established for building the most solid dependable cars, they chose to aim more at the American companies by building a better-than-average car that is loaded to the gills with standard features (cut costs by making them standard) and then selling them for cheap. They're aiming for best value rather than best quality. Clearly they save money on styling departments by just stealing elements from whatever cars they're aiming to market against. What I want to know is: is there a stick shift available?

Currently, no stick. I asked....

Greg

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/08 2:35 p.m.

FWIW and FWIU the Hyundai will not get a manual but a very nice 7 speel DSG type gearbox or a regular automatic (6 spd iirc)

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/8/08 3:16 p.m.

I feel like I'm being done a disservice if I don't have the option to clutch-kick in the inexpensive RWD coupe of the future.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
9/8/08 3:36 p.m.

How many people that slam Hyundais have ever owned or even driven one? Hyundais were better designed and built than equivalent american cars from the early 90s on. Cheap, easy to work on, reliable, even potent powertrains. I have a feeling most people slamming Hyundais are driving around in POS american crapboxes and are simply trying to make themselves feel better.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/08 4:08 p.m.

Says the automotive engineer ;)

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
9/8/08 4:13 p.m.

One thing that will work in the grassroots favor is the abysmal depreciation on Hyundais. I'm sure these will do a little better at first, since they're new, but give it a few years and these will be on the used market for cheap.

Duke
Duke Dork
9/8/08 4:26 p.m.
WilD wrote: I know I would never consider it because I see all Hyundais as just a cheap Korean knockoff of other cars. I don't know much about their newer offerings, but when I was looking at the possibility of purchasing one some years back that is exactly what they were.

Drive a new one. They are not that any more.

TJ
TJ New Reader
9/8/08 5:21 p.m.

I drove an Azera as a rental and it was really a nice car. It was as good of a copy of a Camry (without looking like the exhaust is falling off the bottom of the car - why does Toyota insist on that anyway?)

Anyway, it was a very nice car and had more features than others 4 door cars for the price.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/08 5:55 p.m.

I'd like to see Hyundai take the V8, couple it to a 6-speed manual with a good chip and generic harness, and market it to the enthusiast community. With their cheaper manufacturing, they could significantly undercut the LS series, and would get all sorts of street cred if they started showing up in hot rods, Locosts and track cars.....

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/8/08 6:13 p.m.

Is this the car that a year back people were saying was sort of a cross between a RWD Tiburon and the second coming of the AE86?

Seems to me that it is more of a G35 sedan and coupe alternative.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/8/08 6:17 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Is this the car that a year back people were saying was sort of a cross between a RWD Tiburon and the second coming of the AE86? Seems to me that it is more of a G35 sedan and coupe alternative.

I think that was always the point. The majority of people out there aren't familiar with or pine for an AE86. They probably know, and likely want, the G35. Or an IS300, or other RWD luxury sedan.

I'm pretty sure this will still undercut the price of a G35 or Lexus by a healthy margin. I'd even wager the build quality will be at least as good as the Infinity.

katonk
katonk New Reader
9/8/08 7:00 p.m.

Sounds like there's some confusion with the Genesis; for some reason Hyundai is using the same name for two very different cars. One Genesis is a luxury sedan powered by either a V8 or a V6. They've started running ads on tv and I gotta admit, its a nice looking car. Reminds me of the Mercedes S-class.

Then, there's the Genesis coupe to be offered with either a V6 or a turbo-4. It looks alright, but styling is very different from the Genesis sedan. I don't get the impression that the two cars share much.

At $40k, the Genesis sedan loses a lot of its appeal for me. But, it sounds like Hyundai was modeling the car after the big Mercedes and Lexus sedans, rather than other $35k-$40k sedans like the 335i and IS350.

If the quality is there (I'm always wary of new model gremlins) and they depriciate like other Hyundai cars, both Genesis models could be used market steals.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
9/8/08 7:38 p.m.

to be honest i haven't even ridden in one and id totally boink one...

but id have to drive it before spending that kind of coin ofcourse :)

wait, does it come with a true standard 5/6speed or one of those Geytronic shifterpaddles?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
9/8/08 8:04 p.m.

FWIW, Hyundai seems to be comparing it to the BMW 550i in their commercials, rather than a 3 series or an IS, so that gives you an idea of their intended competition.

dkreindler
dkreindler New Reader
9/9/08 10:46 p.m.

Guys, understand that this is NOT an enthusiast car by any measure. It is a nice car for professionals to drive to work in. I've driven the V6 and yeah it's a snooze (although it drives better than say, an ES350) but when you put it against a big Lexus, its stunning. Dead quiet, filled with luxurious features, top notch cabin and relatively competent driving dynamics.

If I had $70,000 I'd buy a Lexus LS460, but I don't, and I'd be nuts to buy anything but a Genesis. It does all the same things and unless you're an insecure badge snob, you'd be overpaying by getting anything else.

dkreindler
dkreindler New Reader
9/9/08 10:46 p.m.

Guys, understand that this is NOT an enthusiast car by any measure. It is a nice car for professionals to drive to work in. I've driven the V6 and yeah it's a snooze (although it drives better than say, an ES350) but when you put it against a big Lexus, its stunning. Dead quiet, filled with luxurious features, top notch cabin and relatively competent driving dynamics.

If I had $70,000 I'd buy a Lexus LS460, but I don't, and I'd be nuts to buy anything but a Genesis. It does all the same things and unless you're an insecure badge snob, you'd be overpaying by getting anything else. $41,000 is a lot for a Hyundai but a bargain for what you get.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wiiVT4iLof0lB73PdnIh5Z7GltnAOqTUjPNKk51Ku61OffQjf3wrxLNEOjjCCMxv