1 2 3 4
Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/24 6:29 p.m.

Me want.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
3/7/24 6:42 p.m.

I really like the sounds of this car. Sounds like it hits all the buttons. 

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS New Reader
3/7/24 7:01 p.m.

I was think more like an AMC/Yugo offspring.  To be clear, this is a good thing!

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 7:09 p.m.

I was going to say Yugo... but I'm sure this one comes with a glove box standard.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/24 7:22 p.m.

In reply to 4bangin :

Two of them, actually! Because gloves come in pairs, duh.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah, they don't call them gloves boxes.  cheeky

I, for one, welcome our new electric overlords.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/7/24 7:37 p.m.

I'll hold judgment until I see some dimensions. Like the Hyundai EV6, I expect this to be bigger than the styling suggests. It's a good looking piece, but I like small cars. The R2 is 15.5 feet long and 75" wide, and the R3 shares the platform and is pictured on 30" tires, so we'll see how big it really is.

Keith Tanner
3/7/24 7:42 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Wheelbase suggests it's about the size of a CX-5 in terms of length and height. Width is pretty close assuming the same track width as the R2.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/7/24 7:46 p.m.

Okay, that "RX3+" looks pretty hot. I'd drive one for sure. 

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 7:47 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/24 8:01 p.m.
4bangin said:

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

I'm sure the people forced into Cobalt mining appreciate your blind acceptance.

EV haters suddenly all about social justice. surprise

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think I once expressed my opinion of EVs, but good try there.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/24 9:10 p.m.

I love it. But I do wish the would move past the whole 3 second zero to sixty thing. How about 7 seconds to sixty at under $30k?

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 9:17 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

Have you met the Chevy Bolt?

In reply to 4bangin :

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/7/24 10:04 p.m.

Yep news radio in ATL today said Rivian halted the GA plant to save $2B. I know they spent a lot already.

I think if they weren't building Amazon vans they'd be gone already, despite making some really cool trucks that I will never purchase at that cost. 

Edit:

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/rivian-puts-plan-to-build-5b-plant-in-georgia-on-hold

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
3/7/24 10:28 p.m.

I like a lot of things about this, but at a 110in wheelbase I suspect the scale will be comically different than hot hatches of the past (and present) and even after lowering it will be quite tall/large.

While technically it may be a (very) hot hatch, for some reason I equate hot hatch with smaller cars.

Excited for an R4x though! 

Keith Tanner
3/7/24 10:37 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

I love it. But I do wish the would move past the whole 3 second zero to sixty thing. How about 7 seconds to sixty at under $30k?

In an ICE, economy and performance are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum. But EVs work differently. The performance is basically a side effect of long range and efficient motors. Big motors are more efficient than little ones - and they also happen to deliver more torque. The rate of discharge of a battery is directly proportional to the capacity of the battery - so if you have enough battery for 300 miles of range, you also have the ability to deliver a huge slug of power to your big motors.

And voila, your car built for maximum efficiency and range just happens to have monster performance.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/8/24 2:21 a.m.

Second part of this interview goes over R3/R3X.. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/24 7:22 a.m.

I like it.  Don't really have a need for it, but definitely cool to see. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 7:57 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Yep news radio in ATL today said Rivian halted the GA plant to save $2B. I know they spent a lot already.

I think if they weren't building Amazon vans they'd be gone already, despite making some really cool trucks that I will never purchase at that cost. 

Edit:

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/rivian-puts-plan-to-build-5b-plant-in-georgia-on-hold

Actually, they have spent very little. Almost zero.

The site work and pad were built by the Joint Development Authority of the State of GA.  The deal was the JDA would deliver a build-ready pad, and Rivian would build the plant.

Rivian agreed to spend $5 billion and create 7500 jobs by a deadline date.  That contract is still in place.

The JDA retains ownership of the site, and has a plan in place to transfer ownership if Rivian fulfills their part of the bargain.

The people who are losing in this deal are the taxpayers in the State of GA.  It's also a very bad indicator for the financial health of Rivian, and for the electric car industry.

Stock advisors have been down on Rivian for a long while.  Their long term plan to save the company by scaling to 10X their current production levels in just a couple years is a big Hail Mary. 

I like the RX3 concept. But I really question the financial viability.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/8/24 8:02 a.m.

Damn that is one sexy beast.  The pic with the Ronal's on it is magical.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/24 8:06 a.m.

I really like the R3X, just needs some box flares. hopefully Rivian doesn't go the way of fisker.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/8/24 9:07 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

And voila, your car built for maximum efficiency and range just happens to have monster performance.

With so much of "they said" BS surrounding the whole EV thing, I tune most of it out. 
I wasn't a fan of all the bragging about 3 sec 0-60, either... but I hadn't bothered to think it through (I'm not part of their audience, so haven't cared enough to)

But you are 100% correct on that! And thanks for stating it in a way that made me think that through laugh

Ill be too old to drive myself, long before I could afford one, but the aesthetics are coming along nicely. 
And the gentleman that mentioned less diameter tires, and lower, nailed it, as well as your "mods" did!!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/24 9:30 a.m.

I think this is the hot ev hatch y'all are clamoring for.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c3WTrASMVSRnbjU3Ij9L8i2RaBgmXsMH9qLKAcqrcEqFN16Gz6mQRxRWTgtjlXSc