1 2 3 ... 6
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/15 2:59 p.m.

The use of acronyms around this place is getting to be a PITA.

Can we back it up a bit for us that don't have a clue as to that is being talked about.

And yes I expect the next ten posts to be nothing but acronyms. Just because.... . . Well it is GRM after all.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/30/15 3:03 p.m.

FiST= Ford Fiesta ST

FoST= Ford Focus ST

I think that is what was buggin you

dean1484
8/30/15 3:11 p.m.

MS3

There were others that were the same as the RX7 nomenclature. (don't remember exactly what it was.)

I know we use Acro-speak when texting. And I post alot from my phone but is it really that hard to spell out what you mean?

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
8/30/15 3:13 p.m.

Welcome to the automotive world where people have been using abbreviated nomenclature since the beginning. You want us to spell out antilock braking systems and engine control units as well?

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/30/15 3:17 p.m.

In reply to dean1484: Mazdaspeed 3

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/30/15 3:17 p.m.

yes please … since not all of us are knowledge beyond ABS … especially engine codes (haven't a clue what cars they refer to) … and as far as anything in the engine beyond ECU would be helpful … I just found out the other day what EGR was … when the use of acronyms gets on my nerves I usually just go on to another thread … (other choice is to google it )

dean1484
8/30/15 3:21 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

Yes. Thank you!!!! Especially when one can mean two or three different things.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/30/15 3:21 p.m.

STI = Subaru Technica International

WRX = World Rally X

dean1484
8/30/15 3:25 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote: In reply to dean1484: Mazdaspeed 3

But what it also means Meggasquirt version 3.

Someone actually responded in a thread all about the MS3 but it was the other MS3. I actually thought it was about MS3 and it was just the other MS3.

Got it?

And it had nothing to do with the MS2 V3.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
8/30/15 3:25 p.m.

I find acronyms useful beyond shortened text such as if someone doesnt know the acronym the more than likely do not know the subject its pertaining to. For instance the ms3 thread the guy was asking about people with experience in the car, if you dont know what ms3 is you dont have any pertinent info on the subject. Yes I understand there is the rare chance there are two things by the same acronym but if you read more than one sentence you can figure out which ms3 he is referring to.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
8/30/15 3:27 p.m.

I just ask if I don't know what someone is saying when they go all TLA on a subject.

TLA = Three Letter Acconym

From my time at Motorola. They had an entire book for TLA's including TLA.

dean1484
8/30/15 3:29 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

But what if I am interested in learning about said Acronym. Now we have to be in the know to participate? So much for inclusion here at GRM

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/30/15 3:42 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: The use of acronyms around this place is getting to be a PITA. Can we back it up a bit for us that don't have a clue as to that is being talked about. And yes I expect the next ten posts to be nothing but acronyms. Just because.... . . Well it is GRM after all.

Kind of ironic that you used two acronyms in your post against acronyms.

However, I agree - people need to remember that everyone reading their posts may or may not be intimately familiar with what they're talking about.

dean1484
8/30/15 3:47 p.m.

Yep.. . . guilty as charged. I need to work on it as well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/30/15 4:04 p.m.

I still don't know what "disco" is. I thought it was the BRZ FRS (those aren't acronyms btw) twins, but apparently not.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/30/15 4:08 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Or this

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/15 4:18 p.m.

Omgwtfbbq...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/15 4:20 p.m.
chiodos wrote: Welcome to the automotive world where people have been using abbreviated nomenclature since the beginning. You want us to spell out antilock braking systems and engine control units as well?

But it's different everywhere. A TB means a timing belt or a throttle body depending on what clioque you're reading. FI means either fuel injection or forced induction. And so forth.

dean1484
8/30/15 4:25 p.m.

I want some car manufacturer to make a car or truck called the "SNAFU". I am thinking Hyundai would do it.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/15 4:26 p.m.

Well, SWMBO can't have MSG so she did not enjoy RVA.

And no auto related acronyms were used...

But what kind of ATF do you use with your DSG?

dean1484
8/30/15 4:26 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote: In reply to aircooled: Or this

ROFL.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/15 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock:

Both of those are evil incarnate.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/30/15 4:35 p.m.

Dean is asking everyone to take some extra spelling time before posting, to ensure complete comprehension?

Is it being mean-spirited to say I'm amused?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/15 5:01 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote: STI = Subaru Technica International WRX = World Rally X

The WRX was the next generation of RX, which was built from 1985 to at least 1989. (Although I SWEAR that I saw a Loyale RX at one time)

dean1484
8/30/15 5:01 p.m.
Kia_Racer wrote: TLA = Three Letter Acconym

Not to be confused with the other T and ....

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XtA3ey9nf5JsEUXUBxzxL0w8VSxz3mTAa4zmHKRn3KzkLsPVYYar5iH6EdsGOrJK